Are Posters Here Getting A Bit Thin Skinned?

by rem 62 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

I can't believe I'm starting a thread on this after four years of participating on JW discussion boards. Lately there seems to be a band of posters who believe that all opinions must be respected (WTF?). They believe that any type of criticism or alternate viewpoints constitute an 'attack'. What's worse is that most of them make these false accusations without even reading or comprehending what was really said.

Sure I've seen this type of stuff before on these boards, but never at this scale. Is this board degrading into a cesspool of thin-skinned whiners? It seems that some threads get so sidetracked by these whiners that you can no-longer discuss the topic. A bunch of goody-two-shoes come out of the wood work just to call you 'arrogant' and make false accusations about things you never said. The scary thing is that these people really think they are open minded!

It's just sad to see this on a public discussion board.

rem

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

F # # #K YOU!

. just testing

• rem
    rem

You crazy! haha

rem

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think that as the moon gets fuller, people get more froggy and feel like jumping. After the full moon is over, things get back to normal around here.

Rob

• logansrun
    logansrun

rem,

I have only been participating in DBs for about a year now, and at this board for less than half that time so I don't know if the current "thin-skinnedness" is a new development or has always been that way to some extent. I think this board is simply a microcosm of the larger world -- you have a tiny fraction that are very intelligent and logical (I'm not even sure I would put myself in that category), various levels of the aforementioned qualities in different strata of the members, and a large chunk of really scientifically and philosophically underdeveloped minds. Then you have the "moralists" who will jump in to defend anyone -- along with their views -- that are in the least way being questioned by superior minds. This is a problem in larger society as well. Think of how many people believe that all religions are equal and that everyone should respect everyone elses ideas. To a limited degree this is true, but it's been taken to a disgusting extreme. I sometimes wonder if these people believe anything beyond "you must respect everybody and their ideas"! Postmodernist rubbish.

Bradley

• onacruse
    onacruse

rem, you raise a very good question. You (and many others) have been in the Internet db environment much longer than me, and even just this last couple of weeks I've learned a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of this venue.

I definitely fit into the "thin-skinned" category. I don't feel this is a weakness on my part, nor do I feel that it's a badge of honor. It's just the way I am. I obviously have the option of changing (toughening?) myself to conform to this environment; that's not an option I will choose.

There are some posters that deserve to be "raked over the coals." imho some of those who have the tendency to speak frankly and forcefully may simply need to learn who to gore and who not to gore?

Craig

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    I sometimes wonder if these people believe anything beyond "you must respect everybody and their ideas"! Postmodernist rubbish.

Logansrun, you are my new favorite poster!

I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

-LisaBObeesa

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Put me with onacruse here. I feel that however wrong-headed I may view people's ideas as, they still deserve my respect. That doesn't mean that I won't disagree with them, point out what I feel is wrong with their viewpoint, etc. But in the end, I feel that people's opinions deserve respect regardless of their merit. And I'm not ashamed of that view.

I want to add that this is a matter of personality. (If any of you know the Myers-Briggs typology, I think it's often a matter of T vs. F types.) To some people, a person and their ideas are separable. They will happily attack a person's ideas, and don't understand why the person was hurt or offended; they were merely attacking the ideas, not the person. Conversely, they are happy to have their own ideas attacked, and don't mind defending them.

There are others, however, who believe that ideas are inseparable from people. (This can get into a philosophical debate... do ideas have inherent existence, or do they only exist when they are thought?) That doesn't mean that they're not willing to have discussions and have their ideas challenged; but it means that they consider an attack on an idea to be an attack on a person.

I've seen a quote attributed to H. L. Mencken. It says: "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same way that we respect his belief that his wife is beautiful and his children are intelligent." Even if you believe that someone else is an idiot, what do you gain by actually telling them that? Absolutely nothing.

• minimus
    minimus

Everyone should be able to express their opinion as long as they follow Simon's rules here. One thing that I know is that people are people no matter what their religion is or is not. If someone feels one certain way about a matter, there are usually 3 possibilities that will come about. #1---They will steadfastly continue their belief---#2---They will change their opinion----#3----They will be more open-minded to other options. It's when a person refuses to see that another person is entitled to their opinion that we can get thin skinned.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Lately there seems to be a band of posters who believe that all opinions must be respected (WTF?). They believe that any type of criticism or alternate viewpoints constitute an 'attack'.

I dont believe this is true. Where is this "band"? People are allowing debate, its just that "a band" of people are asking them to debate like adults rather than like a bunch of kids. One doesnt have to be thin skinned to act like an adult.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit