I was disfellowshipped because of Satan

by elbib 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• elbib
    elbib

During CO visit, I took him for a Bible Study I was conducting. During the session, the householder said he believed Satan was not a person, but personification of evil within us. I left CO to handle householder’s doubt. CO tried as usual with WT answers (if Satan was a quality, it would mean Jesus was talking to the evil within him, but he was sinless …bla bla.). Unfortunately, householder did not seem to be convinced of CO’s reasoning.

On our way back, I told CO that the householder had a point. He said in the temptation account, Satan is shown as reflecting the erroneous belief of ancient time that shape of earth is flat, thus taking Jesus to the top of “a very high mountain” and showed “all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.” (Mathew 4:8, 9) The fact that Jesus did not correct the mistaken view of Satan shows the account of temptation is allegorical. Further, Jesus knew that Satan was only a personification of evil (Mathew 16:23; John 6:70) and categorically declared that “all evil thoughts proceed from one’s heart,” not from Satan. (Mark 7:21; James 1:14). There is nothing unusual with personification as Bible personifies even material riches. (Mathew 6:24).

CO did not respond to my comments. I thought that was the end of the matter.

However, I did not know that CO had registered a case against me with the Body of Elders. In the following week after CO visit, two elders approached me and asked whether I still stick to my view about Satan which I shared with CO. I really got angry within me thinking why should CO take seriously something I said so casually and informally. I responded: “If you both have come to build a case against me with two of you being the prospective witnesses to what I am going to say, here is my view. I do not believe Satan is a person, but a personification of evil tendencies found in all of us. You do whatever you want to do, and you don’t have to take the trouble of informing me what your decision is going to be.” After that I never went to Kingdom Hall.

After a few months, my friends in the congregation informed me that my disfellowshipping was announced. Reason: apostasy!

• Half banana
    Half banana

How interesting Elbib, I hope you always stick to good reasoning and the strength of your convictions.

I was a JW for 25 years and during all that time I held the same viewpoint as you and the householder did, even though I wasted my time as a pioneer I could not see Satan as a creature or person but as a personification.

From your experience it looks like they now have a religious police mentality to stifle any clear reasoning among the rank and file to maintain doctrinal purity.

The GB say we are the bosses who make up the doctrines and it's your job to just obey...

I hope you feel comfortable with your new found freedom.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Satan became an Angel of light for you, go figure.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Good grief Elbib that was crazy. You were not only a regular publisher but you were conducting Bible Studies. The thought police found you anyway! You are well out of it. I hope you didn't lose family. Are those friends who told you that you were disfellowshipped still speaking to you?
  • elbib
    elbib

Half banana & James Mixon,

Yes, freedom has fragrance too. I am really enjoying my freedom.

• elbib
    elbib
    zanthippe,

Yes, they are updating me on everything that happens in the congregation.

• freddo
    freddo

@elbib

I guess this was the culmination on top of other things you had said in the past like the 144,000 not being literal and stuff?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have to agree with the householder's and your definition of evil elbib.

Evil starts as a choice to do something bad. This lives within all of us. If Jesus was a real person, he, too, had this within him.

It was Christianity that decided to personify, externalize, and elevate evil to the status of person-hood by giving it a proper, formal name. By doing this, Christianity has exonerated themselves from the responsibility of evil, ie the choice to do bad. It is where "The Devil Made Me Do It" ideal originated. Just think on that for a bit and what that actually means.

James Mixon said: Satan became an Angel of light for you, go figure.

elbib, WTWizard has some interesting thoughts on the whole Satan - God - Bible thing.

• Carol1111
    Carol1111

It would be very unfair of God to blame mankind for all the evil in the world if it were caused by a superhuman entity to whom God had given the power.

Also, why did Jesus compare himself with the serpent on the pole?

John 3 v 14 and as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

Think about it.

• elbib
    elbib

freddo,

yes, I had many issues like that. Then I understood I need not ask anybody to understand what is in the Bible. Also, God will not leave a book to his children to be understood with the help of other children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit