Jah Jireh Care Homes

by pale.emperor 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

on the balance of probability--i would think the majority of elderly dubs in the UK are "poor"---just getting by on the state pension. so--when they go into care--its most likely the care home fees will be paid by the local authority ( the council ). so--in the case of these jah jireh homes--yes--a very profitable business. good supply of new customers---fees guaranteed. good supply of staff--no doubt on the minimum wage. thank goodness the regulatory authority--CQC--has teeth !

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I think that would be the issue - but interestingly what about actually advertising job vacancies? - you could almost 'pre-select' people by the newspaper/outlet you decided to advertise in? An advert in a Catholic newspaper or a gay magazine is going to generally attract a certain applicant in the first place...

There is no legal requirement to advertise vacancies AFAIK but when they are advertised then they cannot be discriminatory. JJ has employment vacancies on their website. They link to a job application form that asks if the person is a JW. That is discriminatory in itself.

I don't know enough about JJ to know if they employ non-Witnesses but all the stuff I have ever heard is that they don't. I don't know if they interview non-Witness applicants.

They may interview non Witnesses for the sake of procedure but even if there is active discrimination on the basis of religion then the problem is proving it. It's one thing to go to tribunal if dismissed from a job but if you never got it in the first place...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Cheers L&F - not the one I knew then.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

on the balance of probability--i would think the majority of elderly dubs in the UK are "poor"---just getting by on the state pension. so--when they go into care--its most likely the care home fees will be paid by the local authority ( the council ). so--in the case of these jah jireh homes--yes--a very profitable business

Err no - actually I think that it's the OPPOSITE...

The Guardian, 22 August 2017

There is now compelling evidence that self-funded residents are paying higher fees and effectively subsidising state-funded residents sharing the same home, and that without this much of the social care market would not be viable

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2017/aug/22/will-consumer-law-destroy-care-home-market

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

konceptual99: when they are advertised then they cannot be discriminatory

It seems they can, though maybe not for all job-roles within the care home. By asking the 'JW question' they could say they're simply finding out what the most appropriate job-role for somebody would be in relation to the care home's 'religious ethos'

The following link is interesting - below is just a snippet...

The Equality Act 2010 does potentially allow for religious organisations to require workers to be a member of a particular faith if they are able to show that, having regard to the nature and the context of the work, such a requirement is a genuine (general) ‘occupational requirement’ for the role. In order to satisfy the legislation, the occupational requirement to be of a particular religion or belief is a ‘proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim’, taking into account the religious ethos of the organisation and the type of employment the worker is to undertake.
    READ MORE: http://www.lesteraldridge.com/employees-faith-based-requirements/
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    The Guardian, 22 August 2017
    There is now compelling evidence that self-funded residents are paying higher fees and effectively subsidising state-funded residents sharing the same home, and that without this much of the social care market would not be viable.

That's correct. My MIL sold her home to pay for her care in a residential home. The cost was £800 per week. Once her assets fell below £23K, the state would take over her payments, however, the same residential home only charged the state £580 per week for non self-funders. BUT the home were not obligated to continue MIL's care as once she stopped being a self-funder, they would give preference to another self-funder and suggest MIL moved somewhere else.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Yes snugglebunny - sad but true.

I was surprised (annoyed even?) when stan livedeath made his comment above - especially as he mentioned earlier in this same thread that his wife apparently works as a senior carer in a care home....

• tepidpoultry
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Thanks for the link DS, it seems there is an allowance they can use but as noted it cannot apply to all roles in the organisation. The question in the OP then comes back into play as to what happens if someone is DFed.

Having said that, if a job required that a JW fill it then this surely should be clear in the advert.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    on the balance of probability--i would think the majority of elderly dubs in the UK are "poor"---just getting by on the state pension. so--when they go into care--its most likely the care home fees will be paid by the local authority ( the council ). so--in the case of these jah jireh homes--yes--a very profitable business. good supply of new customers---fees guaranteed. good supply of staff--no doubt on the minimum wage. thank goodness the regulatory authority--CQC--has teeth !

Not sure about this Stan. As pointed out by other posters there is a growing gap between the funding available at state level and that which is generally charged by care homes. Even though JJ don't say they cannot take state funded residents they 100% require top ups through some additional funding as an relative of an in-law has recently gone to one and this was a big issue as her home is being used to fund the excess and the family are seeing their inheritance rapidly diminish. The knock on of this is that they were all needing the inheritance to cover financial issues caused by poor decisions that are biting them thanks to the Big A not coming. Now they are facing financial destitution in their old age.

There is the question about how much it actually costs and what care homes may be taking to cover increasing staff costs and maintain profits but I have a contact who made big money in care homes and he is adamant that it's not anywhere near as good as it was 15, 20 years ago and he's glad he got out when he did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit