The Natural Law fallacy and Homosexuality

by JanH 62 Replies latest jw friends

• dshields1
    dshields1

Hi Waiting,

Touche' on the "surrounding cities". That certainly adds credence to your "pecking order" theory. Do you know of any documentation of that? I'm not being smart, actually I'm quite curious if there is any record of such a practice among ancient cities.

QUOTE:

Genesis, "the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, from boy to old man, all the people in one mob."

Notice that the scripture says "the men" of the city. If men were all that inhabited the city (highly unlikely) then the differentiation would not have been needed. When it says "all the people" it is in the context of the men of the city i.e. all the people who had already gathered rather than all the people of the city.

As for the discrepancy between women and men, could you give me the scripture references for the law stating that they had to scream? I'd like to read those in context before I respond to your question.

Thanks,

Doug AKA Junior

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Thanks for the thoughtful research, Doug. However, let me take it a step further. Let's look at the apostle Paul first and his use of arsenokoites to supposedly condemn homosexuality. To begin with, one needs a basic understanding of early Common Era Greek. Those who lived in the first century C.E. expressed the idea of homosexuality exclusively as a verb, yet Paul utilizes a noun in his condemnations. Arsenokoites is actually a slang term which may or may not have been coined by Paul himself. There is no earlier written usage of this word. If you look at the two root words in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, you will see that the literal translation of the word is "lift couch" or "raised chair"; the true definition of this word has been lost in obscurity, but most scholars of early Greek believe it had something to do with temple prostitution, a common practice in the pagan temples in and around early Corinth. This would correlate well with the other supposed condemnation of homosexuality in Leviticus 20:13 where the writer, instead of using the Hebrew word 'iysh for "man" (Strong's #376) actually utilizes zakar - a person worthy of note (Strong's #2145). The writer further uses tow'ebah (Strong's #8441) in the same passage which translates as "abomination", but is more accurately translated as "idolatry". The "person worthy of note" which the Hebrew writer is warning against sleeping with is the high priest of the pagan god Molech (see Lev. 20: 1-5). Persons, both male and female, would provide sexual favors to the high priest in return for guarantees of fertility of crops and offspring. This practice was carried over into early Christian times and this is likely what Paul was warning against.
    This same scenario is also seen in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. Had the mob been entirely homosexual, Lot surely would have known better than to offer his daughters. So then why did he? He was offering them as virgins, pagan sacrifices.
    Doug, I've been studying the Bible in the ancient languages for two decades, and no one, absolutely no one, can convince me that homosexuality is condemned anywhere therein. The supposed condemnations of homosexuality are in fact warnings to followers of the One True God to abstain from engaging in any pagan fertility ritual, or in any way associating onesself with idolatrous practice. Had any of the writers wished to outright condemn homosexuality, they would have used much clearer wording. Finally, one needs to ask: If homosexuality is such a mortal sin, why is this a topic which Jesus Christ himself never addressed, not even once?

• iggy
    iggy

<i>As an endnote, I have to point out that gays have no "burden of justification" to argue
    that homosexuality is OK. Those who argue that homosexuality is unethical have the
    burden of proof; an obligation to provide rationally sound arguments to demonstrate it is
    ethically wrong.</i>

Nobody has to prove anything. You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. There is no burden of proof because the reasons for believing one thing or the other are not based on logic or solid evidence.
    Iggy

PS However sperm seems meant for a vagina and uterus and vagina and uterus meant for sperm and baby making. This ofcourse does not mean that there are not other uses to which these things can be put.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Nobody has to prove anything. You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. There is no burden of proof because the reasons for believing one thing or the other are not based on logic or solid evidence.
    Iggy

How old are you Iggy? Do you think that is an intelligent, reasonable way to go thru life? To make decisions? No, it isn't, is it? It is stupid isn't it? Yes it is stupid. So all the rest of us ask, is that if that is going to be your modus operandi, you make sure you never hurt anyone with your beliefs. Of course, that is imposible.

This ofcourse does not mean that there are not other uses to which these things can be put.
    Wow! A conclusion based on logic!!!!!!!!!! Hey, here is a cool idea; why not take that above truism, and use it to shape what you believe about sex? Wouldn't that make you feel like you were joining the reasonable, intelligent portion of humanity? Try it, you will like it.
  • RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

So many Christians seem to feel that the whole issue of homosexuality is pretty much cut and dried. God doesn't like it, so don't have sex with someone of the same gender and you're all set. "What's so difficult about that?", they say.

Jim's research into the actual meaning of the scriptures supposedly condemning homosexuality is excellent and makes perfect sense. However, I think that those of us who are heterosexual need to "walk a mile in a homosexual's shoes" before we can allow ourselves to accept the illogic of God condemning a homosexual relationship and the logic of Jim's research into the Biblical condemnation of pagan fertility rites for Christians.

I don't mean that we should all go out and literally experience life as a homosexual. I know that I wouldn't want to be in fear of my life for simply being. What I DO mean, however, is to try to extrapolate the homosexual experience into our own lives as heterosexuals.

Suppose that it was believed that anyone who had a relationship with someone of the opposite sex was told that this was forbidden and that they would be destroyed for doing so. Suppose that you were told to "just marry someone of the same gender". Those who are married know that a married relationship is NOT about sex, although sex is certainly a part of it. A marriage involves (hopefully) two people who are committed to each other--sexually and emotionally. You might have same-sex friends with whom you are very close, but it is NOT the same as a marriage partner.

Could you honestly envision yourself being forced to try to fulfill all your emotional, as well as sexual, needs with a same-sex partner? I know I couldn't. And yet, as heterosexuals, we blithely tell homosexuals to "just get married" and, voila!, all your problems will be solved. It doesn't work that way.

Once I realized for myself what an untenable situation I would be in if I were forced to abandon any hope of a relationship with a man, I realized that something was wrong with the current interpretation of scriptures that seemingly condemned homosexuality. It was at that point that I began to search for an interpretation that logically fit with my perception of "a loving God".

Yes, heterosexuals are in the majority, and, yes, we have the backing of the religious establishment in promoting bigotry against gays. (No matter how much you say that you hate the sin, but love the sinner, it is STILL bigotry.) However, IMO, we all need to think of how WE would feel if we were in that situation, and determine in our hearts if what we have been taught is actually true. We questioned the WTBTS and found freedom. Can't we question existing mores to determine if they are, in fact, true? Don't our gay brothers and sisters deserve the right to simply BE, and to enjoy the emotional companionship we all take for granted as heterosexuals?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

If I may skip over RedhorseWoman's delightful post for a moment (thank you so much, RedhorseWoman!), I would like to revert to Iggy's statement:

"Nobody has to prove anything. You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. There is no burden of proof because the reasons for believing one thing or the other are not based on logic or solid evidence.
    Iggy"

Iggy, what you state is dimetrically opposed to the words of the Apostle Paul at Hebrews 11:1, which states:
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."(NIV)
    Faith - any form of faith - requires the burden of proof.

• larc
    larc

Hi folks,

This has been discussed before, and I agree with RHW's post. Earlier in my life, I had no knowledge of a homosexual's thinking. In the last 15 years, I came to know and become friends with a gay man and a lesbian. After knowing them for a long time, and learning about their lives, I have to conclude that their life style is not a choice, but is driven by their genetic make up. As a result, I have concluded that God would not punish them for what he had made in the first place.

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

I just want to thank RedhorseWoman and larc for those empathetic, insightful posts.

As a child growing up in the Deep South, I and everyone else just "knew" Negroes were dirty, lazy, ignorant, and vicious, and did not want to be any other way. Plenty of folks could quote Scripture to prove blacks were under the "curse of Noah," forever relegated by God to servitude.

As for women, well of course the Bible said they were designed to be inferior to men in every way. No wonder they are such bad drivers!

When guys started skipping the every-two-week haircut, how wicked and disgusting! The Bible says long hair on a man is a shame to him.

And of course, the Bible most strongly forbids fornication, adultery, divorce . . . oops, let's not dwell on that.

But DAMN THEM HOMOS!!

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• waiting
    waiting

I don't wish to change the theme of this thread - but I am responding to Doug. If any others wish to comment - I'd be interested in reading.

As for the discrepancy between women and men, could you give me the scripture references for the law stating that they had to scream? I'd like to read those in context before I respond to your question. - Doug

This is the thread's address which shows the scriptures involved:
    ... http://64.4.8.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=78924de3ef510fcc183177ba4e150c66&lat=990913777&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ejehovahs%2dwitness%2ecom%2fforum%2fthread%2easp%3fid%3d5947
    If this doesn't print properly, this is my original post:
    Posted: Oct 8, 2000
    Rape Response Revisited

I have previously brought up the inferred insult to women done by the Bible, the WTBTS, and sometimes society in general - that rape is a woman's - not a man's - problem to deal with.

QUESTION: Is it anywhere brought out in the WTBTS's teachings everyone who is raped must scream? Is it anywhere brought out in print the required response for men being raped?

At what age is a young girl put upon - or now freed of - the responsibilty of screaming? The age to submit/fight the rapist? 8? 10? 15? 18?

At what age is a young boy going to be questioned about whether he liked oral/anal intercourse - just as girls are?

Again, when a man is raped by another man, or group of men (or women), where is a printed WTBTS required response put forth - as it is done for women? For that matter, where is the principle, or law, found in the Bible for a man to scream during rape to be found innocent of fornication?

I cannot recall any discussion anywhere on the Biblical response for men in time of rape. How odd and manlike. Would a just God only concede that girls/women are raped and must respond - even to the point of death for her virginity? Should not males protect their virginity with their deaths also? Particularily is this odd in the reality that a man, or teenage boy, is much closer in strength and size to a male rapist than the average woman or girl.

Thanks to Path,(bold added by me) the following are WTBTS responses quoting their interpretation of the Mosiac Law for Christians (however, we are always told by the WTBTS that we're not under the Mosiac Law.)

*** w64 1/15 63-4 Questions from Readers ***
    ó According to the Bible at Deuteronomy 22:23-27, an Israelite engaged girl threatened with rape was required to scream. What is the position of a Christian woman today if faced with a similar situation? Is she to scream even if an attacker threatens her life with a weapon?—M. U., United States.

According to God’s law an Israelite girl was under obligation to scream: “In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, you must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellow man.” If, however, the attack took place in a field and the woman screamed and thus tried to get away from the attacker, she was not to be stoned, since she was overpowered and there was no one to rescue her.—Deut. 22:23-27.

But suppose the man had a weapon and threatened to kill the girl if she failed to lie down with him? These scriptures do not weaken the argument or alter the situation by citing any circumstance that would justify her in not screaming. It plainly says she should scream; hence, oppose the attack regardless of the circumstances. If she was overpowered and perhaps knocked unconscious and violated before help came in answer to her screams, she could not be held accountable. The thought of the scriptures apparently is that the girl’s screaming, by attracting neighborhood attention, would frighten off her assailant and would save her, even though he threatened her life for not quietly complying with his wishes and passionate desires.

Such Scriptural precedents are applicable to Christians, who are under command, “Flee from fornication.” (1 Cor. 6:18) Thus if a Christian woman does not cry out and does not put forth every effort to flee, she would be viewed as consenting to the violation. The Christian woman who wants to keep clean and obey God’s commandments, then, if faced with this situation today, needs to be courageous and to act on the suggestion made by the Scriptures and scream. Actually this counsel is for her welfare; for, if she should submit to the man’s passionate wishes, she would not only be consenting to fornication or adultery, but be plagued by the shame.

There would be shame, not only from the repulsiveness of the experience, but of having been coerced into breaking God’s law by having sex connections with one other than a legal marriage mate. Not only that, but she might become an unwed mother, or she may contract a terrible disease from her morally debased attacker.

It is true that a woman faces the possibility her assailant will carry out his threat; but, then, what guarantee does she have that such a desperate criminal would not kill her after satisfying his passion? In fact, such a one, perhaps already hunted by the law, may be more likely to kill her after the attack, since she would then have had a greater opportunity to identify him and would therefore be in a better position to supply a description of him to the authorities. In such case, following the Scriptural counsel of screaming could well save one’s life by attracting attention and driving the attacker away at the outset, instead of causing him to feel that he must get rid of his victim for fear of being identified later.

In most instances it is doubtless a matter of calling the assailant’s bluff, since the girl’s screams could result in his arrest for attempted rape. Also, if he carried out his threat and committed murder, he would face the likelihood of apprehension and conviction for this even more serious offense. Of course, there is the possibility that instead of fleeing immediately, the attacker may strike his victim or inflict a superficial wound to silence the screams, yet would not the endurance of such physical punishment be insignificant compared to the disgrace and shame of submitting to an immoral man?

A Christian woman is entitled to fight for her virginity or marital fidelity to the death. Just how best she can defend herself against anyone who wants to defile her depends upon her courage and quick wits. At least, as has been mentioned, she should first try to frighten off the would-be rapist by screaming and making as loud and noisy a spectacle of the matter as she possibly can, in order to summon any convenient aid. This being unavailing, then she has a right to defend her virtue by whatever means she can.

*** w68 6/1 347-9 The Christian's View of Self-Defense ***

ATTEMPTED RAPE

If you are a Christian woman, what should you do if, in spite of all precautions, you are set upon by a rapist? If you cannot deter him by reasoning, or by calling upon the name of Jehovah, then what? As a Christian you are under obligation to resist. This resistance includes screaming and creating as much disturbance as possible to try to frighten off the attacker and attract help. If the attack continues and you cannot break free to flee, then you would be justified even to inflict damage on your assailant if necessary.

Resistance is imperative, because the rapist is after, not just money, but your virtue. An issue of integrity to Jehovah’s laws is involved here. So by no means would it be proper quietly to submit to rape, as that would be consenting to fornication.—1 Thess. 4:3.

…Would it be different if the man had a weapon and threatened to kill you if you did not submit? No, the Scriptures plainly state that Christians are under obligation to “flee from fornication.” (1 Cor. 6:18) It is true that you face the possibility of death in this case. But you have no guarantee that if you meekly submit, your assailant will not kill you anyhow to avoid identification.

Here's how one sister responded to her attacker.
    quote:

…She told him that marriage was honorable before God and that she was married, but that what he wanted to do was not honorable. Also, that if she did not scream she would ruin her relationship with Jehovah God and the Christian congregation; that then she would be disfellowshiped or excommunicated from it and that this would be worse than being killed as far as she was concerned.

Again, when a man is raped by another man, or group of men (or women)where is a printed WTBTS required response put forth - as it is done for women. For that matter, where is the principle, or law, found in the Bible for a man's theocractic response during rape - that a man must scream during rape to keep his clean standing before Jehovah and in the WTBTS congregation?

waiting

• dshields1
    dshields1

Hi Waiting,

Sorry it took so long to answer your post.

I can certainly appreciate your viewpoint and I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I don't believe, at least for the nation of Israel, that a homosexual gang rape was very likely. However in Leviticus 18:22 the law is handed down with regard to homosexual relations:

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."

Later in that same context the punishment for both offenders i.e. the "pusher" and the "pushee" was to be death. (Lev 20:13) Of course one could make the case:

"Hey, why didn't God allow for a MAN to scream and thus to escape the punishment of death since he was FORCED into bending over. I think God treats women better than He does MEN!"

Do you see now how that works both ways? I could get really insulted over that and rationalize hating God for not allowing some poor straight guy who while minding his own business got hit over the head and then was forcibly raped by a bunch of flaming Israeli homos to have an "escape" clause. Again, I don't believe that there was much likelihood for that to have happened ergo no law being in place. If it had I believe that the actual case would have been heard and then true justice would have been carried out (i.e. the pack of flaming Israeli homos would have been put to death by being roasted slowly on a spit and the poor straight guy would have been given a tube of Preparation-H and excused from his next day's work.[8>])

<<Sorry guys. I just couldn't resist that stab at Mosaic humor! >>

Okay now to take it into our time. We are NOT under the mosaic law any longer. We don't keep the festivals we don't keep the holy days and we don't sacrifice goats and bulls. All of this has been handled by Jesus Christ as He has fulfilled the law. Therefore, as I stated before, any attempt by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society to use the mosaic law to bolster their Victorian viewpoints with regard to sex or rape is totally wrong just as it was for the Judaizers of Paul's day to say that circumcision was required for Christians. It simply isn't true.

I understand now where you are coming from. You are ticked at the WT for their not enforcing the same treatment for a man in a similar situation. I agree with you wholeheartedly. If a woman has to scream then by all means a man should do no less. However, I don't believe that God would have deliberately given a woman any less justice than a man in that He didn't enforce the same law. I believe it was just something that was highly unlikely to happen in the nation of Israel.

I hope that answers your question.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit