Alcohol and the Witness

by Maverick 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

When I first was studying with the duds, one of the things I found interesting is that duds are OK with drinking alcohol, "in moderation". I never was a big drinker, usually one drink if I'm out and will have to drive and no more than three in any 24 hour period, even if I'm staying home.

I wonder if the fact the "the judge" was a rumpot contributed to the soft attitude on alcohol? Most of the brothers I knew were big drinkers and many of the older elders drank more with dinner that I drink in a weekend.

Anyone have a comment on drinking as a dud? Also, if you drink, what is your favorite drink? I love single malt scotch, Dalmore, and a good cigar, Artero Fuetea, (not sure of the spelling). Maverick

• JH
    JH

I drink in average 40 beers a YEAR. That's not much, but I might take 4 beers at a time when I do drink. That's because the cans of beer are HUGE today compared to years ago. Last time I bought beer at the corner store, 1 only wanted 2 cans of beer, and the girl said you might as well take the King Can or something like that, it's the same price and you get twice as much she said.

But as a dub, I never drank. Even today, I can pass 1 or 2 months without one drop of alcohol.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Rutherford launched maybe the largest lobby from a "religion" against prohibition in the USA. More than a few printing and distribution recourses went into the lobbying against the liquor ban. There is a long love of alcohol by Witnesses.

The current ban against even the casual use of tobacco by the corporation is based on health endangerment reasons rather than religious reasons but the same principles do not apply and restrictions do not apply to other health threatening behaviors such as the use of ethanol or gluttony. There are more than a few obese Witnesses and many who use and abuse ethanol, all with blessings from headquarters.

It's a fact that alcohol is much more dangerous than tobacco in the short term. I am not aware of one smoker who died the first time she smoked, but I am aware of many people who died of ethanol poisoning or died in accidents the first time they used alcohol. Others kill innocent people the first time they use ethanol. So, the Society has an equal application of principle problem with the vices.

"A report from one European country indicates that at times some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a strong smell of alcohol on their breath."
    (The Watchtower Dec. 15, 1996, p. 29)

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well, I'll sit here with my glass of wine and contribute my two cents' worth! I never met any Witness who had an issue with alcohol until I came to Texas in 1973. Either you had a drink or you didn't and no one thought anything about it one way or another. In Texas we have a bunch of Baptist teetotallers turned JW and the whole subject of alcohol is, for some reason, fascinating. They either drink too much because they can or don't drink at all and make a big deal of it.

Yes, Big Tex, we should have found a place to serve alcohol at our wedding reception -- it would have helped us relax and would've given the old biddies something to talk about for YEARS! But I guess Dad's funeral accomplished that!

Nina

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Nothing like having dinner with the circuit overseer & his wife and having them drink you and your husband under the table. I don't know how he was able to give the talk the next morning - I had a headache.

closer

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    When I first was studying with the duds, one of the things I found interesting is that duds are OK with drinking alcohol, "in moderation".

Come down South and say that. Yeesh! I swear if these people down here swallowed a lump of coal, it would come out a a diamond. There's never been a more tightly wound people than converted Baptists into Jehovah's Witnesses.

Nope, alcohol down here gets the raised eyebrow, followed quickly by the nose in the air and a loftily phrased, "I'll have iced tea thank you."

Thanks Sugar Plum, I'll have a second bottle of beer.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

OK,

Lets get back to

(^%#@#%()&(&\

Sorry, there goes my copy/paste problem again. I will save this post and try again tomorrow.

Jst2laws

• Odrade
    Odrade

Around here, it really depends if you are in a city cong, or a small town one. The small town I was raised in, almost never served alcohol at gatherings, no matter the size. You also didn't imbibe when going to a restaurant with friends. I even remember my father having to use discretion when having a beer after mowing the lawn. Our ONE bottle of liqueur (yes, you read that right--not even hard spirits) was secreted under the kitchen sink, behind the waste-basket.

Then I moved into the city and OH! what a difference. Dub friends in good standing taught me what drinking really meant. The elders drink, many having DIY keg coolers in their garages. Many gatherings have liquor or beer/wine served in excess. If one was in a restaurant and consumed that much, they would probably be asked to leave. I have attended parties of JWs--all in "good standing" where the aftermath was an entire bathtub full of draining liquor and beer bottles.

There was once a huge incident involving me and a drunk sister (elder's wife) at a party. My emphatic reaction, not as a Witness but as someone who doesn't like drunken rudeness directed at me, resulted us being completely ostracized from that social circle. For sure, in the entire 1-1/2 to 2 years we were still in that congregation, we never received another invitation to a gathering unless it involved bringing someone an expensive baby gift. (Word was out that we always gave really great gifts for events.) The really enlightening thing about all this was that the moderate (me) was thrown out of the circle rather having to clean house of all the drunkard servants and servants' spouses. Oh well, I don't know why I'm surprised.

The thing about all this is, I'm certainly NOT a teetotaler myself. I just finished a great Midori Marg before I posted this. We often drink wine with dinner, we drink lightly to moderately when we socialize (buzz - good, puke - bad), and my husband (pater) is something of a beer connoisseur. I just prefer to remain in control.

Odrade

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

You must live closer to the buckle in that old Bible Belt than I do, brother Big Tex, because that's the national pastime in our county.. heheheh.

CG

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

I developed major drinking problems while I was underage AND in the troof. EVERYONE I know drank--and drank a lot. I had no problem getting older witnesses to serve me, or even buy it for me. (I always had a stash in my closet).

I seriously partied with JW's--and I mean puking your guts out partying...and not just with 'fringe' witnesses. JW's in good standing, or pioneers partied.

I was in the west, though--they are a lot more liberal out there, I guess.

As it is, I have quit drinking. But my favorite was always just a plain old Stoli Martini--bruised, with 3 olives...

Q.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit