Subliminal Images in Watchtower Literature

by BornAgainGirl! 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JCanon
    JCanon
    So now the biggest trouble with subliminal images is getting past Brother Bill Gehrig, Brother Robinson, or Sister Judy Martin looking at the last negative under a magnifying glass to ink out dozens of tiny, extra spots before the art made it to the printing plate.

You know, I agree! But when you consider this "subliminal" stuff started with Russell and got refined over the years, they wouldn't hire anyone in the art department who wasn't already a subliminalist and who understood this. Perhaps they were all supportive of the secret meanings; after all, it might only mean something to someone who really knew and around Bethel they think they are fighting against demons and persecutors all the time so no telling what alterior well-intentioned purpose they found in providing the subliminal art. So I think everybody generally concerned was involved if they even got to be part of the art department. Maybe you couldn't get into the art department unless you were part of this special service.

As far as the difficulty in making it all work out just right, they seem to be doing fairly well at it.

As a final comment, if I were to look at the art, in fact, the images tend to dictate other aspects of the overall picture. But it is "clever"! As if several were given the same assignment to put a dog in the side of the Messiah while impaled and the best concept got taken. Someone came up with making the dog's head, his nose Jesus' nipple the ears the armpits, etc. It wasn't an afterthought.

Canon

• observador
    observador

Gamaliel,

thanks for the insight. I am very skeptical of this subliminal img conspiracy theory as well.

I think that things get a little confused sometimes: hidden images versus subliminal. Russell having used masonic symbols, which are not hidden, but are in plain sight for everyone to see, is different from these alleged hidden images. And quite often the former is put as proof of the latter.

Observador.

• mizpah
    mizpah

What I really don't understand by those who hold to the theory of subliminal images in the literature is what do they think would be accomplished by it? Do you seriously consider that it would have been done with the approval of the leaders in the Watchtower Society? To what end? Would Jehovah's Witnesses who looked at them turn to demonism? Would the Society who has published numerous articles against the practice dare risk the exposure if it was true?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Gamaliel:

If you are a JW, by all means be offended and leave the JWs over any reason you can find, but please make it something a little more substantial than subliminal images!

That all sounds very reasonable, and I know that Tom Cabeen (who is a friend of mine, as well) is rather skeptical about the images, too. One of these days, I'm going to have to corner Tom for a more detailed discussion of the issue. I would note in passing, though, that the images started to appear during the early 1980's, after you, Randy and Tom were no longer in Bethel.

The problem I have with all this rationality is that some of the images are quite clear (e.g., the picture of Zeus in the woman's coat), and can't be explained by the eye making images out of normal lines in the drawing. The face is clearly there, it doesn't even fit into the drawing where it is, but seems unquestionably to be an insertion. How did it get there? Somehow, it had to have made it through all of the processes and security checks you describe, and gotten into the magazine as published. So how did it happen? It really is a mystery - perhaps the only way for it to get through all of the security checks would have been for the governing body to demand that it be that way, but then, you'd think that one of the "apostates" out there who used to be in Bethel would be talking about it.

It's confusing, and I can't really think of a reasonable explanation, but some of the insertions are just too detailed and obvious not to have been intentional.

• Valis
    Valis

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• seven006
    seven006

JCanon,

You're coming off as an authority on this subject is as amusing as you have come of in others. I have been a professional illustrator for over 25 years. I owned an art materials manufacturing company in the 80's as well as worked as the national marketing manager for two of the largest art material companies in Europe and Japan for 14 years. Iv sat on many boards ranging from the National Art Material Trade association to the national society of illustrators. My work has been published in some of the most prestigious art related magazines and books printed on illustration. In short, I know what the hell I'm talking about.

In 1984 the Watchtower society flew me back to Bethel to do some training and some consulting in their illustration, graphics, and photography departments. I reported directly to Dean Songer the head nut in charge. After spending a lot of time with the so called artist I gave my report to Dean covering what I thought about all three departments and the level of professionalism in them. My visit was cut short after reporting the truth they didn't want to hear. A few months after that I left the religion for good.

As far as the subliminal images in the watchtower publications, it's all wishful thinking on the part of some exJW's with over zealous imaginations. Iv seen the book about it as well as several of the original illustrations. What you have here is a simple case of "bad art" and "creative imaginations." Most of the people working in the illustration department are far from professional. The little images some think they see in folds and body parts are nothing more than the lack of expertise by the artist and poor use of light, shadow and texture. Out of all the artist I worked with there were only two that I considered half way proficient at what they did. As with most people working at Bethel, the illustrators are not professionally trained. That was the hope of the boys in Brooklyn that I could help some of these hobby artist become professional. I turned down their offer to move back there and try to make a difference. After the report I gave, I'm sure they were happy I did.

Through out the history of art people have claimed they have seen secret little images in some obscure piece of art. In some cases little hidden elements are done on purpose. Iv done a few myself when I knew I could get away with it and the image was not that critical. I wouldn't think of slipping in something on an illustration I do for Nike, Adidas, Disney or any of my bigger clients. It would mean death in the illustration world. There are a few famous cases from Disney that are used as examples in college illustration courses as well as a few workshops I taught in, in some of the 100 universities I lectured at. I have also seen these originals in some of my many visits to Disney studios. What someone thinks they see as opposed to what the illustrator intended is usually far from the same.

The Watchtower society (as far as I have been told and from what I have seen) has not used professional illustrators in the past or present. They would rather save a buck and have one of their slave hacks do it than a good job they had to pay someone for. They do buy stock photo images for their publications when it is warranted. Everything else is either shot in the watchtower photo studio or illustrated by their unprofessional illustrators. The elders who run those departments are also not professional and if their life depended on it, couldn't see a wrinkle in a robe that someone might think has a monster head in it. You have unprofessionals guiding unprofessionals. That is why you have people thinking they are drawing and painting imaginary things in the watchtower art. If you think you see a dog's head in the side of Jesus so you can rant and rave about homosexuality, knock your self out. It's stupid and completely unfounded, but that's just a professional opinion.

If you think about it, it's pretty stupid for a religious organization to try and purposely slip negative images in their art. I know if any person in the art department did something like that on purpose they would loose their brass key to the magic kingdom and be sent back to reality land. Besides, from what I saw, those people are afraid of their own shadow and wouldn't think of, or be clever enough, to slip in something they weren't supposed to. One guy (who was one of the two decent artist in the group) use to paint himself into some of the large scenes, but since they use other Bethel slaves as models for their art, nobody had a problem with it.

Nice try, but you don't have a clue what you are talking about on this one.

Have a nice day.

Dave

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

seven006,

Thanks for a very well written piece on this subject. I've seen many of your posts and didn't realize your background. We probably know/knew several of of the same people. Many would take a bit of offense that you lumped all but two of the 1984 group as unprofessionals, however. Of course, I know you were right, but I was able to work professionally on several college textbooks immediately after Bethel, and had sold a couple paintings and painted signs professionally when I quit school (at 16).

Of course there are extremely unlikely, but still possible explanations for ghost images and unwanted overlayed pictures that can happen accidentally in the darkroom or with a freshly reused but partially damaged offset plate, but the probability is miniscule and too many other people would still have to see it before it makes it out to the trucks. If an image was truly meant to be subliminal all of Bethel would know about it, and what kind of subliminal effect would it have if everyone was looking at it?

I know these images are sacred cows for a lot of people, in fact one of the subliminals actually looks like a sacred cow, literally. Thanks for adding your voice to the fray,

Gamaliel

• rem
    rem
    The problem I have with all this rationality is that some of the images are quite clear (e.g., the picture of Zeus in the woman's coat), and can't be explained by the eye making images out of normal lines in the drawing.

Sure it can. Human beings are exceptionally skilled at finding faces - our brains are hard-wired for it. So it's no wonder that out of hundreds of pictures the Society has produced a few will have artifacts that look like deliberate drawings of faces even though they aren't. You can probably find just as many people who are not convinced that they were deliberate as those who think they were - I know I'm not convinced. I think the face in Valis' photograph is more convincing.

rem

• seven006
    seven006

Gamaliel,

Your right, I shouldn't have been so harsh and lumped everyone in the art department as hacks. There was definitely some undeveloped talent there. The two I remember the most is the older guy who did the pastels on a sheet. I told him he needed to change to pH neutral linen because the sheets he was illustrating on would eventually fall apart because of the acid content. That guy had some real talent. The other guy (I think his name was Joe) did oils. His work was top notch. He's the one who kept painting himself in a lot of his paintings. I told him he could make some money in the real world. The rest of the people had some potential if they got a little education. Back then the society still wasn't much on education.

I'm never that harsh when talking about most artist. In my own way, I was defending them as far as the subliminal issue. I remember talking to some of the artist who did the illustration work for Mormon publications. They were all professionally trained and use to laugh at the Watchtower art. More for the goofy Leave it to Beaver 50's sitcom composition than anything else.

I have a huge dislike for the Watchtower bullshit so I was a lot harsher than usual when it comes to talking about an artist work. One older lady in the art department really pissed me off. She thought she was better than anyone else because she was married to some big shot at Bethel and she was probably the worst artist in the whole department. I couldn't tell her anything because she felt she didn't have to listen to anyone. I don't remember her name But in a conversation with Barbara Anderson she knew who I was talking about.

If it was not for the fact the artist were a part of the Watchtower I wouldn't have said what I said in the manner I did.

You're right, I don't think an intentional image that would be considered subliminal could get out the door. I have told those who swear by the so called subliminal image theory to try and focus on the real issues of the corrupt religion and leave the made up nonsense to the religion. There is enough real bullshit in it to work on in a way to expose the cult. Making stuff up about what they "think" they see only makes those who work hard exposing them in a legitimate manner look stupid.

Id like to see some of your work sometime. If you have jpg's, send them to me. I just took my main web site down a month ago so I can work on a new Shockwave one. I have a few pieces that are a little out dated on one of my rep's site. They are done in a 3D program I'm still battling with. Most of my well known work was done in Airbrush. Unfortunately, that look is dyeing a slow death and everything nowadays has to be digital. You might be able to pick up one of my old videos on airbrushing at a local art store. I did them for Iwata airbrush about 16 years ago.

Here is the link to my rep's site if you would like to see a little of the 3D stuff.
    http://schunagroup.com/

Sorry if I offended you in any way, except for the relation to the Watchtower, I never do that to artist....well ...almost never.

Take care,

Dave

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The problem I have with all this rationality is that some of the images are quite clear (e.g., the picture of Zeus in the woman's coat), and can't be explained by the eye making images out of normal lines in the drawing.

That image looks very much like a printing anomaly to me, it doesn't look contrived at all.

Valis picture explains this all quite well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit