Meeting Days Felt Different?

by pale.emperor 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

As a kid I actually enjoyed the Revelation book because i'd spend the entire meeting flicking through the psychedelic pictures.

• Moster
    Moster

Pale - this is a post I really relate to.

Hadn't thought of it in years, but yes - the dreaded Thursday night meeting, Saturday morning FS, Sunday afternoon meeting, Monday night family book study and Tuesday night book study. That left Wednesday as the only free day. As a kid I seemed to have that cloud all the time. Even on the nights we weren't going to meetings or what have you we were expected to prepare for the watchtower by reading and underlining things. Not to mention school work 5 days a week.

I grew up missing out on organized sports, parties and just playing and having fun with the other kids. They are the worldly kids - don't play with them. So even when we had time off it was pretty lonely.

No wonder I have stress stomach issues now. Gosh it gives me grief to even think about it now after so long.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

and didnt you feel guilty if you missed a meeting !

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Freddo Said - "and you KNEW the seven trumpets of Revelation were NOTHING to do with CEDAR @%^#$ POINT OHIO CONVENTIONS!"

Oh, I feel your pain my friend, how many times did we get dragged through that rubbish? Was it Two or Three times??

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes meeting days felt different just like school days felt different and work days feel different and holidays feel different. It's all about perception.

But, meeting days for me always felt waaaay better once they were over and I could breath a sigh of relief. I would have pizza and and a glass of wine or a beer after the mid-week meetings and watch star trek next gen on tele. I would have a late brunch and listen to jazz after the sunday meetings etc you get the gist. Hey, anything to get by right.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Yes. That light feeling when I have the wrong day, thinking it is Wednesday. Then realizing, no! It's Thursday! Meeting night!

A feeling of dread exactly like the picture you posted P.E.

But now apparently I am a super hero and can fly away from the meetings. (I actually was looking for a Native American name and did not realize my avatar was a different Wakanda, ha! I better go see Black Panther now. ha ha. Me get smart some day...hopefully)

• Apostate Anonymous
    Apostate Anonymous

Pale,

This post really hits home for me. Just reading the first few lines caused me to have flashbacks to how I used to feel when it was "meeting" or "book study" night. The whole day did have this overwhelming feeling of gloom. I remember thinking to myself, "If this is the truth, then why does it invoke such overwhelming dread?"

• steve2
    steve2

John looked far, far into the future - nearly 2,000 years in fact. He saw a puny religious group that kept making mistakes in its predictions based on the Bible. In his generosity, he overlooked these. He had a brain wave: “I predict this religious group will hold a very important meeting in the year 1922 during which their president will declare the followers are to “Advertise, advertise, advertise the king and his kingdom.”

Proof reader Jehovah looked on and said to John, “Turn the whole prediction into a floridly symbolic prophecy and it’s a wrap!”

John obeyed. That prophecy remained a mystery until the latter half of the 21st century when Jehovah opened the eyes of understanding of his faithful slave in Brooklyn - and yet another prophecy involving this faithful slave was revealed.

If you believe this shit, you’ll believe anything. Millions do.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Pale,

i used to dread the Thursdays meetings...with kids. I'd start getting ready in the morning! Everything revolved around getting to that meeting. Same with Sunday and Saturday morning ministry.

Even when my family stopped going and up until last year, my whole Thursday would be geared to me going to the meeting and Saturday night I'd be getting ready for Sunday. I hated it. Now on Thursday, I check myself and say 'oh wow! I don't have to go anymore!' It's fabulous.

When I was a kid my poor dad would come home from a hard day at work, quickly change, get us all in the van and then we'd have to go and pick up several people for the meeting and after the meeting we were always last to leave. He usually ate his evening meal at about 11 a.m. He was always so stressed.

• zeb
    zeb

I am so thankful that I was for many years on shift work which precluded me and mine going to the damned kh.

"Bookstudy": and that was stopped in an awful hurry and the elders did not know why. Stories about paedophiles getting access to little ones in priv homes.. who knows.. Later the gb came out with some flaccid excuse about helping the bros save petrol costs.. Laugh! Like when did the gb ever care about peoples costs? Could any of them have a clue as to the cost of a running a vehicle outside the US where for so many years gas was the cheapest of many countries. Then the excuse was dumping the bookstudy was to allow people to have a 'family study night' what crap most folks were glad for a night off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit