What do you do when you're home alone on a meeting night?

by nowawake14 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I remember the first year I didn’t go to the RC stayed home and watched several seasons of walking dead.

• stillin
    stillin

Hill Street Blues

LA Law

Satan deliberately put some great TV programs on meeting nights.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

He sure did, only saw them when sick are when the CO visited and mtgs were rearranged that week

I remember Petticoat Junction and The Red Skelton show came on, on Tuesdays nights back in the 60's, so did Maude never saw that show back then in late 70's as well as Happy Days, and don't get me started on Friday nights when back in the 60's and early 70's we had our Ministry on that night

• blondie
    blondie

I remember that during the second season, Star Trek was put on Thursday night. Argh! Before VCRs and On Demand. Then the meetings were put on Friday night to keep us teenagers from being tempted to going to school sporting events on Friday. Yay!

• sparky1
    sparky1

'the meetings were put on Friday nights.' - blondie

Witness kids today don't realize how good they have it compared to when we were young. The Ministry school and Service meetings were held on Friday night and ran until 9:30 pm. We would get up on Saturday and go in field service until exactly 12:00 pm. The afternoon we had a breather. Then Sunday morning it was back out in field service until 12:00 pm , a quick lunch and then we had to get ready for the Public Talk and Watchtower Study at 3:00 pm. The Public Talk was an hour back then not including opening song, plus we had an intermission and then we had the Watchtower study which was at least an hour long not including songs. So that brought you up to at least 5:30 pm after which you went home for a quick supper, you did your homework and then went to bed so that you could have a fresh start to the week.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

@Diogenesister, I wonder how many people ended up in the back room because of that song.

@Sparky1, Your comment reminded me of a Steve Harvey bit. He talked about how his mother would make him go to church all the time. Finally he got fed up with it and asked her, "Can I just go to hell?" LOL

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I don't know which nights are meeting nights any longer. It doesn't matter, on any night I do something disapproved by the WT powers that be, whether its entertainment of just thinking freely. So I guess you could sum it up by saying, committing the sin of being out of the fantasy loop.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Aint that the truth? I remember Quantum Leap (when it was modern) was on on Tuesday nights which was the book study.

If you got to miss the meeting you could actually watch it.

Then some elders wife heard about the show (heard about it, never actually seen it) and claimed that Sam was "possessing" the persons body and it was therefore demonic. So that was the end of that show.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Go to the pub.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the days before pop videos on YouTube..I would watch ' Top of The Pops' on the telly...

Why did they always put it on on a Thursday meeting nigbt?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit