Jehovah's Witness and Birthdays

by lisavegas420 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I know that Jehovah's Witness say only two birthday celebrations are spoken of in the Bible and that neither were held by persons who worshiped Jehovah.

But there were more right? Or were there any other celebrations that were simular to birthday celebrations?

Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks in advance.

Lisa

• smurfette
    smurfette

Possibly. Job 1:4. "His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each on his day; and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them." (RSV) Someone on this site, I think, posted this scripture in reference to birthdays awhile ago but I can't remember who. Maybe they'll read this and be able to clarify this for you further.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It's just as interesting to look at what is not said. The Isrealites had a law that covered everything. Very graphic, very detailed. They did not have a law that prohibited celebrating birthdays. There's a priciple here: "Where there is no law, there is no sin." The Bible also said NOT to "go beyond what is written."

Just because something bad happened at 2 recorded birthday parties, does not mean that birthday parties are wrong.

Coffee

• Gopher
    Gopher

You know that the "faithful and discreet slave" has the obligation to make all the rules for its followers! Otherwise, how would they know what to do?

So there is a rule against birthdays in the Borg, but celebration of wedding anniversaries are okay. In other words if two people reach a milestone in their life together, it's okay to celebrate. But if ONE person reaches a milestone in his/her life, then it's against Watchtower law to celebrate.

It's okay to bring attention ("creature worship", whatever), to two people, but not just to one.

Go figure.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Jw's can thank Judge Rutherford for this assinine interpretation of what the bible does not forbid.

In my familes photo album there are pictures of the Bethel family having a Christmas dinner, with all the decorations.

When the Judge stole the wtbs out from under the individuals Charles Taze had designated, he was very much aware of the almost worshipful attitude many Bible Students had for the 'Pastor'. It was his intent to eradicate all 'creature' worship from the org.

Of course this desire stemmed from the fact that he wanted this 'worship' for himself.

Once he convinced the Bible Students that he could 'use scripture' to back up all his assertions, the road was clear for what followed. Sheer dictatorship.

Knorr carried on the tradition, Franz only added a sense of mystery and prophetic apocalyptic fervor, to go along with all the 'core' beliefs (guesses, surmize, outright lies) voila! we have the modern day jw's devoid of the love and compassion for their own family member's milestones.......the day of birth. And many more silly rules and policies that all had their inception because of one man's desire for power.

Danny

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

coffee_black said: Just because something bad happened at 2 recorded birthday parties, does not mean that birthday parties are wrong.

Exactly, I told the sisters that those two sited examples they give are simply "examples of how NOT to have a birthday party".

I also told them that there has NEVER been a be-heading at one of the birthday parties I've thrown.

Lisa

• kls
    kls

They also celebrated Jesus birth.Did they not?

• mizpah
    mizpah

It is just another example of how the Watchtower tightened its control over its membership. Birthdays afford an opportunity of families coming together for a happy occasion. Of course, it also meant that Jehovah's Witnesses would be in association with non-believers...something the Watchtower tries to keep at a bare minimum. Over the years the Society eliminated all those occasions. The last that I recall was the proscription of Thanksgiving.

However, it is amusing to see how many JWs get around the rules. I've known those who had "special days" where even the exchange of gifts were made around this time of the dates of these celebration...but never on the same day. Also, I always had the feeling that JWs who had "unbelieving mates" enjoyed the excuse of partaking of the festivities in deference of their mates. They enjoyed the best part of both worlds.

• Nic
    Nic

I don't really have a reply to this except that it was my birthday last Tuesday and I had a party on saturday and then a party with my college friends in London on Tuesday. Had a great time. No there weren't any beheadings. And no I did not feel evil.

Obviously this is everybody's cue to send me happy birthday wishes!!

Nic

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Nic said: Obviously this is everybody's cue to send me happy birthday wishes!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!<----here's a clown for your birthday party

mizpah said: I've known those who had "special days" where even the exchange of gifts were made around this time of the dates of these celebration...but never on the same day.

Thats exactly what the sisters told me...that they have celebrations though out the year... yea, right...

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit