It seems the 'end' might come by way of humans stupidity, not a plan of a god

by sowhatnow 24 Replies latest social current

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-we-re-on-the-brink-of-earth-s-sixth-mass-extinction

pretty obvious, we've deforested the planet so much it cant clean the air, we've polluted the water so much its not fit to drink, we've poisoned the soil so much it cant grow food, we use so many chemicals, its killing off the insects who pollinate. and,

so while on post on this site claims the end of freedom for mankind, by way of evil governments,

we ignore the canary in the coal mine..

any opinion on this environmental disaster we've caused?

what Miraculous new inventions will 'suddenly' appear on the horizon to save us from ourselves?

who will clean up the mess?

• ttdtt
  • DJS
    DJS

Sowhatnow,

So you are also an End of Time nutjob, huh? I'm glad no one is paying any attention to this nonsense. Does the planet have issues? Certainly. Are these issues being addressed? Definitely, some of them to an amazingly high degree. But if you keep hysterically focusing on the negative and ignoring the actual data and evidence, you will continue to be trapped in the post-Dub End of Time delusion.

Almost all of the hysterics you reference are due to emerging nations trying to develop a sustainable economic model - just like the US and Europe did over a century ago. This is temporary. It will be reversed.

Like a lot of the hysterics and theorists on this site, you seem capable of surfing websites and articles that support your hysteria and confirm your biases, but you are incapable of finding articles that refute them. Often when you are searching the positive articles are right fukking next to the negative ones. WTF is wrong with you that you and those like you who won't read or consider them?

From a variety of web sources:

Air and water are cleaner than they were 100 years ago in the US, Europe and the industrialized nations. Since the late 1970s, pollutants in the air have plunged. Lead pollution plunged by more than 90 percent, carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide by more than 50 percent, with ozone and nitrogen dioxide declining as well. By nearly every standard measure it is much, much, much cleaner today in the United States and other industrialized nations than 50 and 100 years ago. One hundred years ago, about one in four deaths in America was due to contaminants in drinking water. But from 1971-2002, fewer than three people per year in the United States were documented to have died from water contamination.

Birth rates have fallen by about one-half around the world over the last 50 years. Developed countries are having fewer kidsy. Even with a population of 7.3 billion people, average incomes, especially in poor countries, have surged over the last 40 years. The number of people in abject poverty fell by 1 billion between 1981 and 2011, even as global population increased by more than 1.5 billion.

Global per capita food production is 40 percent higher today than as recently as 1950. In most nations the nutrition problem today is obesity - too many calories consumed - not hunger. The number of famines and related deaths over the last 100 years has fallen in half. More than 12 million lives on average were lost each decade from the 1920s-1960s to famine. Since then, fewer than 4 million lives on average per decade were lost.

Sub-Saharan Africa plans to plant a nine mile width of trees on the Southern Border of the Sahara Desert The Great Green Wall initiative is a pan-African proposal to “green” the continent from west to east in order to battle desertification. It aims at tackling poverty and the degradation of soils in the Sahel-Saharan region, focusing on a strip of land of 15 km (9 mi) wide and 7,500 km (4,750 mi) long from Dakar to Djibouti.

In the US, which contains 8 percent of the world's forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), "Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920." The greatest gains have been seen on the East Coast (with average volumes of wood per acre almost doubling since the '50s) which was the area most heavily logged by European settlers beginning in the 1600s, soon after their arrival.

In Canada, overall forest cover is increasing over the last decades. In China, extensive replanting programs have existed since the 1970s. Programs have had overall success. The forest cover has increased from 12% of China's land area to 16%. The "Green Wall of China", an attempt to limit the expansion of the Gobi Desert is planned to be 2,800 miles (4,500 km) long and to be completed in 2050. China plans to plant 26 billion trees in the next decade that is two trees for every Chinese citizen per year. China requires that students older than 11 years old plant one tree a year until their high school graduation.

Reforestation is required as part of the federal forest law in Germany. 31% of Germany is forested, according to the second forest inventory of 2001–2003. The size of the forest area in Germany increased between the first and the second forest inventory due to forestation of degenerated bogs and agricultural areas. Similar results are occurring throughout most of Europe and the industrialized nations.

Climate change will without a doubt cause some problems, but they will be addressed. In the meantime, the air, water and soil improve, dramatically so. The planet is better fed and poverty continues to be reduced. Birth rates will soon get to the point of leveling out and sustainability. The planet is also being re-forested at an amazing rate. Overall crime is down considerably and people are living much longer and more fulfilling lives than ever before in human history. The few problem areas are in emerging 3rd world nations; these will also be resolved within a generation.

You want an opinion? You are a nutjob.

• mana11
    mana11
    Did i Hear the Word "MONSANTO"
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I dunno... kinda hard to get rid of 7 billion of anything.

x

That being said, reading about stuff like this was one of the things that initially led me to question the value of WT affiliation.

I asked myself, "this kind of shit would affect everyone - JWs or otherwise - so where's the advantage in exclusive devotion to the WTS (particularly when they barely even mention stuff like this)?"

So, I supposed there was some value in it. :smirk:

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

DJS, my avatar might look hysterical, But Im not, lol.

sure there are articles that show how things have gotten better, between Smithsonian, wired ,and the Atlantic and scientific American, maybe i recall a few. however Im thinking its more of like when a parent tells a teenager over and over again, to clean his room, and he doesn't, then as an adult turns into a hoarder.

I cant believe how many people I know who are so terribly wasteful.

you have to start early with the lectures, because people suffer in the long term waiting for them to ACT on what is already known to be a solution. yes the technology is there, [often with good intentions at first but them turns out not to be so great, and then they backpedal] and always has been, its how you get a billion people to GET OFF THEIR A$@$ and do something before every drop of water is toxic, every beautiful butterfly and bird and animal we've ever knows is lost. just sayin.

• talesin
    talesin

I seem to recall you, DJS, making a claim recently, that you do not engage in name-calling.

What is this? A compliment?

So you are also an End of Time nutjob, huh?
  • DJS
    DJS

I don't recall making that claim. Its doubtful i did because i routinely call people what they reveal themselves to be. Unashamedly so. The Op asked for an opinion. I provided one.

If you find any flaw in my data or its evaluation please provide it. If not, WTF did you waste our time bumping this very bad OP.

Confirmation bias is one of the main tools used by the Dark Lords to trap us mentally. We allowed it. We are now free of their control. Well, some of us are. This very bad OP was dripping with confirmation bias and the same End of Time nonsense from which we escaped.

You are welcome.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

pretty obvious, we've deforested the planet so much it cant clean the air, we've polluted the water so much its not fit to drink, we've poisoned the soil so much it cant grow food, we use so many chemicals, its killing off the insects who pollinate. and,

Things are not perfect by any means but the planet is far from having been so "deforested" that it can't clean the air and there is still fresh clean water available to drink in more places than not and the ground is still able to grow food and insects are still able to live and do their job. Exaggerate much?

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

exactly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit