Dad flew home this morning

by Simon 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

My dad has been over from Canada for the past month and staying at our house. It's been so good seeing him even though he's not in the best of health (he's not supposed to fly )

The kids have loved him being here and I was really choked after we said goodbye lastnight and our youngest, Dylan, started crying saying he didn't want grandad to go home and insisting on sitting on my shoulders waving till the car was well out of sight.

They are both asking when they can go visit again.

I hate goodbyes and being separated from family by such a long distance. Hopefully, we can visit them soon and may brave the winter to see what it's like !

Anyone else have close family far away or abroad? How often do you see them?

• Shakita
    Shakita

That is so nice that your Dad was able to visit you and your family. I feel it is so important that grandchildren connect with their grandparents early on and forge a friendship with them.

When Ashitaka was little, his grandfather was very close to him. It was so great for both of them, it is something that money can't buy.....love between grandparents and grandchildren.

Never been to Canada in the winter....but, if it is anything like last winter in New Jersey....bring your shovel and mittens 'cause you will need them.

Mrs. Shakita

• outnfree
    outnfree

My mother lives 10 hours and our in-laws live 12 hours by automobile from us. We generally see them 2 or 3 times per year.

It's difficult. Especially when they're ill. My father-in-law is now in a nursing home, so we must always go there for holidays now, as he can go out in the care of the family for the day and we want to include him in. In the past, my in-laws would sometimes fly to our home for a holiday so that we didn't have to schlepp the kids so far. Also, they'd come spend time with us in the summer when the children were off from school.

My mother was seriously ill and nearly died a few years back and while I was with her for a week or so, the responsibilities of four children at home made it impossible for me to stay longer. I phoned her every day and spoke to the nursing staff also, but it was a fretful time for me as I wanted to be in two places at once. Fortunately my brother lives near her, but I still felt bad that the burden of care was all on him.

Luckily, my two sisters-in-law live also near to their parents, so when we do go East to visit, we get to see almost the entire clan.

My mother is old but online , so we keep in touch that way on almost a daily basis (cheaper than phone).

We haven't lived closer than 2-1/2 hours to our families since we've been married, though, so we're used to driving. And my kids laugh at friends who think that the 5 hour drive to "UpNorth" Michigan is a long trip. They've been doing the 12-1/2 hours from infancy.

outnfree

• shamus
    shamus

I used to hate goodbyes...

I only saw my dad once a year during summer. It was the crappiest thing that a kid can go through....

Why don't you move to Calgary, Simon? It's beautiful here!

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Why don't you move to Calgary, Simon?

Thats the plan ! We have been wanting to move out to Calgary for a couple of years and we are slowly getting closer to being able to go.

• shamus
    shamus

Well, Anghard and Simon, get you BUTTS OVER HERE!

Mountains, traffic, rednecks... it ain't that bad.... I'm married to my sister and cousin all at once in these here parts.....

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I have family that lives in Mexico. We try our best to see each other twice a year. We go during the summer and they will come in winter. For some reason they love the snow and cold weather about as much as my family loves the ocean.

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Simon - It's rough trying to keep extended families together and once you've established this as a 'must have' in your lives then your more or less stuck. GO TO CANADA! The kids will enjoy a vacation.

We're 2,000+ miles from my in-laws (they're in S. TX) and 2 1/2 hours from my family. Prior to this I've been 3,000+ miles from my family for 6 years and it was always so strange to use up all my leave for visits 'home'. Now wer're looking for other jobs which can move us anywhere from Korea to Hawaii. After that move we might start looking into a final, non-mobile position and living arrangement either way it'll be near family.

Websites, snail mail, videos always help build the bridge between the months and if you children are old enough, make it a family project. I wish everyone could have their grandparents live down the street and their Aunts/Uncles right around the corner. Sure you couldn't get away with anything, but you knew where to go when thing got bad.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My parents live 5 miles and light years from me.

• Scully
    Scully

shamus

not everyone from Calgary does that!!

Simon & Angharad:

If you visit Canada in wintertime, you may change your minds about moving here! Although you'll likely be safe in Calgary with the chinooks and all the nice weather they bring...

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit