This week's WT study article "Keep on the Watch" - the latest dumb article from the Gang That Couldn't Think Straight

by sir82 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82

OK so this week's WT study article is entitled "Why Must We Keep on the Watch?".

It is filled with statements on the importance of "being watchful" for the beginning of the "great tribulation". For example:

Paragraph 2: “Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is.”After that, Jesus admonished them repeatedly: “Keep on the watch.”

Paragraph 3: We know that we are living deep in “the time of the end” and that there cannot be much time left before the “great tribulation” begins!

Paragraph 4: It is imperative that we stay watchful until the tribulation occurs.

Paragraph 6: However, if we want to survive the destruction of this system,we must keep on the watch.

...and so on. virtually every paragraph contains some variation of the idea "keep on the watch", "end coming very soon",

The kicker comes in the last paragraph, but the thought is woven throughout the entire article:

Paragraph 17: Since Jesus said that the end will come “at an hour that [we] do not think to be it,” this is no time to doze off spiritually, no time to pursue the illusions and fantasies that Satan and his world offer and that our flesh craves. (Matt. 24:44) Through the pages of the Bible, God and Christ tell us what they have in store for us in the immediate future and how we can keep on the watch.

OK, let me see if I've got this straight.

We need to keep on the watch, we know the end is coming soon, keep watching, keep watching, expect it VERY SOON NOW, Watch Watch Watch, It's coming soon, it's really really really coming soon, soon now, soon I tell you....

So, this article is telling 8 million+ JWs to expect the GT very soon now.

But...but,..but....didn't Jesus say, repeatedly in the Gospels, in verses quoted liberally throughout the article, speaking directly to his disciples:

Jesus said that the end will come “at an hour that [we] do not think to be it,”

So....if 8 million+ JWs are ALL EXPECTING IT TO COME RIGHT NOW.....

Doesn't that pretty much guarantee that it WON'T COME?

If everyone is expecting it...and it is is supposed to come when no one is expecting it.....

Well, it's not going to come then, is it?

Idiots.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah I had a local JW explain this to me.

She said, "this week's WT study shows the end is really near".

I said, "oh, how does it show that?"

She said, "it makes the point that Armageddon will come when no one expects it, so it must be really near now."

Doh!

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Hasn't it "been coming" for the last 120 years though?

But given that we are so far away from 1914 it MUST be closer than ever...and yet JC said it will come when no-one expects it...

Maybe the GB are setting it up to explain why in the next ten years it hasn't come?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Reminds me of the genius WT a few years ago that explained how a "short period of time" is really "an extended period of time".

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember the following statements from when i was a kid:

"You'll never start high school in this system". - Started high school in 1996.

"You'll never graduate high school in this system" - graduated in 2011.

"You'll never reach 25 in this system" - im now 31.

Needless to say, the JW's my age who left when the getting was good have since went back to college and managed to fashion a career in this "the last days of a rotten and dying system". Good thing we didnt leave later in our lives or we'd be screwed.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    Reminds me of the genius WT a few years ago that explained how a "short period of time" is really "an extended period of time".

Lol I missed that one!

• freddo
    freddo

Luke 21 v 8 anywhere in that article? No? Thought not.

• sir82
    sir82

"You'll never start high school in this system". - Started high school in 1996.

"You'll never graduate high school in this system" - graduated in 2011.

Well that might explain a lot....

• baker
    baker

Well, every day that passes, we all are closer to whatever is coming, including death...

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    The RNWT says,

(Acts 1:7) "He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own* jurisdiction".

*And by extension, the jurisdiction of the G.B. of J.W.'s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit