Blood Issue.......something for thought, where is the logic.

by CovertsadJW 36 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Millie:

So what is it about "polymerizing" that makes the red blood cell no longer intact?

I am trying to understand how the Org justifies and reasons on this.

Never mind the polymerizing, how does the Org justify that the blood (from cows and humans) has been stored and then processed? What about the scripture that says that blood is to be poured on the ground?

That is the part I can't wrap my head around.

The Org prohibits the storage of a person's own blood based on that notion, yet they will approve human blood that has been stored, and animal blood that has been stored.

Like I said, the blood ban is ridiculous. It isn't a ban based on scripture at all.

• millie210
    millie210
    OrphanCrow
    The WT's HIS direct JW patients into clinical trials for blood substitutes. And, when the trials are halted, and that blood product is sitting in "unapproved" status, the JWs come in handy in keeping that product in production as a "compassionate use" drug. "Refusal of blood for religious reasons" is the catch phrase that keeps Hemopure on the market. The JW patient is quite valuable to the companies that develop blood alternatives.
    JWs have been guinea pigs for products such as Fluosol-Da and Hemopure, etc
    By the way, did you know that Hemopure is basically the same as Oxygent, the blood substitute that has been approved for veterinarian use? The JW patient gets blood that is used for dogs. The JW patient is the next step up from animal testing.

That is a very powerful (and disgusting) point coming from the organization who calls itself so clean and pure isnt it?

Thank you for sharing that. I can use that with my family.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Where is the logic in that?

Logic and rational reasoning aren't expressive virtues of the leaders of the WTS, never have been really , their blood doctrine is a good example of that.

• blondie
    blondie

Try looking at this ex-jw blood site, www.ajwrb.com and comments by Lee Elder.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    So.....bovine hemoglobin is okay? , but human is not ? Where is the logic in that?

Especially as they've been told to allow a pet of theirs to have a blood transfusion would be unscriptural...so apparently the blood ban applies to animals and animal blood, too.

• steve2
    steve2

Factor X, a product derived from the blood of multiple donors and saving the lives of patients with haemophilia, is permitted in JW-land.

So, yes, another hypocritical instance of blood not being poured out but stored and then some of its derivatives deemed okay by the men in New York and left up to consciences.

• TD
    TD

millie210

So what is it about "polymerizing" that makes the red blood cell no longer intact?

Hemoglobin is normally encapsulated inside red blood cells.

Outside of that protective membrane, free hemoglobin is toxic as it will break down, causing catastrophic renal failure

Polymerization was simply a way to stabilize the hemoglobin molecule outside of a red blood cell.

As O.C. said above, the reasoning for why this was allowed makes no sense at all.

The JW parent organization probably thought blood substitutes would be a way out of this mess without having to admit they were wrong.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

*correction to earlier post - the veterinary product that is used on dogs, and is produced by the same company that makes Hemopure, is called Oxyglobin, not Oxygent

Another thing about Hemopure...the development and testing of the product is financed by the US Navy.

From the above link:

Under its research agreement with Biopure, the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) has primary responsibility for designing, seeking Food and Drug Administration (FDA) acceptance of and conducting a proposed Phase 2/3 clinical trial of Hemopure in trauma patients with severe hemorrhagic shock in the out-of-hospital setting. Entitled "Restore Effective Survival in Shock (RESUS)," this trial represents a unique collaboration between scientists and clinicians from the military, academic hospitals, a nonprofit organization and Biopure under the direction of the NMRC.

Who do you think is the "nonprofit organization" that collaborates with the military and Biopure?

Any use of Hemopure by JWs is arranged by the WT's HLC and they acquire consent from the FDA through their cooperation with the US Navy. It's the only way that Hemopure can be accessed.

Hemopure has had a LOT of problems over the course of its development and getting approval from the FDA to run trials is only one of them. The US Navy has been frustrated at several turns trying to get Hemopure approved and have been turned down in their attempts to design a trial that uses JW patients (see an earlier thread about this...someplace on this forum).

I don't think it is too difficult to guess who the patients are in this quote:

One of the internal report’s co-authors told The Globe that the FDA’s safety concerns aren’t valid, because the patients tested with Hemopure in the proposed trial would likely die anyway.

That is an expression that has been repeated many times when dealing with JW patients who refuse blood - "the patient will die anyway".

Dying JW patients are valuable to the US Navy.*

*JWs make for an excellent control group for the US Navy. They don't smoke and they don't serve in the military. Nice clean sample to use.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks OC - your investigation into and knowledge of Hemopure is an invaluable contribution to this discussion - a topic that is not often heard in ex-JW circles.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You are welcome, Steve.

a topic that is not often heard in ex-JW circles

I don't know why it isn't heard more often.

How much more can it be in a person's face that the Org/WTS has lied about the "blood ban"? Not only is the Hemopure "approval" in direct contradiction to the scriptural basis for the ban, but it isn't too difficult to unearth the connection between Hemopure and the US military (and don't forget about STORMACT).

The Org/WTS prohibits a JW from wearing a military uniform, but the Org itself (through the Hospital Information Services and their HLC squad) arranges for a JW to wear a hospital gown in "service to their country".

I don't get it. How did this happen? Why is it okay for the WTS to collaborate with the military when it comes to blood, but JWs go to jail when they refuse to serve? Do JWs who die after getting a transfusion of cow's blood, get taken to the morgue with an American flag draped over them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit