Some People Stay Witnesses Because They Don't Want To Think For Themselves

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

I couldn't agree more with cat1759, I felt like I was on a never ending treadmill as a witness. I was exhausted in every way. Sometimes I felt like a trapped worker ant. When I first started having doubts about the 'truth' an elder told me to pray for the doubts to go away and keep busy! Service! Personal study! 5 freakin' meetings a week! I had no time to think for myself 'cause I was too busy trying to think the way the GB wanted me to think. A college professor told me that if I wanted to remain a JW go right ahead but I'd have to get a lobotomy! I'm not a follower, some people are. There is a comfort having someone dictate your life, that way if things go wrong, you're not to blame, Satan, the world, apostates - everyone else is to blame but you. The GB doesn't take responsibility for ruining lives so why should JW's take responsibility for the state of their own life? I think if most JW's knew that they belonged to just another man made religion, that it's not the truth, most wouldn't want to know. - Victorian Sky

• anglise
    anglise

Hi all

I think it is a mixture of all these things plus a lot of the time emotional blackmail.

I know a lot who are in but dont really understand the talks and doctrines etc and only do token FS.

They go because it is easier than the consequences of exiting with the loss of family and friends.

The very sad and dangerous with this situation is the blood issue, so of course these ignorant JW's would DIE for the org but they dont really LIVE for it.

Anglise

• minimus
    minimus

"Keep busy!".....That's one way to not think about everything in life. You're tired? Do more and you'll sleep due to being exhausted. You're sick? Missing a meeting or service won't stop you from still being sick. You're upset because you were molested? Don't take it out on Jehovah. Get busier and you won't have time to think about it.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Biilygoat,

I certainly respect your point of view, however I will stand by my original statement. I do believe that most people, can and do choose what they want to do. Certainly, many witnesses enjoy having someone else make the decisions for them. As long as they follow them, then they are accepted, and that takes care of their needs.

But, I think some are so engrained by the teachings, been doing it for so long, the mere idea of doing something on their own is so foreign to them. They turn to the elders for the most mundane things to get advice, and literally cannot make a decision on their own. I do think that some just cannot make a decision on their own.

• minimus
    minimus

Freedom, such ones like having to make no decisions. If they don't have to think, they can drive on autopilot. Sadly, the vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses are non-thinkers.

• yxl1
    yxl1

True, Some people stay witnesses because they dont want to think for themselves. But before slamming them all as braindead zombies, wouldnt it be fair to mention that some stay witnesses because they believe in it 100%? Some stay out of fear, some out of peer presure. Some out of habit, some out of laziness. Some stay because of a loved one, some stay for friendship. Some stay for their own personal power trips, and some because they would have nothing else in their lives. I could (do) go on.

Just a thought

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think a lot of it has to do with people not wanting to be responsible for their actions.

Example: "Jehover says I'm supposed to do this, that or the other...."
    Result:
    All sorts of bad things happen, but the person says that it is not their fault as they are only doing Jehover's will. (i.e. two witness rule and child molestation)

Example: "Jehover says that we should not accept vaccines, organ transplants, or blood transfusions...."
    Result:People die. Then they rationalize that they were only doing Jehover's will and the dead will be resurrected in the new world... basically denying all responsibility for any actions they may have taken or NOT taken. (They forget that Jesus said that he wants mercy, not sacrifice)

• minimus
    minimus

I agree with you and therefore conclude that most Witnesses are lazy non-thinkers. Even most of the ones that critically think, surpress their thoughts and stop themselves from actively investigating the truth about the "truth".

• DIM
    DIM

I believe this to be the case with an old friend that used to post here. She saw that it wasn't the truth, but thought it was too hard to make a stand. Oh well. Her loss. I'd rather be free.

• minimus
    minimus

I do think that not everyone is ready to make huge adjustments in their life even if they know that they should. Everyday, non-JW's live with spouses that they could leave but for whatever reasons, do not. People hold onto jobs that are truly unfulfilling yet they stay on for years, just wasting their time wishing. Millions of people refuse to see a doctor because they're afraid to deal with a possible malady. But there comes a time when we HAVE to think about what we're doing (or not doing).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit