What is Racially Derogatory Language

by barry 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Context is everything, LoveUni. You know that.

A non-Chinese person calling a Chinese person "chinaman" is as offensive as calling a black person a nigger.

How does Chinaman remove Chinese people's individuality any more than terms such as the Chinese or Han do?

I probably worded that wrong. I was trying to convey that the term removes their dignity rather than their individuality. Individuality is a foreign concept and best suited to North American cultures.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A non-Chinese person calling a Chinese person is as offensive as calling a black person a n****r ... really?!

I agree that Chinaman is old-fashioned and outdated.

The best term for Chinese people is exactly that ... Chinese people.

Or Han - that's the name they call themselves.

Even better is calling them by their individual names - Mr Lee, Mrs Chan, etc.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yes.

Really.

I thought your username implied you had been to university. Your curriculum must have been purely mathematically based. Didn't you take any history classes?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Nathan 😂😂😂😂

You are awful but I like you!!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    And to make it even more comparable, the Englandman, etc, would have to have been used to build railroads in China

Will Burma do?

😉

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We have many races in my city but it's getting awkward to describe someone these days. I often want to say at work when I don't know someone's name, oh that Indian lady or the Asian man.

Sometimes I've described someone like that and the person I'm talking to looks shocked and changes it to, oh you mean the tall man or the lady who always... whatever. When something as obvious as race identifies someone it seems insane not to use it to describe them.

I was on a bible study years ago and someone knocked at the door so I looked out the window as I was nearest and the lady of the house said, who is it, black or white? I guess to her black probably meant a relative. What's wrong with that?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I thought your username implied you had been to university. Your curriculum must have been purely mathematically based. Didn't you take any history classes? - yes, I've been to (and graduated from) uni.

My curriculum was biology based. We humans (Homo sapiens) are animals, primates. Human evolution, anatomy and behaviour were introduced and explained to some degree.

I have no qualifications in history (I dropped the subject and chose Geography instead for GCSE) but I am a keen learner and student of history.

Like you, I like to put things into perspective. Perspective is very important.

For instance, roughly about the same time as Chinaman was popular and acceptable throughout western countries, Japanese soldiers were massacring and raping Chinese people in Nanking. There's a little bit of perspective for you.

And today, with all the problems Australia faces, the Racial Equality Commissar latches onto the word Chinaman, as if this is a serious problem ... more perspective.

You're welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit