What is Racially Derogatory Language

by barry 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

Sorry lost the final two thirds. Since you can't read the section I lost........ take my word it was really great stuff.....no really!

God knows where it landed.

• tiki
    tiki

I think this whole offensive bit has gone too far. Can't say "oriental" anymore...guess it wasn't the Orient after all. Native Americans are not Indians. Playing cowboys and Indians....how dreadful. Negro ...the long time name associated with dark skinned people is objectionable. Can't even call a Polish person a Pollak.....but Slavs you can call Slavakians.....at least I think that one is still okay. Jews, kikes...no and I get it...ditto Italians, wops..dagos. But a man from China is not a chinaman? The sausage part is defintely unnecessary. Oh well....everyone has to be offended by something no matter how irrelevant.

• cofty
    cofty

The never-ending escalator of political correctness.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

" Chin Tan said using the word Chinaman is offensive."

I think there's a chink in his argument somewhere...

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Oh your terrible Nathan LOL

• Simon
    Simon

Surely the term for Chinese people now is "spammer"?

• waton
    waton

politucal correctness has created new sensitivities.The orientals , I heard, always had a thing about saving face, maintaining their dignity, with little sense of humour. I fear we underestimate the Chinese people. Hopefully one day they will display less fury than the Germans unleashed because of the indignities they suffered following Versailles.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I really fear for the livelihoods of stand-up comedians nowadays. Maybe not so much in the U.S. but definitely in the U.K. Making jokes or ridiculing certain groups/types/nations/minorities is not only viewed as being "politically incorrect", it's fast becoming a criminal offence!

More sinisterly, someone voicing an opposite viewpoint to a certain demographic's thinking or behaviour will almost certainly result in bringing down social media fire & brimstone on the commenter - or something much worse!

Freedom of speech?

p.s. I'm a Jock - but don't you dare call me that!!!! It would offend me. :)

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Barry: Makes you wonder is Englishman or Australian man or Scotsman is also just as offensive

That is not an accurate comparison. Comparable terms would be: Englandman, Scotlandman and Australiaman.

And to make it even more comparable, the Englandman, etc, would have to have been used to build railroads in China. The Englandman and the Scotlandman would have been the ones to get blown up with dynamite instead of the Chinese.

Yes, "Chinaman" is an offensive term. It is a stereotypical term that removes the Chinese people's individuality and designates them as a slave class for the Englandman and the Scotlandman and the Australiaman.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It is a stereotypical term that removes the Chinese people's individuality and designates them as a slave class for the Englandman and the Scotlandman and the Australiaman

How does Chinaman remove Chinese people's individuality any more than terms such as the Chinese or Han do?

I realise Chinaman is an outdated term and is offensive when used in conjunction with other words (e.g. ching chang Chinaman).

The Aussie politician could - and perhaps should - have chosen his words much more carefully. But is he really a racist?

" Chin Tan said using the word Chinaman is offensive."

I think there's a chink in his argument somewhere... - XD I'd like this even if I was Chinese.

p.s. I'm a Jock - but don't you dare call me that!!!! It would offend me - nothing wrong with being a Jock, kilt and all.

But haggis, though ... seriously?!

If your national dish is a sheep's stomach you're gonna be bitter. XD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit