Has anyone here joined a different church after ditching the JWs?

by NikL 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I was a Baptist for 9 years. In UK not as strict and conservative as US Baptist but still Bible believing.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Still a JW, but personally contribute $$$ to humanist causes.

DY

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Apart from attending funerals, I have attended church only once - and that was purely as a favour to a friend who was experiencing some problems.

I will say that that particular church offered helpful and extremely professional counselling for those experiencing such difficulties. The church's "counseller" was in fact a properly trained health professional who worked alongside, but still independently of, the church's priest. (Contrast that with the JWs, where a Kangaroo Court comprising of one Toilet Cleaner, one Boilermaker and one Construction Labourer tried to deal with an attempted suicide - as happened in the case of my eldest daughter!)

Other than that, I have kept away from religion in any of its forms.

• Irishdub
    Irishdub

OP

Fellowship/ed at *conditional immortality* (soul sleep) churchs like SDA, WWCOG splits, Jews for Jesus, and Methodist, attended Dawn Bible (former INT Bible students) on line once, BUT NEVER will join any ...

• Steel
    Steel

I grew up in a normal evangelical Christian church and left in my late teens, like many of us do. Met a JW girls, spent a numbers of years in the KH and went back to the church I left in my teens.

I soon realized the KH is like bizarre world where everything was backwards. Its wasn't a church, it was a hall. We are saved though works, not grace. It was a stake, not a cross. We display our loyality to god my rejecting the emblems. We have our own bible called the NWT, all the other ones are corrupt.

The one teaching that would make my blood boil was the great opposition you will face when become a Jehovah witness when leaving the false religions of christedom and how you would lose your family. I soon realized it was the exact opposite. Those fuckers just lie straight to your face. If you choose to go my man church , its going to cost you your family.

I still can't get over the irony of that.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I joined a mainline church, was a deacon for a time, and attended many non-fundamentalist services at varying denominations. I guess I'm more in the "spiritual not religious" camp these days, so while I don't have anything against churches in general, I don't feel drawn to go anymore.

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

I joined a United Methodist Church with my wife for two reasons. First my wife always wanted to attend church with her husband but it took 20 years to overcome the poison I knew as the Truth. It really is a easy way to give her something that is important to her. Second it gives me an outlet to help others. Through the church I volunteer in a soup kitchen, food pantry, distributing toys for tots, lgbt rights, etc. I've been very open about being somewhere between an atheist and agnostic and they don't care. In fact I've just joined a board dealing with social justice.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I was a Mormon for a while. I got baptized and everything. I know that sounds crazy, but for me it was a combination of nostalgia and a truly progressive belief system.

Nostalgia because, superficially, Mormons are a lot like JWs (it's almost like JW lite): men wear suits, ladies wear dresses, we go door-to-door and every male gets to be an elder. Also, the idea that God wanted Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit so they could become deities like him is not only awesome, but makes a lot more sense than the JW idea of an omniscient being nonetheless testing his creations so they can fail and he can gloat.

If the archeological evidence for the BoM wasn't so conspicuously absent, I probably would have continued to give Joseph Smith the benefit of a doubt and been a sort of layed back liberal mormon who drank tea and winked at polygamy. Too bad...

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In the journey of my escape from the JWs, I discovered that I was not religious. So, I never had a desire to even consider another religion or church.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

After going to a small community Church for about 9 months we left because it was intellectual deprived. It was like going to kindergarten every Sunday. Also the preacher knew my wife was a atheist and at the end started saying bad things about atheists. So we left. During that time I became a atheist. We found a Unitarian Universalist congregation nearby and feel in love with it. Just about everyone there are atheist. Most came from mainline religion but we are the only XJW which makes us very unique. We have had the opportunity to give several talks on cults. We are going on 5 years now and my only regret is why couldn't I have learned about UU religion 55 years ago. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit