How many of you went to the elders when you / someone did something wrong ?

by run dont walk 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• berylblue
    berylblue

The cigarette wasn't cold in the ashtray when I called an elder.

Rosemarie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Did I have to confess anything? , Yes although relatively minor in retrospect, but I was a consciencious dub.

The point is that we really believed it. Really believed that God was in charge of it all , that the spirit would show things up and that to cover up a sin was an act of hypocracy.

When I was an elder , I think nearly all the judicial cases came from confessions, so I was not out of step with the others

• hippikon
    hippikon

In my early days yes - And as soon as the elders got involved (over a minor issue) things got much much worse - never again did I dob myself in.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Is it just me, or do all the witnesses running to confess all the time remind you of Ned Flanders?

Gadget

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    we really believed it. Really believed that God was in charge of it all , that the spirit would show things up and that to cover up a sin was an act of hypocracy.

Yup....born and raised brainwashed a dub.....fully trained programmed....to confess my sins....

ESTEE

• garybuss
    garybuss

Elders meet Scriptural requirements before being 'appointed by holy spirit.' Knowing this will strengthen your confidence in them. What you discuss with an elder will remain strictly confidential. Being trustworthy is one of his qualifications.
    (The Watchtower, March 1, 1997, p. 28)

"Note: Reports have been received where elders have revealed confidential matters to their wives or others in the congregation."
    (Pay Attention 1977 p.65)

"Sadly, in recent times it has been necessary to disfellowship tens of thousands of unrepentant wrongdoers each year. Prominent elders have been included among them."
    (Proclaimers, WTBTS 1993, p. 187)

I have posted this elsewhere but some of us think it merits sober reflection. Thanks for the thread. Very good comments. GaryB

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I didn't have to confess to anybody -- my dad was an elder and he and Mom made CERTAIN I did nothing wrong . . . or interesting, or fun, or [*sigh*] . . . well, you get the picture!

Well I seem to remember at least two or three times that you had a VERY good time with me Love Cup. If memory serves you had a far better time than I.

I believed what the Witnesses taught with my whole heart. But I wasn't stupid, and neither was Nina. There was no way on God's green earth I would ever confess anything at any time to an elder.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Mmmmm, yes, I do remember! Guess I just didn't think of it as being all that wrong, 'cause it felt so good!

Nina

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oh My!!!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh yeah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit