Subliminal Images in Watchtower Literature

by BornAgainGirl! 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL @ seven006

See, this is one of the major disadvantages of the Internet. You live just up the street, and since I desperately need to get you out of my life, I'd gladly move to Bombay.

But, like a bad case of psoriasis, I'll never be rid of you.

Craig

• Uzzah
  • Valis
    Valis

onanism...like a good friend of mine just said..But, like a bad case of psoriasis, I'll never be rid of you.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• onacruse
    onacruse

Dahum...I just looked at that psor patch on my right forearm, and I saw a subliminal image of Dave and Valis doing bad things together! LOLOL

Craig

• Valis
    Valis

Yeah onanism...keep up w/the subliminal images about me, seven, and your forearm..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• onacruse
    onacruse

roflmao @ Valis

One of these days, my friend, you just wait, one of these days

Craig

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Gamaliel and Seven006 ---

Wow! You both make excellent points, and I would tend to agree that most of the "subliminal pictures" must just be patterns the brain "recognizes" as representational images.

But I'd love to know what you both think about the illustration in the Nov. 1, 1989 WT, p. 10. That's the one that gives me pause.

The article is about moral cleanness, and the illustration shows a movie marquis in the background. It's a duplex, and the names of both movies are shown, one under the other.

In theater 1, there is "JEST TUPS", rated R.

In theater 2, there is "THRU DAILY" also rated R.

What kind of movie titles are those? "Jest Tups" and "Thru Daily"? Something doesn't seem right. It sounds more like a performing artist who will be appearing daily until a certain date, but then the "R" rating wouldn't belong there, especially on both lines. And what kind of performer has the name "Jest Tups"? And what does "thru daily" mean? I can see a performer appearing "thru Tuesday" or "thru March 31", but what does "thru daily" mean?

Reverse the letters in TUPS. Now what do we have?

JEST SPUT THRU DAILY.

Adjust the spacing.

JESTS PUT THRU DAILY

So what do you think? Is it a coincidence or is this one deliberate? If so, how did it get past the long list of writers and editors you mentioned?

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Marjorie

• onacruse
    onacruse

Marjorie, thanks for bringing this thread back to topic.

Craig

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Craig,

So what do YOU think? Is this one different? Call me gullible, but somehow I find it hard to believe that the word play is an accident.

OTOH, I was very impressed with Gamaliel's and Seven006's excellent posts describing how the artwork is scrutinized. And I can relate to that, too, because many years ago when Jim was an editor at BAR he would sometimes have to drive to the printer in the middle of the night for a press run check (? or something like that) where they would all be looking at the artwork in particular to make sure the registration (lining up of the 4 colors) was correct.

But in a case like that would you really stop to think about what the movie titles were in the faint background of the illustration? I dunno.

Gamaliel and Seven006 are the experts, so I'll wait to see what they say.

Marjorie

• onacruse
    onacruse

Marjorie, I just ran those titles through an anagram engine http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/index.html and considering the types of shows they have on 42nd Avenue (which, of course, no Bethy ever saw ), I thought this was more likely: LUSH TEAT JUDY STRIP. hehe

Not too long ago there was a thread about the graphic images of death and destruction in WTS publications. No need to be subliminal, when people like me were willing to look with approval at such overtly gross and wanton pictures.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit