Some People Stay Witnesses Because They Don't Want To Think For Themselves

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, True Believer says the same thing.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I'm going to have to get that book has well as Hassan's. btw, my wife started reading Franz other book last night.

• gumby
    gumby
    I think also a large number of people have been raised with the idea that they are stupid and are incapable of making their own decisions, and those people automatically seek out others to make decisions for them.

Nina,

You have become quite the einstein especially lately.

As was stated above, the dubs and others similar to them, are attracted to faiths that will lead them in thought and action, as they do not feel qualified themselves to make those types of decisions.

There are other though who were thinkers before becoming dubs and are leaders. These types come in for other reasons, along with those mentioned in many cases.

Gumby

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

more like they are afraid to. Why I don't know, but they just are.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Fear of thinking for oneself is a quite common trait in all relgious societies. However, in mind control cults-like the WTBS-it is imperative. The members are told through one side of the mouth to "examine all things" but then are smacked back into the inactive mindset as soon as they look outside to any nonWTBS resource or not currently approved but still WTBS. Well, actually, let me clarify. They are only smacked if they think "out loud." This conditions them to believe they are thinking for themselves, when in fact they are barely thinking. This describes my mother to a T. My mother is incredibly brilliant, and very well educated. At the time of her indoctrination, she had just had her second child and was struggling with the notion of setting aside her profession to be at home with her children. The introduction of WTBS programming allowed the decision to be made elsewhere, and with that went the RESPONSIBILITY for the consequences of her decisions. It was, and still is a nice safe place for people to be, not having to be responsible for the consequences of their thoughts, decisions or actions. It is impossible to have a truly close, intimate relationship with someone who deep down does not think for themselves, nor bears responsibility for their actions. And this hurts me more than anything else about the dubs. My mother gets to know me truly-and to have my unconditional love- and I will never get to know her truly, or know whether how she treats me (which is "nice" and "warm" and "loving") is because of who she truly is, and a freely given unconditional love for me, or because that is how she believes she is supposed to treat me. I began suspecting she was following some sort of script at age 3 or 4. 30 years later, I still don't know. This one brings me to tears, because our thoughts are so directly bound with our existence (I think therefore I am). Shoshana

• Maverick
    Maverick

I wish it was that easy Minimus, but there are all kinds of people in the borg and some are very smart and creative. I am a member of Mensa, Mathematics Association of America and a number of construction and building associations and have a BA in Graphic Design, and I was 24 when I joined the borg! My flaw? I am an idealist and wanted to believe that a group of people had all the answers and that God was directing them. I closed my eyes to all the crap that went on for almost 24 years! I did not want to know all the bad things going on in the Hall and hated being an Elder. I wanted to think only good things about all the other members. As a dreamer I lied to myself, and refused to see the borg for what it was! I see now that many are lazy and weak in the head, and many are controlling, petty, insecure losers who would have no power without the borg. But some, (like me) liked the tune they were playing and never looked TOO close, lest we see it was a lie! I know is does not answer your literal statement, but I believe this is in line with the type of responses you look for based on your "many" previous posts. Maverick

• gumby
    gumby
    It is impossible to have a truly close, intimate relationship with someone who deep down does not think for themselves, nor bears responsibility for their actions. And this hurts me more than anything else about the dubs

Nice post Lacapra.......I enjoyed what you said!

I find this piece missing in my relationship with my wife. We cannot discuss the things that are the most important to us, that being spirituality and what it has done to our family. She is able to have her own opinion but that opinion cannot be shared with me especially if that opinion is contrary to the Organisation. She cannot risk leading me on nor anyone getting wind of any ideas of hers that might be negative against the dubs. That barrier is the missing piece.

Gumby

• garybuss
    garybuss

A crazy person was admitted to the state hospital believing he was a
    Martian with green blood. He was assigned to a psychiatrist who tried to
    convince him that he was human with red blood. All his efforts failed,
    finally in desperation he pulled his scalpel out of his pocked and made a
    small incision. As the crazy person looks at the red blood he exclaims
    "Wow I didn't know Martians had red blood."

Moral of the story:

A person who clings to his beliefs will not discard or change them, he will
    just modify them to fit his old beliefs.

Victor Escalante Sept 11, 1998

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What's happening, Mini? There's no question mark!!!!

I know what you mean, though, and it can be really frustrating when talking with dubs who have eyes only half open. There's one poster here, (he knows who I mean), who can recount all the negatives about the borg, yet still says "Where else have we to go?" as if it's a mantra. There's none so blind as those who will not see.

BTW, the borg misrepresents the text for it was "Who have we to go away to?" but so many of the R&F remain oblivious to that.

As I've commented before, 'We believe because we want to believe' or 'We believe in what we want to believe'. That's true of many of the multitude of the R&F.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Pyrohectic
    Pyrohectic

[quote]Some People Stay Witnesses Because They Don't Want To Think For Themselves[/quote] Yes. It's just that simple. *blink, blink*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit