If the Org. confessed they were not God's org. Would you still be there and was that the main reason you stayed

by tor1500 25 Replies latest jw friends

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

I know you know who I am by now...the one that forgets to use paragraphs...Anyway, all over all the JW sites (Not JW.org). It's been asked if you knew this or that why did you stay...It's been discussed how no matter what you hit the friends with, failed dated, new lights, pedophiles, etc, yet they stay and you can't reason with them....so what I've come up with is that most stay because they feel it's God's org. and they were chosen in place of the Jews. Now I don't think there aren't other reasons, but just talking to the friends...this is what I get....Well,, we have imperfect people but God uses them...but it is God's org. we can see by the preaching work....I really want to say really? IBM has been in business forever...and they are successful...who backs them ?

So I feel the badge of honor for the majority is that they think that's it God's mouthpiece...That's why The GB's/anointed are scrambling to hide stuff....they don't want the friends to think otherwise...it's their reputation...not God's rep...God don't need no reps...

Lately, there have been ads regarding child abuse...tv, papers, leaks & so on, & they still won't listen....to me, it can't be any other reason than they are carrying Jehovah's name like a new wife....

Your Thoughts...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They will never say that they are not the org of god. Some stay because they really don't want to commit social suicide. With some, it's a case of 'my religion, right or wrong.' Others will say, 'It's the nearest thing....'

There is no singular reason. Just as we humans are complicated fools, so the reasons to remain in an abusive cult are complicated.

The WBT$ has set up very clever mind control techniques to keep them in the pen to be used and abused.

The reasons are many-fold.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said punk! Well said indeed!

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

What? Seriously?

If your Job said - there was no more pay - would you still work there?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    tor1500 - "...That's why The GB's/anointed are scrambling to hide stuff... they don't want the friends to think otherwise..."

This.

Because - lets face it - being an active, participating Jehovah's Witness isn't a particularly pleasant lifestyle (no matter what the GB might say)...

...so if it's NOT "God's Chosen Earthly Organization"... what incentive is left to stay (other than sheer f**k-you contrarianism)?

The GB has long known that the moment a JW realizes this, it's over for him.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Had it not been for the shunning policy, I would have stayed. However, by now... even if they got rid of it, I wouldn't go back.

So objectively, I can say I would have stayed.. I just don't know how long though.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

If the Org. confessed they were not God's org. Would you still be there and was that the main reason you stayed

That's never going to happen so I think speculating about some If situation that is not plausible is futile.

My thoughts are that, again, people keep talking about showing JWs "the light" about what the WT teaches, and fail to address the real reasons why people remain JWs. It has nothing to do with what they teach; it about what the WT gives them that makes them feel comfortable.

Address their feelings instead of nonsensical what-ifs, and you will obtain better results in making your point.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TOR:

I don't think they would ever admit this. Most, if not all Witnesses, are there for family and social connections. In some cases, they work for Witnesses and are further trapped.

I'm out for different reasons: attitudes towards women and responsible working people. I couldn't stay there another minute.

• tor1500
    tor1500

HI,

Great replies...some I didn't think of. Scratchme 1010, you are so right...they are comfortable there.

LonghairGal, I've heard about these attitudes...but I tend to hang with the friends then back away from them....I'm glad you are out and hope you are happy. In this life we don't know how long we will be here..so for the long or short time we are here...be happy, that's the best medicine.

I still think some of the reasons folks stay is because it's God's org. so they think..like being married to a famous and rich person....they may not treat you right but the benefits...some folks much rather be miserable. Many may not admit that they thought that, because it does sound a bit shallow...so I put the question out there...just to see if people are real enough to admit...Yeah, I stayed because it's God's org...and they can be wrong as two left shoes but I'm staying...

Tor

• steve2
    steve2

Your question is specifically directed at exJWs - but I am sure the same collections of reasons for staying apply more widely to religious affiliations in general.

• Why do nominal believers stay in their respective churches and not leave?
    • Why do some women who profess feminism stay in their patriarchal religious groups?
    • Why do gays and lesbians remain in their religious groups that condemn homosexual practices?
    • why do people keep going back to their religious groups/churches after big upsets?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit