Help - I'm going to be conducting the watchtower study

by Saltheart Foamfollower 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

Maybe when you come across new beliefs (they sometimes show up in the study) you could bring up what we used to believe.

Sometimes those doctrines were followed for many decades, like the "generation".

Good luck, I'm sure the audience will appreciate someone who isn't just a mindless drone, but is actually showing intelligence.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Thanks for all of the comments so far - given me a lot to think about. I don't find it easy spouting out the (sometimes damaging) nonsense, but while I am still undercover I figure I will do as much as possible to help individuals. The enemy is the org not the members.

Obviously I do other items as well and can slip more things in then, but I'm by myself. Everyone has access to the wt study which is why I want any of you to help if possible.

I had already been avoiding taking the study for a while. This time the only real alternative would have been to resign and I have personal reasons for not wanting to do that just yet. The more I have thought about it though, the more I think it is an opportunity to do some good.

And if it all goes wrong, hopefully I'll provide some entertainment for a while!

SF

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Good luck!

Make sure that an accomplice is recording video if you ever go out with a bang ;-)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Leaving_quietly and berrygerry made great points!

Use questions to make them think.

BUT, ask the questions like: "So, this point would seem unusual to non witnesses, HOW would we explain it to them?"

OR

"so if a return visit questioned the strangeness of this paragraph, WHAT could we say?"

OR

"So how did the context of this quote fit in with what was in the paragraph? Did anyone research it more?"

• mrquik
    mrquik

I'd love to have a shot again on the stage. Remember we used to "Make Sure of All Things". Get them thinking if you can. Good Luck.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I was the wt conductor until I learned ttatt. I couldn't do it after and literally stopped that week. I told the eltards that I was having personal issues and needed someone to take over for a while until I finally stepped down months later.

Best thing I ever did. Sorry to say but have a mental break and tell the Tards you can't do it anymore.

Get out of Babylon bro!!

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Be careful if you want to stay in for any reason. I had a friend that actually made the WT study interesting while he was the conductor. It was almost an actual discussion. Most of the 'friends' really enjoyed it. A couple of the hard-core elders didn't like where he was going and had him removed.

Sorry. Have to self edit myself. He was removed for making the TMS enjoyable/what it could be. His conducting of the WT was also the best, but we had brothers rotate into that role at the time in our hall. Not a permanent position then (if I recall).

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Whenever the study article uses the term "faithful and discreet slave", "the slave", "the faithful slave", or similar, replace it with "the Governing Body" when you verbalize the discussion with the congregation.

All (non-awake) J-dubs are very comfortable following the direction/teaching of "the faithful and discreet slave", but I've noticed some get a little uneasy when you talk about following the direction of "the Governing Body". It's a subtle shift, but it suddenly sounds like we're being directed to follow the teachings of men without question. Most J-dubs won't even notice or care, but I guarantee a few in the audience will get a little uneasy if you start talking about "the Governing Body-this", and "the Governing Body-that" all the time...and it will be all the time, because the phrase "the faithful and discreet slave" is used in virtually every single WT study.

• kairos
    kairos

Update?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If you highlight extreme points there is always the danger (or in fact likelihood) people will simply take it at face value.

Maybe a more subversive thing you could do is simply act uninterested in the material, go through the motions, and finish early. That'd probably send the strongest and sincerest message, and strike a chord with how others are feeling, if you've got the balls to pull it off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit