Letter from a friend in Iraq

by Yerusalyim 117 Replies latest social current

• onacruse
    onacruse

Yeru:

When the UN can point to a record of successful intervention and nation building, I'll concede the point that they should be involved.

Well, I'm sure no political scientist, but from what I've seen over the last 40 years of my adult life, your point is right on the mark. If anything, my impression is that the UN frets and wrings its hands, waits for external circumstances to dictate the course of history, and only then steps in to try and take some credit for ameliorating the situation.

So much for the UN being the 8th world power. LOL

Craig

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Yeru,

I'm still curious about whether MAJOR E. R. saw your copy of the letter. He seems to be aware of a version with the Syria/WMD addition, but does he possibly think that was added to the letter that his Church seems to have received from him or the totally different version that you posted from your friend. The only Syria reference I've seen was not on the "Church" version.

In other words, did you email him a reference copy of the letter you posted. It sounded like you didn't. And he said he couldn't get to the link you provided.

(If he said any more than what you posted, it also would be interesting to know if he knows the date of the letter in question. His Church is supposedly giving a different date than the one on the letter. Outside of the Church date it would appear that he sent the letter about 3 weeks after he wrote it.)

Gamaliel

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I sent Maj Rydbom originally, the Snoop.com link. He was unable to access that, I'm assumming it was blocked by the folks operating the LAN he's on over there. My assumption is that he's already aware this letter is being spread over the net and was told or asked about the "Syria/WMD issue, which he says he didn't write. I've not seen that version, just the one I have, and the more full text on Snoop. I then sent him the copy I posted here to ask if that was his text, he said it was. I've posted the full text of his responses to me.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ona

The wt/ngo scandal made me aware of another way that the un works, which is not readily seen on the surface, or publicised, generally. That is, by having groups, orgs, churches etc join as ngo's, promising to spread the un gospel. This method of affecting world change is quite subtle, working on a lower level. If or how well it works isn't something that i have looked into.

SS

• Jayson
    Jayson

Simon I'll go half way on this. The UN has a record of successful nation building in eastern europe & all over the world. They are sucessful at disarming Nations willing to disarm. They are great at humanitarian efforts. But when it comes to intervention they are helpless. The UN pulls the USA and the UK to a lesser exent into every conflict in the world. It has to stop. The UN should not be allowed to go on as it is for many reasons. Some of which are USA problems, some of which are western europe problems, and some of which are rouge countries and dictator countries which do not deserve the protection of international law. As long as there is "open enrollment" in the UN I will be in favor of the US pulling out of it 100%. imo you should be too for your country. We all should. It would go along way in ending the "meddling" that you talk of. (And which I agree with)

• onacruse
    onacruse

SS, you raise an interesting point. I don't think I'd be going too far out on a limb to say that the real political agendas that change this world are worked out behind closed doors, and that the power brokers who develop world policy are hardly ever well-known public figures. Mere speculation on my part, but if true, would suggest that the UN may in fact, indirectly, have more influence over the world scene than I credit.

Jayson, would you characterize the UN as generally proactive, or reactive?

Craig

• Francois
    Francois

Isn't it just AMAZING how some of the armchair generals in command here can pronounce themselves unmoved, mainly on account that if what this post is saying is correct, it blows up their dearly held, preconceived notions?

Simon, your closely held predilictions are showing. Perhaps you should go bite Blair on the ankle and leave Bush and the USA alone.

Monday morning quarterbacks. Gotta love 'em.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Yeru,

Thanks. I just talked to his Eric Rydbom's wife, Audrey, for nearly half an hour. She tried to clear things up but my own impression is that she wasn't fully aware that her clarification causes more problems than it solves.

I posted the gist of my conversation with her on another thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/55935/818866/post.ashx#818866

Gamaliel

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    The USA has done too good a job of trying to rubbish the UN

I'm sure most Americans would love to see the UN out of this country. It's been in N.Y. for over 50 years, the building is getting old.... they need new digs. What country wants to volunteer to take them? They are such "nice" guests.... oh by the way, the hosting country will have to pay a large part of the expenses (taxpayer money) and the 'guests' can literally get away with various crimes, including murder. (They owe NYC millions of dollars in unpaid parking tickets... they park anywhere they please and thumb their noses at the hosting country)...

For the last several years they were taking in more money with kickbacks from the Iraq Oil for Palaces Humanitarian Aid program, but unfortunately that was discontinued because Saddam skeddaled his sorry as*.

Ok... who wants to take the UN for the next 50 years??? I think London would be ideal.

• Satanus
    Satanus

London. Capital idea, double. Maybe the queen has a spare castle that would be suitable.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit