What Did You HATE Most About Being a Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

What i hated the most was just pure and simple: being different. I detested when I couldn't put my hand over my heart and say the pledge of allegiance. I hated when the girls cornered me in the bathroom in sixth grade and were asking why my dress was so long. I hated being liked so much by my classmates and not being able to go to their birthday slumber parties. Every time I turned around, my difference was such a big problem. Kids don't need anymore problems. They want to fit in, they want to run and play with other kids like them, they don't want to be singled out. I just wanted to be like other kids: to play. That's not a big job to ask! My religion caused me so many problems... because I was just so different that special things had to be done for me. It caused a big uproar. I didn't want that.. I just wanted to be normal.

Thank heaven its not like that now... I stil have two family members in the JW's.. but most of them are out and they share Xmas and Thansgiving with us. That is gratifying..

CG

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Like a few others here, I hated the back biting and gossip the most... I hated that pretense at affection and I hated the elders "lording" it over everyone else... and the worst of all... I hated that it took me almost 10 years to find out I was wasting my time! And for a time I hated myself for being so stupid ..... but I'm over that for the most part... I'm glad I'm well and truly out of that! I think a cold beer is in order!

Inq

edited for spelling... *sigh*

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

Minimus that is so true "to be a good jw you have to learn to do things that are unnatural"

An Elder brought out in one of his talks how JWs that were extroverts had an easier time being a JW. At the time I was thinking why would Jehovah have a religion that favored people that were of the outgoing type, it hardly seems fair when our lives are at stake. The religion doesn't take into account (or even wants, it seems) people with a timid type of personality that can't adapt. I was never able to adapt, so I figured I was destined to be bird food at Armageddon because of the personality I was born with. Quite a heavy load to carry.

Hapgood

• micheal
    micheal
    When my cong would have the Sunday meeting in the afternoon during the NFL season......

I hear you austrian - this drove me crazy, especially during the playoffs

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

One of the biggest issues I have with the WTS is their negative stance on higher education. Though they supposedly eased up on it back in '92 or '93, the old message is still loud and clear. To illustrate: I only attended half of one day of this year's DC, and yet I heard them emphasize their anti-college stance several times. It was the Sunday morning session, which focused on youths. I wish I could tell all of them, "don't listen to their short-sighted and selfish advice; you'll never have a better opportunity to seek education than when you're young." I know, because both my wife and I got their narrow viewpoint foisted upon us.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Though they supposedly eased up on it back in '92 or '93, the old message is still loud and clear.

Agreed. I just missed the window of opportunity on this one. I graduated in 1993 just when they started making some changes and higher education became acceptable (but only under certain conditions). But by this time I had made no preparations... no SATs, no scholarship applications, nothing. Fortunately I have a great job and am paid like a college graduate, but so many of my JW peers were not.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Having all decided for you by the watchtower, you gotta do this not do that etc.... And the door to door of course....

• marsal
    marsal

Hapgood,

I felt exactly as you did. I was also timid and introverted. Going door to door was absolute agony for me.

Marianne

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Being temporarily insane. !!!!!!!!

Guest 77

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Feeling like I was so different from the rest "of the world" Not just the holidays but EVERYTHING!!! Just didn't fit in anywhere.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit