We are now 23 Years past Armageddon as the GB stated

by JohnTron7 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

The Awake magazine February 22, 1961 pages 5 to 8 had an article entitled, "The 20th Century In Bible Prophecy" which stated on three occasions that God’s kingdom will remove wickedness and cleanse the earth within the twentieth century.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Interesting. That magazine is from 1961. It doesn't surprise me to see them that confident when looking ahead.

I wonder if Franz was already working on his book (the one that referred to 1975). It was released around 1965 or 1966, wasn't it?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BALDEAGLE:

Thank you for showing this old Awake 1961 article which I never saw before.. Probably many on the forum have never seen this as it was way before their time!.. Yes, we are past the twentieth century and well into the twenty first.

Sadly, the congregations are now full of older people who made bad decisions based on the religion’s teachings of the ‘End’ being near. (‘Armageddon’ was coming so who needed to prepare for retirement??) I’m Glad I never listened to them..

This situation couldn’t have come at a worse time since the economy is in the pits.. It isn’t like the ‘70s when there were jobs aplenty in the country. Nope! these JWs threw it away with both hands - instead opting to be in the religion’s full time ministry!👎

I cannot imagine the feelings of panic and despair in congregations and I would not want to be around this!

• Magnum
    Magnum

baldeagle, thanks, I was not aware of that mag and am definitely saving that reference for future use.

Here's another that a lot of JWs and exJWs are not familiar with, but it's in black and white:

Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. - "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah" - How? page 261 (published 1971 (I think))

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Here’s another reference for this discussion:

1971 "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah"—How? Chapter 12 pg. 216

9 Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. The ancient "soil of Israel" pictures the realm in which Christendom has operated. (You can view this quote on the WT-Library CD)

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Yes, I just noticed Magnum has already posted that quote. I provided the page from the book & the cover of that "old light" publication from 1971.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Thanks, baldeagle. That 1971 book was obviously published after Everlasting Freedom of the Sons of God, which started the 1975 drum-beating. So that fits with the idea that the end would begin well before the end of the century.

Like the others said, I was not aware that they had made these statements in the 60s and early 70s. It seems as if they finally realized, entering the 1990s, that the end might not come before the year 2000 after all. This is the kind of stuff that the rank and file need to see more of, because it would make you question whether there is any reason to feel a sense of urgency today.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

I love the org pointing the finger at themselves on page 5:

"Would you stake your life on a weatherman's forecast for tomorrow? Then why trust in long range predictions made by humans?" 😂😂😂

• James Jack
    James Jack

I remember giving public talks in the 80’s and 90’s using the publications like what’s already been presented.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The WT Bor corporation was simply caught lying in their magazines and books.

Then they turn around and gaslight its victims for being impatient waiting for a never arriving Armageddon

Gaslighting its members for being impatient when it is clear as day the Borg were the ones drumming up their false hopes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit