Critique of the lastest New World Translation?

by dontfitin 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dontfitin
    dontfitin

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker who is still in due to family. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Is there anywhere online that I can find a critique of the new bible revision? One of the things that really got me was when I researched about the New World Translation and found how there was no basis for adding Jehovah's name in the New Testament, and then other areas where they translated to accommodate their interpretation. To me, it doesn't matter if the interpretation is correct - you don't change God's word if you have any respect for it whatsoever.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome dontfitin - I'm a confirmed 'fader'.

I don't think the RNWT has been examined long enough or closely enough to give a comprehensive review, but there are various objections to the particular wording of verses which you will find here and elsewhere.

Hope you can escape the Org's clutches too.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Thats what started me waking years ago. Using the societies own publications and personal study I realized that spattering jehovah throughout the NT was completely unfounded. Then the more I dug... the rest is history.

You can look up their justification and research it well. Its pretty weak.

If memory serves me (and its been a while sense I cared) the best argument they have is quotes in the NT that are taken from the OT that would have had the "divine name". But that really doesn't answer was it really there in the first place. Think about the whole god damned NT... first of all, nothing about the supposed jesus was written until decades (nearly a century) after his death. Of those, no originals exist whatsoever... the more you dig you see the giant gaps in the book and the only thing that can fill them at the end of the day is huge amounts of blind/unfounded faith. When I realized that, things unraveled. I was lazy and never challenged much but just assumed the witnesses were the most scholarly well studied n the bible... NOT. They are just as guilty as any other religion of making it say what they want it to.

The Bible is like a prisoner... the more you torture it, its going to tell you what you want to hear.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    and welcome
  • dontfitin
    dontfitin

Thanks for the responses....(I don't seem to see an option how to respond to a specific post? Or quote a post?) I was hoping to find a one-stop-source - too easy, huh? ;) I will continue digging around here...

Hope you can escape the Org's clutches too.

Unlikely for now... I have an amazing marriage to a wonderful husband. He is half-awake and very moderate...but feels like all the troubles in the org are a test of his faith in Jehovah, and the correct response to show his faith in Jehovah is to "stick it out". Right now, I am able to share more with him than I would if I just bailed altogether.

I come to this site when I need to confirm that I am not crazy, and I am not the only one sitting at meeting thinking WTH while everyone else is nodding. So...thanks!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Its a very good question in you OP, sorry for my rant lol

Let me think about it. Its tricky because you want the source to reflect something that wont switch off a witnesses open mind. Which is just about anything BTW unless they are ready to listen and be open.

I would assume you have already looked here?

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah-new-testament.php

• mommyfirstandalways
    mommyfirstandalways
    I posted a similar question and got a few answers. If u click on my user name it will take u to my page and click on posts started and u will find it.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The J W website library has the Revised Study NWT and in Appendix A5 it discusses The Divine Name In The Greek Scriptures in an up to date statement.

It still focuses on the occasions when NT writers quoted from the O T . I am no scholar but if The Name was , as they say, in common use in the first century then I think that might be reasonable. There are many places though when it is used that are not OT quotes and they simply change it from"Lord" to "Jehovah" as they see fit. This can change the perceived meaning of the verse .

I recall Mr BeDuhn commenting in his excellent work "Truth In Translation" that it was the translator's job to translate and an interpreter's job to interpret.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I agree with BluesBrother. They use it so much that outside of the very few quotes, you cannot really believe that every time they said YHWH when Lord was used. That was the first real JW lie that sunk in for me.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

It's interesting how in the kingdom interlinear they use lots of 'J' references...as if that was a legitimate reason for inserting Jehovah. Then I researched online what the J references were....many of them were Jewish translators, strangely...translating the New Testament, wanting to minimize the importance of Jesus.... Sound familiar?

Dontfitin you sound JUST like me when I started waking up. Now husband and children are all awake and I am happy in a nice liberal Protestant church. Not an easy road, but once you reach your destination, whatever it may be, it will be worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit