Don't know if I'm hearing things.

by Bigdummy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bigdummy
    Bigdummy

I went to the hall with my wife on Sunday. I try to be there for my wife at some meetings

because she is still neck deep in the beliefs and she understands my fading and doesn't

give me a bunch of grief about it. We have a conversation at times about what I don't be-

lieve anymore. Anyway the speaker shifted his talk to the 30 something attendees who

were not baptized jw's. I will use his quotes as closely as I can. He said " I guarantee this

is the truth but don't take my word for it. I want you to research the Jehovah's Witnesses

for yourself. Be like the Bereans and don't just accept something that somebody tells you.

Churches teach doctrines and have no moral compass coming from Bible teachings.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not have doctrines, we have the truth. Matthew 24:45 shows

definitely that Jehovah has a modern day organization." Okay I'll stop the quotes now.

There was so much wrong from my 60 + years of jw understanding that I couldn't quite

take it all in yesterday. My own researching and years of doubt have me where I am now.

If he wanted them to do research in jw publications only I could see his point. Jehovah's

Witnesses do not teach doctrines? I told my wife that one of the gb said they were the

guadians of doctrine. The statement that Matt 24:45 affirms that Jehovah has a modern

organization and it's the Jehovah's Witnesses? I didn't get that from reading that scripture.

My wife said " hmm " and went to sleep.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Interesting....

But no one listening would have had a problem with that sadly. They would have felt convinced that because he quoted the Faithful and Discreet Slave reference, that PROVES "we have the truth"

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Bigdummy

I am surprised he said that. Like you, we are where we are today, because of our research of this cult. Hopefully, the younger ones will do just as he said and do that research. The rest just accept if for what it is and bob their heads up in down in agreement.

All the young ones have to do is observe the WT to see what it really consists of. HYPOCRISY! If 2 old people like my spouse and I can see it, certainly the younger generation can see it.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    I want you to research the Jehovah's Witnesses
    for yourself. Be like the Bereans and don't just accept something that somebody tells you.

By this, the speaker means, "Scour the jw.org website that only has literature dating back 10 years, and then you will have all the proof you need that this is the trooof." - - In JDub land, "research" does not mean the inclusion of literature dating back to the beginning of the Watchtower religious bowel movement and CERTAINLY does not include outside information.

What, are you crazy?

• Wayward
    Wayward

Reading old WT volumes was what convinced me that not only was the WTBTS NOT the truth, it was pure bull. So yes, young ones. By all means, research.

• steve2
    steve2

The overwhelming impression from your OP is that the speaker is a simpleton, incapable of seeing the flaws in his "arguments", especially his assertion that JWs 'don't have doctrines - they have the truth'. Honestly, only someone with a largely closed-down and/or inactive brain could say such a thing.

• Lieu
    Lieu

JWs can't accept "truth". They can't accept "faith" either. That's why they have more written and unwritten rules than the Mosaic Law. They can't accept what Jesus himself said because they aren't allowed to. They're enslaved to NY crazies.

The truth for Bible believers (Christians anyway) is that there is one God, one mediator, one faith, one baptism, and one hope.

JWs have 2 baptisms, 2 hopes, 2 mediators, and no faith in Jesus Christ's name. 2 faiths. One faith for the "anointed", the other faith is for their piss poor interpretation of the 'other sheep'.

I just told my JW relative that the other sheep means the Gentiles, it's in Isaiah .... silence.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has flipflopped with their interpretation of Acts 17:10,11 over the years. Especially in 1981 the time of the Big Apostasy at Bethel they printed this.

Don't forget the paragraphs in one of the 1981 WTs.

*** w81 2/15 p. 18 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***How shall we view the spiritual food provided by this “faithful and discreet slave”? Should it be viewed critically—‘Oh, well, it might be true but then again it might not be and so we have to scrutinize it very critically’? Some apparently have felt that way about it. To support their way of thinking they have quoted Acts 17:11, which says of newly interested persons at Beroea: “Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.” But does this mean that those Beroeans were looking for flaws in the message they were hearing, or that their attitude was one of doubting? Does this set a precedent for regarding critically the publications brought forth by the “faithful and discreet slave,” with a view to finding fault? Not at all!

----------------------------------------------------------

But just the opposite in many other interpretations.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/265180/interesting-old-wt-awake-articles-regarding-acts-17-11-beroeans-keep-testing

• Incognito
    Incognito

Perhaps that speaker has awoken to TTATT and intends to help as many as he can to leave, while he is still considered a good JW and remains above suspicion.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5717486716583936/best-way-witness-wake-up-simply-read-societies-own-older-publications

yes, research the society publications....just NOT the older stuff. As Zoos rightly said already, only "current history" going back 10 years or so is available on the official site...so don't go past that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit