I could really use some advice

by sandy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

My boyfriend and I broke up last night. We have been together 4 years. He has been my closest friend ever. My other friends and I have not kept in such close contact and I would hate to call them now just to cry on their shoulder. So I would appreciate your thoughts and any advice you may have to offer. We were on the phone from 9:30 to about 12:30 breaking up and he seemed like it didn't matter to him. That really hurt me. He was telling me it was hard for him that he really cares about me but it just seems like it is the best thing for now. He still wants to be my friend. We finally hung up and I was ok for a few minutes but I was just lying in bed unable to sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about everything. Then around 2 am called me and just said hello. We were quiet for awhile not saying anything. So I broke the silence and said I couldn't sleep. He said neither can I. He told me he doesn't want to break up with me. He is just too horny that he wants to sleep with other women. (it is ok to laugh) For some sick and strange reason this comforted me. I wish I could explain the relief that just overcame my entire body. We started talking about it and I could tell he was crying over it and when I asked him he admitted it. I felt a little better about it for some reason that comforted me. We hung up the phone agreeing to try to work things out. I fell asleep without any problem after that. But I woke up this morning feeling sad and confused. I know we have to break up. Too much was said to be ignored. He already told me he thinks he should experience other relationships and I know that he was being truthful. He is not sure if it is only about sex or not. And as much as it hurts there is only one way to find out. This is what I just emailed him. Does it sound like I am feeling sorry for myself and trying to make him feel guilty?

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi *******.

I am so sorry we have to go through this. I wish there was some way to make it easier. I really do understand that you think you should experience other relationships before you can really decide if I am the right person for you. It just hurts and it is hard to accept after all this time you and I shared.

I want you to be happy even if that means that we cannot be with each other now or in the future. You don't have to feel guilty about it. I think you know that underneath my irrational talk I am pretty practical and understanding.

It is not going to be easy for either one of us. I will wait for you but how long I do not know. I am scared to think of you spending time with someone else. But, it is a chance we both have to take. I do not want you to ever regret anything that has to do with me. And I don't want to live my life with you and always wonder in the back of my mind if you really want to be with me.

From this point on I want you to know that it is ok if you see other people. No I do not like it and it hurts but I know it is something you have to do.

I said I do not want to see or talk to you anymore but that is not entirely true. I know there will be times when I want to see you or talk to you, maybe too often. But there will also be times when I do not want anything to do with you. I hope you understand that.

I am sorry if what I am going to say next makes you feel guilty because that is not my intention it is just something I need to say.

What is really hard about this is that I let my guard down. I finally felt safe with you. The past couple of years I let myself think that nothing could ever break us up. That no matter what you would never leave me. I know it is not your fault and you are just going through natural feelings. Most people do. I know deep down we will both get through this no matter what the end result is. So do not feel bad.

This may not be a once and for all break up. We might be an on again off again thing for a while or until we get it right. And by "Right" I mean a break up for good or us staying together.

Well, I guess the bottom line is "We'll see what happens."

About this weekend, I do want to spend some of it with you. Friday I guess since I already told Vincent I would pick him up. After that I guess we should just take it one day at a time.

You tell me you don't know what you want but you do. You know that you do not want me because if you did that would be clear to you. So maybe you will change your mind later I do not know.

I am sure there will be a lot of things I will say to you that I do not really mean. Please try to understand that that is just my emotions talking and getting the better of me.

Do not feel obligated to call me tonight or in the future. I will call you if I need to talk and you can do the same.

I will take Vincent to your house tomorrow and maybe you and I could just hang out. Feel free to make other plans though.

Love,

Sandy

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

is it possible that you two could go to a relationship counselor togther?

I mean even if you can't get back together a counselor might be able to help you both make the transition.

I understand your loss because my husband is my best friend and if I had to never have sex with him again, I could take it if we were still friends. I value his friendship more than anything else.

Ravyn

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, your letter is not that bad. Wild horses couldn't drag out MY goodby letters for public inspection. Mine were clingy, weepy, sappy, and absolutely dripping with female hormones. No doubt those letters helped convince those guys to run, run, run as fast as they could.

No magic recipe will make the pain disappear. If you grieve for a while, it means you had something special with this fella. If you cry, it means you are normal. If, for a while, you think about him every day, it means you are absolutely dripping with female hormones. If you let him back in to your life, knowing he has a wandering eye, you are a fool.

After you get over him, take a look around. I bet there are some great guys out there. Hmmm. I wonder if run don't walk is single? ...and there is always www.jwmatch.com .

• Gadget
    Gadget

(((Sandy)))

4 years ago I had a similar sort of thing when I got divorced. It still hurts now. The biggest thing I needed was closure. I spent quite a while waiting, wanting to know whst was going on, but I couldn't get on with getting my life sorted out until I knew for definite what the end result was going to be. It just extended the hurt process for me. I can understand him wanting time on his own, but personally, if anyone went with somebody else when we were on a break like this I wouldn't take them back. I would just keep thinking 'are they going to do it again'.

I made sure I kept myself busy, didn't play any music, and took myself off camping for a few days to get some thinking of my own done.

I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Gadget

• sandy
    sandy

Maybe a relationship counselor would help. I really do not know if he would be willing.

He is 25 and I am 27. I am his first girlfriend. We met when he was 21. He has been with other girls but never a relationship past 2 months. He said he thinks he should have more relationship experience.

I had other relationships but nothing like him and I. I am close to him and his family. We do everything together. We have so much fun together. I cannot fully understand how he can give everything up.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I don't want to be a reality hound, but I've been through these uncharted waters before. He wants you to wait around while he sexes around, is all it amounts to. I'd love to be all lovey dovery and romantic about it, but all it amounts to is using you as a backup and a booty call. He'd like you to believe that he's being all philosophical and shit.. and trying to figure out which "way" is right for him.. and that's all well and good, but really it's just an excuse to lose you for the short term and turn on the booty calls, while you wait in the sidelines PINING AWAY for his love. I say pine AWAY, and lose him. When a man truly loves you he'll be with you through thick and thin and won't try to LOSE you. YOu *are* his one and only booty call, night and day!.. and no other woman will take his time away from YOU, girlfriend.

CG

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Guy's perspective here:

He is just too horny that he wants to sleep with other women.

If he starts up a relationship within the next week, I'd say you've been snookered.

And if it's not the case, and you decide to get together, how will you ever know if this feeling won't come up again, even after marriage. Let him go and sow his oats. His loss .

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

All the advice up until now is.....well sad but true. You need to move on.

I recently heard of something called speed dating. Its where a bunch of men and women go and they talk to each other for like five minutes a piece or so and later after its all over you get an email from those who would like to talk to you again. I heard Its safe and a great way to meet new people.

I know right now its hard, but don't wait around for him. Get out and meet people. There are plenty of guys (contrary to rumour) out there. I have read your posts you are bright, witty, and well rounded. I know that theres a guy right now dying to meet you. Please, please don't be anybodys fool. Kick his ass to the curb!

Merc'

• lawrence
    lawrence

Sandy-

I had the same thoughts as XJW_B12, which he mentioned, when I read your post. I think the idea of a counselor is a wise one, especially if you believe that there is the possibility this will bounce together, apart, and together again. It's always good to put everything out into the Cosmos with a non-partial facilitator present. Those words said (both of yours) are heard loud and clear long after the visit(s).

peace and blessings,

lawrence

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks everyone.

I am so angry right now! I appreciate your advice. But I cannot imagine seeing anybody else.

I cannot even concentrate here at work. All I want to do is go home and cry myself to sleep.

Do you think his excuse of being too young when we met is valid. Part of me does and expected this to happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit