Biblical references ?

by KGB 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KGB
    KGB

I have noticed that a lot of you here quote references of history from scripture, so my question is this. If you say that the bible is not the true word of God then how can it even be a true word of History.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The bible has been shown to be amazingly accurate. Much of it's history matches or parallels secular history, some doesn't. There's debate about WHEN Jericho fell, but not that it was struck by a catyclismic event about 13 centuries BC, the Bible was the only reference to a people called the Hittites, until recently, now we see they controled Egypt for a while., etc etc etc. The bible isn't meant to be History in the sense we understand the word, it's the story or history of God relating to His people.

• KGB
    KGB

no thoughts aey ? hmmmmmmmm

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    If you say that the bible is not the true word of God then how can it even be a true word of History.

While it's true that I don't accept the bible as the word of god, I also don't accept that anyone can be so dumb as to sincerely ask what you just asked.

• KGB
    KGB

Boy I bet Im much older and wiser than you. If you cannot answer to my thread with a halfway polite response then stay the hell away from it. Or are you just born to be a jerk?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Hehe. . umm. . if I wrote a book it would not be inspired by god, but could still be historically sound. . .

Are history books inspired by god?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question; and I'm not trying to be rude.

• KGB
    KGB

stinkypantz,

The reason for my question is this many say the bible is a lie and that is it incorrect. That simply said,

if it's a lie then the whole is a lie too. Thats where I am coming from.

• KGB
    KGB

In other words if God inspired the men to write the history part and it is correct then why would'nt the spiritual part be correct too....????

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well KGB, I don't think that anyone would say that the Bible is 100% wrong. Even we athiests/agnostics won't go that far. Most books have some grain of truth in them, even if the majority is false.

• smurfette
    smurfette

The bible has historical value because it was written by people! It was written by people who were generally contemporaies of the time period they were writing about. That's not to say it's an exact history, far from it. I personally have the same view of the bible I do of the Epic of Gilgamesh. The Epic began as the true tale of a sumerian king and after beig retold over centuries each teller added to it until Gilgamesh's story became almost pure fiction. This is of course just my opinion & I do not mean to offend those who belive in the divine inspiration of the bible. I just don't share that faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit