Jehovah's Witness and Birthdays

by lisavegas420 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

The celebration of birthdays used to be forbidden on the grounds that it was supposedly of 'pagan origin'. At some point, apparently, they realized that birthdays had nothing to do with worship or religion, so they had to either admit that they were wrong, or come up with another justification. As is their usual MO, they opted for the latter course.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I also told them that there has NEVER been a be-heading at one of the birthday parties I've thrown.

Do pinatas count? Personally, I enjoy tremendously the joy of celebrating my children's and husband's and friends' birthdays openly now, instead of just in secret in my heart. Still a little unsure about mine but that has more to do with the number of years than the event!

Nina

• free will
    free will

mizpah, jw's with unbelieving mates felt an added burden at those 'special times'. we felt hypocritical, and worried about what other jw's were thinking - even if you obeyed all borg rules. we'd even recieve special visits from the elders to check on house decorations...

free will of the not so easy as it looked class.

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Yeah, sounds good to me about that comment "that's not how to have a birthday party". Im a Baptist, and in our religion we are not allowed to dance because of that incident of John the Baptist in the Bible. Of how the girl that dances pleases the king and says he'll give her anything she wants. So, if that's not how to have a birthday party then is dancing forbidden? From what I've been taught its not bad to dance if its to praise God or if you are dancing with another person but a bit appart from each other. Lol, weird. I don't really care since I don't dance anyways.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

As far as I know, the only haircut mentioned in the Bible is that of Samson, and look what happened to him. Haircuts are obviously not for Christians either.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

FunkyD-

Good point. . . .

• GotJesus
    GotJesus

We could look at Romans 14:5-6 to see a very clear message about how holidays should be handled.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    It's just as interesting to look at what is not said. The Isrealites had a law that covered everything. Very graphic, very detailed. They did not have a law that prohibited celebrating birthdays. There's a priciple here: "Where there is no law, there is no sin." The Bible also said NOT to "go beyond what is written."

Very good point CB, I'll have to remember that one.

• mizpah
    mizpah

freewill:

I'm sure that this is the case with some JWs who had unbelieving mates. It must have put an extra burden on the heavy load already carried. But I've also known cases where the believing mate seemed relieved to have an unbelieving mate as an excuse to share in the festivities. I've even known of situations where the believing mate really didn't want the unbeliever to "come into the truth." I think some JWs used their faith as a source of freedom from their mates.

I know of a case right now where a mother (JW) who has a unbelieving mate is only too happy to have an excuse to associate with her disfellowshipped son and his family. The husband refused to put up with her "shunning" when her son was first disfellowshipped. MInd you, I don't blame the woman at all. I give her credit for getting around the rules to have a normal family relationship.,

• BornAgainGirl!
    BornAgainGirl!

Hey Coffee,

Do you know the reference for "going beyond the things are are written"? That verse pops into my head all the time, as it seems to me that almost everything the JWs believe falls into that category.

I loved this topic - you guys all brought up such good points!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit