Will directing people to jw.org actually prove counter productive?

by eyeslice2 16 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so how does all this work in coutries with little or no internet---and the populace couldnt afford a tablet or phone anyway ?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The people with no internet will be in the same boat as those who used to not have a quarter for a magazine. Could have been saved except we cant give a mag away. Did anyone really think it cost 25 cents to print one mag?

I heard one person tell someone to look JW com. That brings you here

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Gone are the days apparently where the JW would answer a question

JWs cannot answer questions about their beliefs because THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY BELIEVE.

The religion is just a social club. They might as well just be members of Kiwanis or JayCees or the YMCA.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    eyeslice2 - "Will directing people to JW-dot-org actually prove counter-productive?"

No.

But it will introduce newbies to the moniker "JW-dot-borg".

:smirk:

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2
    so how does all this work in coutries with little or no internet---and the populace couldnt afford a tablet or phone anyway ?

I think you would be surprised just how ubiquitous mobile technology is nowadays. Most developing countries are simply skipping the phase of telephone lines into private houses and going straight for mobile solutions. India has something like 800,000 mobile contracts. So, even the poor have mobiles, albeit at present not 'smart' phones. The same is true of the rest of Asia and Africa is going that way too.

All of this is why the society pushes jw.org. Print is going out of fashion and so they want to be on the bandwagon.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Information control, as we know can be by directly limiting access to opposing information or it can be self limiting. Convincing members that enemies are trying to corrupt their minds and so they can't trust information from unapproved sources. It is at least as effective.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, in 12 years or so since I left, I have seen Jehovah's Witnesses go from growth through recruitment to basically abandoning any hope of growth at all. The carts that they put to the side of walkways and have JW's silently stand near are just for die-hard JW's to think they are still recruiting. Telling people to go to the internet is the same. People will virtually never even go to check out jwdotorg.

Watchtower is willing to ride on it's current millions of members and hope for some retention through children. They have sold off millions upon millions of dollars worth of Brooklyn property at numbers way lower than they would have gotten 12 years ago at the height of real estate values.

So the good news for me- I fully underestimated how fast such changes would occur. I guessed that Watchtower would eventually go away, but the reduction and the sale of Kingdom Halls is going way faster than I would ever have guessed. The lawsuits are incredible and making more headway in the United States than I could imagine.

I still make the offer- I will help them pack their bags if the Governing Body are ready to make a run to some country in the tropics with no extradition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit