Welcome y'all from JWR - any questions?

by Simon 29 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

I just wanted to take a minute to say "hi" and welcome to the site for anyone who's come here from JWR. I can imagine the site being shut down suddenly was shocking and unsettling for many who relied on it and sometimes you don't realize how much you do rely on something until it is gone.

Hopefully you'll see some of the same familiar names appearing and be able to reconnect with people you knew via this site and continue your journey together. I don't know what the posting policies on JWR were but know it as a moderated site so can't imagine them being hugely different to the ones here. We try to be friendly and welcoming but not too sanitized that we don't allow some heated debate, the community guidelines and posting rules (links in the footer) should probably give you a feel for what we're aiming for.

At a more practical level, there's probably some changes to how the software on this site works from what you were used to so I thought I'd post some quick tips and feel free to ask questions if you are stuck on anything.

The top toolbar has links to the Latest active topics which is what I find most valuable to catch up on. You can sort topics by date started, date last updated and number of posts whether you are looking at the entire site, an individual subject section or the topics by any person.

Less obvious is being able to see topics that you have participated in - to do this, click your name in the nav bar to go to the profile page and then choose the "Topics posted on" link, that's a good page to bookmark as it's the discussions you are engaged in.

The profile page will also let you update your avatar which helps people recognize you.

Hopefully the posting itself is straightforward enough and uses a fairly typical WYSIWYG HTML editor. We do have posting limits which are designed to be elastic and instead of blocking things, just start to gradually delay posts appearing if you hit them (mostly intended to protect us against spammers). Once a post is submitted it will show up even if it doesn't immediately appear so don't feel you need to re-submit - that will just create duplicate posts and ultimately trigger longer delays.

We look forward to getting to know you all and hope you find this site useful and a worthy replacement. If you have any questions about how to use the site, feel free to post them here. If you have any issues you can also PM me or Angharad or email if it's todo with sign-in or registration (simon@jehovahs-witness.com).

Many thanks
    Simon

• Giordano
    Giordano

Simon I will use this opportunity to mention that I have lost the highlight feature a week or two back. I used it a lot as I like to reference some one's else's point or a quote from another source. I am using Chrome.

Just need to know if the Highlight option is still available.

Thanks.

Gio

• Worldling9
    Worldling9

Thank you for being here for us Simon and Angharad. I for one am not tech savvy, so I will be appreciating your help!

Wl9

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Thank you for the welcome, the support and the awesome description of your site. I have been to a lot of social networking forums and that was a fantastic welcome!

Are there any restrictions on avatars? Is there a specific size range for pictures? Do you have a tech support section or group of posts for those of us who are tech-unsavvy?

• freddo
    freddo

You got that email address right Simon?

• KateWild
    KateWild

I would like to say welcome too. I don't post as much as I used to. But I am here daily to support those who are asking for it.

I left due to the mishandling of domestic violence in WT. If this is your experience too or you want to know more, I have a YouTube and JC recording. PM me for it if you want to listen.

Welcome again

Kate xx

• marlborobarbie
    marlborobarbie

Thank you for the lovely welcome. :) I'm excited to build relationships on this site, too.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I'd like to say welcome to all the migrants from JWR - of course this only possible due to our membership of the EU.........Ooops wrong thread!
  • TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Thank you Simon. It feels good to be here. I am grateful to you for maintaining this place for us.

TB-

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

LOL cantleave 😁

Thanks for making everyone welcome Simon 👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit