Were you baptized too young?

by sandy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

2 Peter 2 22 There has befallen them the thing spoken of in the true proverb, The dog turns back to his own vomit, and, The sow is washed only to wallow again in the mire.

I remember when I was going over my baptismal questions the elder spouted off this scripture to me.

Looking back at it I wonder how could he be such a moron! I was only 13 years old!! What the hell kind of bad behavior did I have to turn back to?

I was definitely baptized too young. This is a mistake that many kids make mostly due to the pressure their family puts on them.

I tried to warn my 18 year-old niece back in January of this year not to do it but she went a head with it anyways. And now she decided to have a non-jw boyfriend despite the reproof she is facing from the elders.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I was baptized at 12! This was way to young to know exactly what the hell I was doing! I did it just to go with the flow...

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was baptized at 16, which is too young -- but STILL was older than most of my young JW peers!

They say that Christian baptism is the MOST important commitment (or dedication, or promise.... whatever) you will make in your lifetime. And that marriage (if you do it) is your second most important commitment.

So why do they say wait until you are past the "bloom of youth" to do the marriage thing, but they try to rush you into JW baptism while you're still in middle school?

Ass-backwards.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Like SpunkyChick (not sure what the name implies ), I was dipped in the water at age 12. Of course that age is way too young, but if the JW's waited untill kids were old enough to figure out their BS, then their baptism numbers would be extremely low (if only I had waited another 6 years ).

• northern girl
    northern girl

I was 14 when I was baptized and for me it was too young. My sister was baptized at 14 and she was ready. It is a personal thing and no age is right for everyone.

In those days my mother thought it would be a protection for me of sorts. Of course that thinking is wrong, but it was a different era.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

"In those days my mother thought it would be a protection for me of sorts. Of course that thinking is wrong, but it was a different era."

I was always told that If I was not babtized, I would not be protected during armageddon. I would have no chance for survival. This is still the a jw belief

• blondie
    blondie

The JWs still think it is a protection if young ones get baptized young. No JW parent knows the "age of accountability" when a child becomes responsible before God for their actions and are no longer protected by their parent(s) good name with God. If Armageddon comes and their child is "accountable" and not baptized, they will be toast. Two girls were baptized in the Chicago area this year that were only 6 and 8 and one was 10 in a neighboring state. The last circuit assembly I went to was this year and a 9 year old girl was baptized.

Blondie (16)

• onacruse
    onacruse

10---but I was a rocket scientist at 4, so I knew exactly what I was doing. LOL

Craig

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I was about 19 when I got baptised but as far as I am concerned any age is too young.

Will

• talesin
    talesin

i was 14, it was more a 'rite of passage' than a spiritual commitment. that's just what they taught us and it seems very surreal to me now. such a heavy burden to be placed on children ......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit