We are now around 25 years past the point when Armageddon was to arrive as PROMISED!

by nowwhat? 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

absolute Worst case scenario, the last of the generation that saw the events of 1914 would have died off would be in the mid to late 1990's! So we were told in the 1980's! So now we 3/4 of another generation past that!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Didnt you listen to conehead? A generation is 120 years or more.

I liked the Joseph reference that his brothers were far older, then same guy in another talk says they were early 20s and teens, shooting down their own shaky argument

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As a born in Jehovah's Witness that was raised in the 1980s and early 1990s I was told Armageddon would come before -

• I was an adult
    • I went to high school
    • Before the end of the 20th Century (Printed inside each copy of the Awake! magazine)

I became an adult nearly 30 years ago.

I graduated high school nearly 30 years ago.

1999 is the last year of the 20th Century. January 1, 2000 was the first year of the 21st Century. We have been living in the 21st Century for over 20 years.

Now all my children have or will graduate high school in the next 3 years. All my children will be adults before then. That will place as 1/4 the way through the 21st Century.

Here's the nail in the coffin for me -

My whole life I have been told by Jehovah's Witnesses that we are living in the "Last Days". The Watchtower claims we live in the "Last Days" and has for over 100 years (we are closer to 200 years than 100 years). In 2020 Stephen Lett tells us that we are in the "final part of the last days, undoubtedly the final part of the final part of the last days! Shortly before the last day of the last days." Now Anthony Morris III tells us that Lett's statement is false and it is not as close as thought.

It doesn't take faith to keep being a Witness. It takes belief. Belief is the ability to ignore facts and evidence that disprove an idea one holds dearly.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember a talk at the KH by an elder back in 1994, he said not to give up and remain faithful. We are never to burn out because the end is very very near!

• hoser
    hoser

I think I have some unresolved trauma due to the generation teaching. Never being good enough for those clowns and the fear of a violent death messes with the mind. Thankfully I’ve woken up from that nightmare.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I was told the same things, I would never enter kindergarten, first grade, etc. I’m now a grandmother of 2.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

What if they were to tell you it'd be next year?

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

As if "over-lapping generations" didn't tell them!

• St George of England
    St George of England

My parents were married during the war and became JW's shortly after. Little George would never have to go to school in this old system. Well George did go to school, still has his Coronation Bible and mug but at least he would never leave school, have to get a job or marry in this system.

Well guess what, he left school, got married and saw 1975 come and go along with "this millennium" during which the end was supposed to come according to the 1989 (?) WT.

I suppose the only good thing to this is over 50 years of happy married life and waking up each morning knowing he ignored the "don't go to university" advice such as the 1969 Awake said and so doesn't depend on Satan's Old System DSS to get through each month.

The real big awakening though was realising that I will die in the not too distant future. Non JW's have always understood this and accept it.

George

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

Crybabies! You were stupid enough to believe them!

I wasn't, and am still one, begrudgingly, since the GB have gone loony!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit