Eight Days Vacation per Year

by Satanus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

How much vacation do you get per yr? According to this article, hard working americans get 8 days off.

Vacations are being downsized by the same forces that brought us soaring work weeks: labor cutbacks, a sense of false urgency created by tech tools, fear and, most of all, guilt. Managers use the climate of job insecurity to stall, cancel and abbreviate paid leave, while piling on guilt. The message, overt or implied, is that it would be a burden on the company to take all your vacation days -- or any. Employees get the hint: One out of five employees say they feel guilty taking their vacation, reports Expedia's survey. In a new poll of 700 companies by ComPsych Corp., a Chicago-based employee assistance provider, 56 percent of workers would be postponing vacations until business improved.
    Guilt works, because we are programmed to believe that only productivity and tasks have value in life, that free time is worthless, though it produces such trifles as family, friends, passions -- and actual living. But before the work ethic was hijacked by the overwork ethic, there was a consensus in this country that work was a means, not an end, to more important goals. In 1910, President William Howard Taft proposed a two- to three-month vacation for American workers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43409-2003Jul24.html?nav=hptoc_lol

I'm self employed, so i get as much time off as i want. I also don't get unemployment payments or any other benefits if i don't work. I guess there is a good side and a downside. Does your company give you enough time off? Is the article leftist?

SS

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I am self-employed also, so I take as many days as I want/need.

My husband works for a retailer. He gets 3 weeks. He is in management. All other employees get 2-5 weeks, on a sliding scale of senoirity/authority. He also has *personal* days. These can be used for doctor, car, whatever. Use them whole or in 1/4 or 1/2 blocks of the day.

Every job I have had, working for someone else, has had similar vacation policies to my husbands.

The larger the company, the more likely you are to get vacation and benefits. The smaller the company, the less likely.

Just my experience.

• Swan
    Swan

I work for local government in the computer field.

I only get 2 weeks. That's 10 working days. It accrues as 6.4 hours per month. I just had my 2 week vacation at the beginning of the month. I have been back at work for 2 weeks. Just 48 more weeks to go to my next vacation. <sigh>

Tammy

• Prisca
    Prisca

The standard in Australia for those working under state/federal awards is 4 weeks/year for everyone. Some awards may differ, so that some people get 3 weeks, whilst others get 5 weeks, but the usual is 4 weeks.

Generally you can take time off after being employed for 6 months, at your boss's discretion.

Sick leave is usually 3 weeks/year, payable after 3 months' employment.

In addition to that, we have about 8-10 public holidays a year. It's not called the Lucky Country for nothing!

• Scully
    Scully

I have a union contract with the hospital where I am employed.

According to the terms of the current contract, I am eligible for 4 weeks vacation per year. Once I have completed 14 years of service, I will be eligible for 5 weeks vacation per year. After 23 years of service (assuming I last that long LOL), I will be eligible for 6 weeks vacation per year.

(added by edit): For part-time employees like me, the contract requires that the hospital pay a certain percentage of my hourly rate in lieu of vacation time.

3 weeks = 6%
    4 weeks = 8%
    5 weeks = 10%
    6 weeks = 12%

It takes a bit of discipline and planning, but I manage to squirrel away enough so that I have a bit of a cash buffer that allows me to actually take a few weeks off throughout the year. As well, I can pretty much plan my four 12-hour shifts/pay period so that I have 7-10 days off on a regular basis.

I'm quite happy with the arrangement.

Love, Scully

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I wait tables so I can take time off from work whenever I want.

• Xena
    Xena

Ya'll suck

I work for a family owned importing company. I have been with them a year and 1/2 and I get one week...5 freaking days of vacation...which I already used

Since it is a smallish company (about 25 employees) and I handle pretty much all the accounting the guilt I feel when I try and take a vacation is HUGE...and my boss wants to know where I am going and how he can get hold if me if he needs me....I rarely take a lunch and I usually work overtime although I am on salary. But with the employment climate the way it is right now, whats a girl to do???

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I get 2 weeks paid vacation per year.

• Jayson
    Jayson

Self employed so I choose. I tend to not take vacations and have taken off 2 weekends in 8 years. I have been trying to take single days off a few times a month this year for fishing. It's a start.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I work at a college, so my time off is less than the faculty but more than most people.

3 weeks at Christmas (include Christmas and New Years)

Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, July 4, Labor Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day

1 week spring break (always in March)

The weeks at Christmas and Spring Break are not counted against my accumulated vacation.

I have been at my job almost 9 years, so I accumulate 8 hours per month, or 12 vacation days per year. We can roll any leftover only to the next year, then we have to take it by summer's end.

I earn 1 day of sick leave each month. I can use 3 sick days each year as personal leave.

Bereavement leave - up to 3 days for each family member (Unfortunately, I have had to use this form of leave twice in the last two years)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit