Anybody Here That Still Wouldn’t Take or Give Blood?

by minimus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I would think that the first thing to go for ex JWs is the blood ban.

Would you take a transfusion or give blood now!

• titch
    titch

Mr. Minimus: You bring up an interesting subject. As far as donating blood, I know that with myself, I would be rejected as a donor. The reason why? Well, about 10 years ago, I worked for two weeks as a temporary clerk at local hospital here in SoCal, and my main duty was to work in the "volunteers department." I had to make telephone calls to persons who had in the past, been blood donors, and find out if they wanted to continue as a blood donor, at that hospital. One thing I learned from that was some people COULD NOT donate blood any more, because they were taking medication for some kind of personal medical condition, or, "malady". The hospital did not want people who were on any kind of medication, as a blood donor. Which is my situation too. All of those medications that you take, are in YOUR own blood stream, and if you donate blood, they will eventually get into someone else's bloodstream too; and you don't know what kind of reaction they will have as a result of "receiving" those meds into their blood system. Personally, I take medication to control hypertension, a heart medication, a medication to control cholesterol levels. So, I wouldn't be qualified to donate blood, because of the medications that I take.

Now, as far as receiving blood---If I was facing a procedure, I would want to store MY OWN BLOOD prior to the operation, and have my own blood put back into me, if it was needed. I feel VERY squeemish about having blood from another human being floating around inside of me. I just do. Oh, well, that's just me. Best Regards, everyone.

Titch.

• Biahi
    Biahi
    I’ve donated blood in the past, and would have no hesitation to take blood if I ever needed it, as a big middle finger to WT.
  • Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Non blood medical management is the safest (and cheapest) - it was one of those things they were actually right about.

But in those distressing situations where medical knowledge is lacking and the condition of the patient is life threatening, the important thing is to save the person's life. God is kind, loving, understanding and merciful and He has pity. He does not want anyone to die.

(Matthew 12:1-8) . . .At that season Jesus went through the grainfields on the sabbath. His disciples got hungry and started to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 At seeing this the Pharisees said to him: “Look! Your disciples are doing what it is not lawful to do on the sabbath.” 3 He said to them: “Have you not read what David did when he and the men with him got hungry? 4 How he entered into the house of God and they ate the loaves of presentation, something that it was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those with him, but for the priests only? 5 Or, have you not read in the Law that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple treat the sabbath as not sacred and continue guiltless? 6 But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. 7 However, if YOU had understood what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless ones. 8 For Lord of the sabbath is what the Son of man is.”

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i had to have an aortic aneruysm repaired and a stent installed in 2016. i was out cold for quite a while. i have no idea if blood was used. i didnt ask and i dont want to know.

i've been fine ever since.

as regards donating..i havent. i have had a lot of blood tests done--and i really dont like the experience.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I have no problem taking blood.

Usually by 10pm the hunger pangs start.

I'm back in bed before sunrise.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Is that before or after the bottle of Glenfidich?

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

I wouldn't have any problem with it, although I would prefer to go bloodless or store my own preferably if I could choose. However, for me, somewhat ironically, it was one of the last things to go when I woke up. I don't think it was something I was particularly interested in and once I really considered it, it was so obvious that its not wrong to use blood, it was embarrassing.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I've actually just volunteered to donate my blood to very sick COViD patients* as I'm positive currently and going through it (not too bad so far, my husband's been pretty ill though).

Funny thing another thing they asked for is volunteers to help dogs detect COViD....they have to sniff me undies!! You wear some vest for 24 hours or something then post it back to them😄

*convalescent plasma

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I would say it would be a last resort. I mean if it's life threatening. But if it is relatively safe I would prefer alternatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit