Why is Life Expectancy in the USA So Low Compared to Other Countries?

by RubaDub 45 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yeah you have to understand the American culture. Our country has a society that is prone to excesses of many kinds.

redvip ...

But I still don't understand how our neighbors in Canada, who have access to the same foods as we do, have average lives 3-4 years longer than we do.

Rub a Dub

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

1 thing - Not having affordable healthcare nationwide.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUBADUB:

We have a lot of stress here in the US.

There are too many people being allowed to come in - both legally and illegally. We have lost millions of jobs over the last four or five decades due to outsourcing, offshoring and people coming in on special visas who will work for lower pay than people already here.

I have lived here my whole life and can tell you that everything is dirtier and more expensive. Crumbling infrastructure because things didn’t get fixed because money was siphoned off to god knows where..Crime has increased dramatically. In my suburban area the traffic is outrageous because people have fled from crime infested urban areas and naturally want to be in a safer area that’s not a war zone..

All these things take their toll on people’s health.

• Tapioca
    Tapioca

One measure to consider is infant mortality. In calculating the numbers, it's tough to overcome those zeros. The U.S. is shameful for lack of maternal and infant care.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We have a lot of stress here in the US ....There are too many people being allowed to come in - both legally and illegally.

Long Hair Gal ...

Canadians, correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that you are very welcoming to people to live in Canada. When in Toronto and Vancouver, I feel like I see people from virtually every part of the world, just like New York City. We had a branch office of our company in Toronto. Maybe 35 people worked there. And I would guess the people were originally from at least 15 different countries. Then go to Vancouver, BC. I felt like I was in Hong Kong when I was there. Fantastic city. (By the way, if you like sushi, Sushi Town in North Vancouver, 1227 Marine Drive, is fantastic. It actually shares the building with a McDonalds, so walk in and turn right for McNuggets, left for sushi).

Back to the point, are Canadians less stressed than Americans that ultimately affects their health? If so, why?

Rub a Dub

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have a strong feeling as to why the United States ranks where it does on life expectancy is not so much the health care but all the crap the food industry puts in our food, sugar being the main culprit. They put sugar and lots of it in EVERYTHING we eat even if it does not require it. I was watching a documentary where they were talking about this, which was what made me aware of the problem, and how bad it is.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Rub a Dub, we actually have very sub-par health care here in the US. Many people have nothing.

Just the health insurance red tape and treatment delays no doubt costs lives. People (in my family and my friends) waiting weeks for appointments, treatments, medicines (what you can get approved by the insurance company - you have to take what they'll allow you, even if your doctor has something better in mind), and the non-stop merry-go-round of being referred to different doctors and waiting weeks between appointments.

We spend a good amount of our health care dollar on bureaucratic red tape. I know several people who spend hours every week managing this for the elderly people in their lives. Hours lost driving to appointments, waiting, being referred elsewhere, etc.

Americans really have very little choice about health care. It's all about big insurance and big pharma. You can't do anything without permission from your insurance company, and you can't do it even a day earlier than approved.

Shortens not only the life of the patient but of the caregivers too. But, statistically, this would be hard to prove.

I just paid a hospital bill I didn't feel I owed (had already paid hundreds in co-pays invoiced over three months) and the provider couldn't even explain what the charge was even about. BUT if I don't pay they can sue me and ruin my credit. It's like being mugged.

Do I sound bitter?

And overall I'm healthy, managing my health in lots of ways that wouldn't ever be covered by that high dollar insurance I pay for each month.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Here's an alternate point of view: what these statistics prove is that there is no (or little) correlation between the amount of money a nation has, and the life span of its citizens.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Diet and lifestyle is what usually determines a higher life expectancy from my understanding.

More veggies, less meat, less sugar, more exercise.

It's proven that the less you eat, the longer and healthier your life expectancy will be.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    Here's an alternate point of view: what these statistics prove is that there is no (or little) correlation between the amount of money a nation has, and the life span of its citizens.

Well that's not realy a valid point.

Check out the stats for wealthy vs poor and health in the USA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit