JW's & alternative medicine

by slipnslidemaster 68 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I'm with Venice...if it weren't for alternative medicine, I wouldn't be here today.

I've found from my own experience that vitamins and herbs work far better for me than many allopathic medicines. I tend to be very sensitive to drugs that most people would have no problem with. I've gotten side effects that leave my doctor shaking his head in disbelief. At one time, a supposedly benign medication almost killed me.

If the results are there, why knock it? For instance, I used herbal remedies to reduce my cholesterol levels by almost 100 points in a six-week period, without the side effects of regular cholesterol medications.

The main problem I've seen with JWs is not their willing acceptance of alternative treatments, but their lack of research into them. In the congregation with which I was associated, people would run in hordes to the alternative practioner du jour without ever checking anything. If an elder's wife tried something and liked it, EVERYONE would start doing the same thing...whether or not that particular modality was indicated for them and their circumstances.

• You Know
    You Know

You know what they say about averages don't ya? A guy with is feet frost bitten and his head on fire, is on the average, doing okay. / You Know

• larc
    larc

One other point,

In 1970 the average life span in China and South Korea was 60, while ours was 71. Do you think they went from 60 in 1970 to 71 in 1992 because "ancient" wisdom? It is more likely that the numbers went up because they adopted western, modern medical practices.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Hey Larc...don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. (hehe) What we need to do is to combine the best of all of the therapies. Allopathic medicine is best in certain cases, and herbal/homeopathic therapies are best in other situations. Don't go hardline on me, now!

• larc
    larc

You Know,

That was a really snappy answer, but it really doesn't prove a thing. At least statistics, when properly used can reveal truth. Your poetic words really don't mean anything.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

BTW, larc, you need to remember that the Eastern death statistics are often skewed by the propensity of young Chinese farmers to get trampled by a water buffalo after drinking too much saki (or is that Japanese?.....whatever)

• larc
    larc

RHW,

I am sure glad you never got trampled by one of your horses. First of all, I would miss you, plus you would have messed up our national average, since you probably will live to be a hundred and twenty.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Don't forget that when you are doing statistics, you are dealing in averages. Remember what those are? In the middle ages the average age of death was 30. Does that mean most people died at age 30? By no means. People lived long lives, many into their 80's and 90's, but there was high infant mortality, and that brought down the averages. One very wise man said "There are three main lies: statistics, statistics, and statistics." You can make a statistic say whatever you want it to say. For instance: 3 high school boys compete in a race. The third boy comes in last, so he loses. The school newspaper can report that he came in 3rd. The first boy comes in first so he wins. The newspaper can report he was third from the last. All are true statements but mislead the reader.

• Liberty
    Liberty

There is a real pattern you are detecting here. In my JW days they were all into Reflexology and herbs, some even did it for a living. I'm open to alternate med.s but find it immensly hipocrytical for the same JW who won't let you take an Eastern exercise program like Yoga or a martial art like Tai-Kwon-Do will happily use ancient Eastern medical theories formed from Toaism. Just another example of JW incinsistancy.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Well said Runningman.

Slipnslideius Masterus: ... Strength and Honor ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit