Evolution of a congregation 1978- 2018

by joey jojo 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Our whole congregation was excited as we stood in front of our brand new KH and smiled for the photographer from the local newspaper.

For years we had been travelling 30 mins each way to attend the meetings and now, after a big effort of donations and hard work we finally had our own KH in our own town.

In the picture, there were 45 smiling faces of all ages, from the newborn to the old brother that had turned 100 and everyone in between. The year was 1978.

The congregation grew and shrank over the years, probably hitting its peak during the 80's and 90's, there was even a renovation in the early 90's that the local brothers donated towards, for the benefit of the local town to hear the good news about the imminent arrival of the end. Some new families moved in, some moved out but overall the expectations were only good for the little congregation in rural Australia.

Then, around 2012, the C.O. told the brothers that their little hall was going to be sold and all the brothers would have to once again merge with the same congregation they used to merge with back in 1978, and drive the I hr return trip to attend the meetings. Some of the brothers were a little hurt and complained to the C.O. but he assured them that the money was to the worldwide work and it would help anyone that the ORG decided needed it.

As I look at the picture taken in 1978, I remember all the names and faces like it was yesterday, when I was only 6.

Of the original 45;

10 have passed away.

22 left the org.

Of the remaining 13, some are very old and the others are a part of the same family.

So there you have it- a brief snapshot of what is probably an average congregation. Over 40 years, only 13 people left out of 45 that were expecting the end to arrive long before now and gave their time and resources for no reward.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Then, around 2012, the C.O. told the brothers that their little hall was going to be sold ........ Some of the brothers were a little hurt and complained to the C.O. but he assured them that the money was to the worldwide work and it would help anyone that the ORG decided needed it.

It boggles my mind that after scrimping and saving for their own KH which should have belonged to them the Borg swoop in and steal it from them. Sheer daylight robbery!

Thanks for this story which highlights the evil of this cult.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks, very interesting account. Could be replicated many times, I suspect. I wish we had a database of KHs so we could chart the decline.

When the talk about KH consolidation was delivered a few months ago, a local elder joked at the end of the item that the local KH was going to be closed and we would attend a nearby town. At least the elder and the congregation took it as a joke. But I wonder if it will actually happen. At its peak the congregation had around 90 publishers in the 1980s. Now it’s about 45 and half of those are over 60. Ocassionally two children come, no teenagers, a couple of people in their 20s.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hey Joey, isn't it tragic that you & your old congregation's experience is now the rule for many - rather than the exception.

And it looks very likely that the same fate awaits the Kilbirnie congregation in Scotland.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5067568948707328/kingdom-hall-sale-new-light

The WTBTS is in seriously troubled waters - with no bridge in sight. (I feel a song coming on)

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

At its peak the congregation had around 90 publishers in the 1980s. Now it’s about 45 and half of those are over 60.

Where I am, there were 86 regular members in 1996, with average attendance of 95-100 for EVERY meeting; and that was three time per week. Now a short twenty-two years later average attendance is 30-35. Just yesterday I reflected on who is gone. Sixty-three names on paper from clear memory. C.O. gave the, "You need to go where you may be assigned, even if it isn't as convenient" spiel a few weeks ago. Already hearing the rumblings of a merger with another congregation that will mean a one hour round trip too.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The same story is happening everywhere!

Wash, rinse, repeat.

(Everybody sing:) “Wondrous expansion is NOT taking place!“

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''It boggles my mind that after scrimping and saving for their own KH which should have belonged to them the Borg swoop in and steal it from them. Sheer daylight robbery!

Thanks for this story which highlights the evil of this cult.''

It just boggles my mind how the rank and file don't ''wonder'' about this. Maybe they do, quietly, but they don't dare question or talk about it. They're too emotional invested in it all.

• Londo111
    Londo111

This is the future of every Kingdom Hall.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

might this be one of the 3,000 propertys that the watchtower is selling off.

3000 propertys thats like one a day for the next 8 years

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

how many congs have dribbled away to nothing around the globe? a huge fanfare, so called state of the art construction methods, (useless) "quick builds" ( that required huge amounts of rectification work because of the terrible workmanship, they never told you about that did they?)local press and TV taking an interest, they are nothing but a joke this day and age, no wonder the D2D work has all but finished, they are an embarrassment and I never let a chance go by to tell them so, the very KH that I was married to my young jw sweetheart has gone, merged, amalgamated , finished , a distant memory

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit