Next New Light??? Heaven's Doors Closed in 1935

by Elsewhere 37 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I don't have it handy, but I believe that the United in Worship book listed 1935 as the cutoff. Does anyone have this?

• observador
    observador

Elsewhere,

The WTS can say that they did not make the statement; it was the personal opinion of the overzealous person that was interviewed. Of course that pesky overzealous person will not be DFed for apostasy even though they managed to slip their evil apostate views past the editors of the magazine.

Very good points. And thanks for the laugh!

Observador.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    redefine 144,000 as a SYMBOLIC number instead of a literal number

Good call, Nina! The whole book of Revelation is "symbolic" except for that one little part about 144,000 going to heaven. Can we all say "New Light"? When that comes out in some future publication, and it will, let's all remember this thread and make sure Nina gets credit. Hmm, maybe even we can all back her up when she sues them for plagarism?

Mike.

p.s. never mind that we're talking about interpretations of stuff that was written thousands of years ago by superstitious primitives, most of whom were unable to communicate with each other so as to coordinate what they were writing, and those writings were then translated and combined into one book by even more superstitious and primitive men who enjoyed burning alive people who disagreed with them.

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

It's a constant source of amusement to hear my brother justify the "new light" policy. Sometimes I get the feeling he feels uncomfortable explaining the increasing level of light levels, especially when I'm grinning and asking him,

"What? Brighter Still? How bright can it get?"

It does not bother him too much now, but over many years, I'm sure that this one little question of mine will start to wear him down, as he realizes the light was never that bright to start with.

I can see how the younger members easily get the wool pulled over their eyes - but the elderly - that's got to be a different story!?!? I know one Elder (a writer for the WT and Awake in Australia... or at least he used too - he's getting old), who's been in the truth since the WW2. His wife died not too long ago, so surely he has at least considered his own mortality? For so many years he thought he might not die... or did he? Do witnesses get so blasé about "Armageddon any day now", that they don't really believe it anymore? When is enough, enough?

• Mary
    Mary

Quite frankly, (and please forgive me for being so blunt), but it's really none of their god damn business who goes to heaven and who doesn't. Less they forget, it is GOD who is the Judge of mankind, not twelve senile old goats in Bethel. Just because they say that the "cut off date was 1935", doesn't make it so. I can claim that the cut off date was 1968----it don't mean squat.

It should be quite interesting to see what transpires over the next 10 years with regards to this ridiculous doctrine; after all doesn't the scriptures say "that we who survive to the coming of the Lord shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself shall desend from heaven.........afterwards, we the living shall with them, be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord."

Don't they take this as referring to members of the 144,000? Once all the remaining 8,000 die off, what excuse are they going to come up with then to explain this scripture away? Stay tuned next week for the continuing saga of: As My Stomach Turns.........

• Francois
    Francois

Frankly this is like debating still whether or not the moon is made of green cheese.

We've been there. We looked for green cheese. We didn't find any. Discussion over. Is there anything wrong with that line of reasoning?

• minimus
    minimus

1935 is not a fixed date. The SUGGESTION that 1935 was a cut-off date is real but "they never said it" would be their mantra. They never said some might be able to vote either.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    but it's really none of their god damn business who goes to heaven and who doesn't

I think you have stumbled onto something here... all they have to do is stop counting those who partake. If the information does not exist then people cannot analyze it. Problem Solved.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

w2005 07/15 p15

7. Has the number of anointed Christians been sealed? We know Jehovah has chosen 144,000 of his faithful servants to rule in heaven (Revelation 14:3) In the past some have speculated that this number was sealed in 1935. But would this be a reasonable conclusion? Well, would it be in accord with Jehovah's righteous principles to "cut off" the heavenly calling? Clearly, it would not. (Ezra 7:24) It seems likely then that this great gathering work will continue, not only for the great crowd who have the earthly hope, but also for their brothers and sisters with a heavenly calling. (Ephesians 2:4-6) Does it not make our hearts glad when we read of Jehovah's loving provisions in this time of the end?

7(a) What have some speculated in the past concerning the 144,000? (b) What seems likely with respect to the great gathering work? (c) How does it make our hearts feel when we read of Jehovah's loving provisions in this time of the end?

• SYN
    SYN

Hi Euphimism, you've come a long way - well done. Good to see that!

As to the Annointed Issue, it's fairly obvious that the Society just has to say that all the Annointed are actually Invisible.

That way they'll disappear! Problem solved! LOL! Hey, they did it with Jesus Christ, so surely a bunch of Publishers would be easier?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit