Is The WTS A Masonic Organization?

by Latin assassin from Manhattan 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cat1759
    cat1759

I would be really interested to find the facts that prove otherwise.

This is where I have been heading in my research.

It would be nice if the older ones could give some insight to this.

Wouldn't it be right to assume that if this were proclaimed as true that the organization was steeped in pagan beliefs when it started and that they are hiding more than they are willing to declare?

Maybe that is why JWS are not allowed to read anything that does not fit the mold. Just the literature and their version on the bible.

If people were searching and questioning then they would find out the answers of the original origins.

Cathy

• mizpah
    mizpah

William Penwell:

The symbol of the cross and crown was used extensively by many religious organizations of that era. It still is used by some today. So, it was not an exclusive symbol used by Masons only. It is not surprising that Russell used it on his publications. The Bible Students had not yet rejected many of the trappings of other religions. The holidays were still celebrated including Christmas even at Bethel right up until the early 1920s. It was Rutherford who rejected these things and forced his views upon the organization.

There was a strong anti-Mason movement in this country after the Civil War. As I recall, there were rumors of a kidnapping and possible murder that caused a severe reaction toward this group. There were even anti-Mason political parties that were formed at the time. All these events would have been close to the time that Russell formed his Watchtower organization. But I've seen no evidence that Russell himself was a Mason or was influenced by that organization.

• thetruthaboutjws
    thetruthaboutjws

actualy i have heard and believe in a different theory. the fact that the are free masons may not be true but i do believe they are part of a much more secret spawn of fremasonry called the illuminatie. look it up. you won't find much as it is a secret society. but you can find some info. there is a book called the armagedon cult by danial hall. this book adresses that theorie. (excuse my spelling)

• mizpah
    mizpah

Thetruthaboutjws: If my memory serves me right, there was a group in Germany in the 18th century that called themselves the "Illuminati." Also, there was a religous group in Spain in the 16th century that called themselves by the same. The name came to be loosely associated with freethinkers and radicals including the Freemasons. There probably are still groups that identify themselves by "Illuminati" today. I'm sure there is more information on them available on line.

• willy_think
    willy_think

Charles Taze Russell is buried in a Masons only graveyard.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ya threw me for a sec,

I thought you were asking "Is the WTS a MORONIC Organization?" That would have been MUCH easier to answer.

• mizpah
    mizpah

willy-think:

Where did you hear or read this? Can you confirm this to be true? Often rumors make claims that prove to be untrue.

I know pictures of Russell's gravesite was on another site...but I can't recall which one. It probably would give you the cemetery name. But I don't recall anything being said that it was a graveyard exclusively for Masons.

• jwsons
  • link
    link

mizpah,

I would like to congratulate you on being one of the most sensible and rational voices on this board in some time.

Russell is not buried in a Masons only graveyard. He did not design his own tomb or the trappings associated with it so does not know (or care) if it has Masonic connections. As you rightly point out, Masons do not have exclusive rights to the emblems they use. Because some of them have Biblical connections they are used by a variety of people in many different ways.

Try as I might I cannot obtain categorical confirmation from Masonic records that C.T. Russell was a Freemason although some evidence exists that his father might have been.

link

• cat1759
    cat1759

Ok, would like the information as I would like to see it in black and white to confirm or disprove this theory.

Should I call the graveyard and ask if i can get a plot in this site to see if it will let me be buried there.

Hey good enough for Russel good enough for me.

It is interesting that the symbol was used in the printing.

Websites only offer so much.

Cathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit