JW's & alternative medicine

by slipnslidemaster 68 Replies latest jw friends

• esther
    esther

Alternative medicine often works. The medical establishment doesn't know everything. I had a doctor who approved of some natural therapy. There are less side effects from natural therapy, and regular medicine can be dangerous. If the alternative therapy is not harmful, why not use it. Of course, you need to check the safety first

• larc
    larc

Mulan,

Another trivial answer regarding statistics and their use. The proper use of statistics is to arrive at truthful information. The purpose is not to lie, as is implyed by the quote you used which has become a common cliche these days. Now, most mistakes with statistics is not due to the overt desire to lie or mislead, but rather it is due to the ignorance of not understanding what the statistical parameters are and how to interprete statistical results.

If you have an alternative hypothesis to explain the differential approaches in medicine in China and the U.S. and the average differences in life span, then please provide it.

By the way, the average infant mortality in China is 38 per thousand. In the U.S. it is 9 per thousand. That difference would account for an average difference of 1.3 years of the 5 year difference in life span. still a lot left to be accounted for. Now, if they have this ancient medical wisdom, why do more of their babies die?

Why did the average life span in China go up by 12 years, from 1970 to 1992, if ancient wisdom is better than modern technology?

• larc
    larc

mulan,

You said, "You must remember when calculating averages", etc. There are other measures of central tendency that can be used besides the average, when a data distribution is skewed. These other measures put the data in proper perspective. Why don't you tell me what these measures are?

• rob
    rob

Oh, I've got to jump in on this one! I manage the largest, most successful health food store in our area. I must agree with RHW that we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. I always encourage a balanced approach to health care. I work in conjunction with several support groups that are affiliated with our local hospital. I do think that Witnesses are inclined to fall for any get rich quick pyramid schemes, including the vitamin oriented ones for the very reasons mentioned by one of my co-forumers above. Gullibilaty and lack of education. I just belive that it is so important to educate ourselves about our health and our bodies, most people know more about their automobiles.

• larc
    larc

I'm back,

Rob, I was not attacking the idea of good nutrients in our diet. I am opposed to the idea that some distant land or romantic culture somehow has more wisdom than we do. Certainly, every cuture may have foods that are good for us. It does not mean that everything they have, or all of their claims are valid. Remember, the American Indians gave us corn, potatoes, and maple syrup. However, they also gave us tobacco.

• rob
    rob

Oh, I very much agree, larc. I just meant that I try to achieve a balance and not go to far either way in terms of health care. In terms of natural or allopathic medicine, I try to take the wisdom from each culture and glean out the rest.

• larc
    larc

Rob,

I forgot to mention. My daughter bought a health food store a year ago. She had many years of experience before buying the store, and is very knowledgeable. She is also very pleasant and relates well to her customers. Even so, she was on a "learning curve" this first year, but made it through very successfuly.... I am very proud of her.

• rob
    rob

larc, I beg your pardon,I had forgotten that the lovely Zazzu and I had discussed that a couple of months ago.

Here is something that does get my goat-- in my area it seems the local JWs are of the attitude that it's okay to let your health go to hell because you will be made all shiny and new in the New System. They ten to be grossly overweight, over drink and just generally avoid taking care of themselves. Does this attitude seem to show a lack of appreciation for the gift of life?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi running man,
    Well stated!! Extraordinary claims should be backed by extraordinary evidence regarding alternative(complimentary) treatments,regards,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

It is my understanding that Asian medicine was considerably better then Western medicine for a certain period of time. They concentrated on mapping out the body and responses to outside stimuli for thousands of years without actually cutting open the bodys. When Western medicine started opening bodys and using the advances in technology to explore the body then they overtook the Asians in medicine.

It is my personal opinion that a melding of Asian and Western medical techniques needs to happen to get a more balanced healthcare picture.

Slipnslideius Masterus: ... Strength and Honor ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit