Did any of us ever enjoy meetings?

by stephanie61092 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I remember one time when the public speaker didn't show up and the overseer had the bright idea of having a two hour Watchtower study. I mean it was boring and drawn out over an hour, can you imagine anything more boring than a two hour Watch Crap Study? Now that is two hours of my life I won't get back.
  • ssn587
    ssn587
    The only enjoyable times I had at meetings is when I had a book to read, read a lot of Bart Ehrmans books at the meetings.
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Great thread.

Anyone else get super nervous when the WT conductor would be way behind on time? Like on para 8 and there were like 20 minutes left to go in the meeting? You know its going to go overtime at that point! Then of course he would still ask those stupid ass review questions at the end. Then the stupid speaker would get up there and give a 5 minute prayer. GAAAAAAH!

I swear, the only thing worse than a meeting is being stuck at a meeting five or ten minutes LONGER than it should have been.

• Gefangene
    Gefangene
    Since childhood I dreaded the meetings. Meeting night used to overshadow the full day like a dark black cloud on the horizon. It stressed me out that on that day I wouldn't be able to just go home and relax after a long day. Conventions were even worse
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

How about film presentation, anyone see any for the Sunday meeting? I gave one in the 70's but

was told it's not appropriate for the Sunday meeting even though other congregation ask for it.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Well, as a born in JW I can say that I did enjoy them as a kid and a teen. Mostly because I got to answer and look smart (even answered in my own words) and because all my friends were there. Also, the only girls I knew where there as well since i was home schooled. So really my whole life revolved around people I knew from the hall. Most of the talks though I found boring and didn't really enjoy studying for the WT. Every once in awhile there would be an entertaining or well given talk
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Lost G I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!

Gefangene, I know what you are talking about too! I remember in elementary school when it was 'calendar time' I used to get depressed whenever i realized that day was a meeting day. :(

It was like, after a night with no meeting I would start to feel good and then the next day would feel good, until the realization it was a meeting day and then a dark cloud would fall on the whole day. And Friday was good...but guess what the weekend starts out with? The dreaded Saturday morning. And then Sunday is taken up too (with dreadfully long talk by droning speaker followed by dreadfully long watchtower study). I swear, I never felt the whole TGIF thing until I wasn't a witness anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit