Were you baptized too young?

by sandy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• KenUK
    KenUK

Age 15 - September 1975 - 1 month before 6,000 years were up - insurance policy you understand - still waiting for it to pay up...

• SisterLiz
    SisterLiz

Thanks for the grand welcome Gopher. It actually feels good to be able to speak about this with people who understand, and know what it's like to go through this hell. It took a while after I left to get all that brainwashing out of my system. Believe it or not, it took me a while to accept that yes, I'm actually going to die one day. I grew up believing I would survive armageddon. What a lie, what deception....and all those fools who actually believe this. I wish there was some way of exposing them for the scum they are.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I wish there was some way of exposing them for the scum they are.

Hey sisterliz, they ARE being exposed here and on other Internet sites, and on TV shows like Dateline NBC last year, and in multiple books by ex-JW's.

Of course the good loyal J-dubs will let all the facts run off their back like water off a duck. But some who start to see through it (or who are investigating JW's for the first time) are properly informed and inoculated due to the abundance of ACTUAL truth available these days on the "information superhighway".

And there is NOTHING the Watchtower Society can do to stop the flow of information. They can only try to frighten their people away from it.

So the growth of the JW movement is now screeching to a halt!!

• pamkw
    pamkw

I was 13, it was 1975 and my mom knew I was going to die. I was never asked if this was what I wanted an old, old elder told my mom I had to be. I was too old to live through the Big A because of her. I was way to young. I never knew once you were baptized, then you were an adult, and could not make honest kid like mistakes. Biggest mistake of my life. I remember going through the questions and having no clue what we were talking about. I just read the answeres out of the book.

Pam

• pamkw
    pamkw

Welcome Liz.

Wow, the coming to terms with dieing someday. Yep, that was a big one for me. And when my grandmother died in 1996, it was so hard. I grew up believing that she would never die. That I would have her with me always. I wasn't going to meetings then but I was still thinking like a jw. I think her death was one of the things that got me thinking.

Pam

• TheItalian
    TheItalian

Welcome SisterLiz.

Gamaliel, you beat me for a year: I was watered at 11.

Fully aware: thus I said to myself "but I have to know better", and been doing that thought for more than fifteen years.

Then found these smart people (apart from JCanon and SwordofJah) - thanks to Simon and everyone else.

• RoadDoctor
    RoadDoctor

I got dunked at age 14. I only did it because all of my other friends were taking the plunge, and I didnt want them to "one-up" me. Another reason was when you got baptized, you were allowed privileges. I got to do the microphones, work the sound system etc, it kept me awake during the meetings. Always an ulterior motive.

• smurfette
    smurfette

I got baptized the summer between 7th & 8th grade. I thought they would catch my lack of faith when I did the pre baptism study with the elders thing and when they didn't to my suprise and horror I just went with the flow. My brother at 16 was bribed by my mom to get baptized with the promise of being the man of the house. (single parent) After his baptism there were only short prayers before meals, mom read the text with a napkin on her head, and we went to the no more family watchtower study / study on your own plan.

• D8TA
    D8TA

13 years old, and out by 15. WOOHOO!

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Definitely! I was 14 and I got baptized because it was expected and besides I wanted to go to Ireland to the DC with my oldest brother so I got baptized at the CA in the spring. I was 14, the year was 1975 and Armageddon was coming later that year as everyone reminded me at school.

I remember going through the questions with the PO. One was had I made a dedication to Jehovah. I said: " er, yes". I guess I always thought I was dedicated and that getting dunked was something you did as you grew up. I made sure I was by that night!

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit