Hugs from Geordieland!

by Sunbeam 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this forum and previously on the old H20 for a long time now. And have probably read every word that's appeared on Randy's site too.

Finally decided it was rude to enjoy all your insights without at least introducing myself :). And although I've never met you, I feel a great deal of affection for many of the old-timers (H20-wise) like Farkel, Cygnus (where did he go?) and Uncle Bruce as well as for relative newbies like Mommy and Had Enough. So now I feel like an affectionate stalker :I...

As the Brits among you will gather, I live in Black & White-ville in the North-East of England. Anyway, brief history: A few years ago I met a gorgeous chap at a nightclub who later turned out to have some bizarre beliefs (no blood, etc., not to mention believing in God and the Bible), ended up married to him and endured major guilt trips from JW mother-in-law, did my homework on the web(thanks folks) and talked him out of the blood card thing. Fast forward a few years - I'm still bugged for some reason by this JW thing, probably due to the occasional motherly reminders I receive that he loves me so much that he gave up his 'chance' of eternal life for me. Eventually convince him that it's a cult and that we need to get his mother out.

I've been working on this, following Steve Hassan's advice. I've had some support from my husband, but he's now got a very low tolerance threshold when it comes to his mum. Whenever she speaks to him, he just hears a rehashed Watchtower article and it drives him to distraction. They used to be very close, up until his late teens, but the truth about 'the truth' has destroyed any respect he might have had for her. Now he's mostly embarrassed by her, especially as she's quite vocal about her beliefs.

We got it all wrong at first, producing evidence that the Society has lied, and were met with the usual responses - 'it's Satan', 'what are your motives for telling me this?', 'the Society doesn't lie' and, the best yet, when reminded that the Bible doesn't include some JW doctrines, 'well, they didn't write everything down'. This one left me open-mouthed, what can you say in response?

So, we've tried to re-establish our relationship by organising family outings and now she's sent me the 'Creator' book as a thank you for the last excursion. She's not keen on discussing the Bible any more, ever since she discovered that I can out-proof text her. So, what do you think should be the next step? There are so many errors in this book, I don't know where to begin. All advice gratefully received.

I've rambled on too long already. Thanks for listening. Just one last thing. Whilst trying to prove the dishonesty of the WT, I learned a lot about God and the Bible and 2 years ago I was zapped by the Holy Spirit. So my poor husband now has a born again Christian wife to contend with as well. He likes to take the mickey out of me, especially as I was once so incredulous that he could believe all that mad God stuff. 'Oh yeah', he'll say, 'it's all different now that Jesus wants you for a ...

Sunbeam
    xxx

Of course, it's very nice that I've had a spiritual experience but I'm still destined to die at Armageddon because my 'organisation' won't tell me to be a pacifist.
    (Sigh)

• JAVA
    JAVA

Sunbeam, I have an old coffee grinder that goes by that name.
    It's nice meeting you and thanks for sharing your bio. I don't have much advice about dealing with your mother-in-law except to say it sounds like you're handling it as well as can be. As for you becoming a "born again Christian wife," I'll pray for your spouse. You really know how to torture the poor guy, or perhaps you're just getting back at him for dragging you into the JW craziness. Anyway, welcome to the forum; it's nice having you here.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• ISP
    ISP

Welcome.......ISP here from Manchester!

Best

ISP

• dmouse
    dmouse

Hiya Sunbeam, welcome to the board!
    I envy you your spiritual experience. I used to have a faith but I lost it...clumsy of me I know, and I really miss it now but wherever I look it ain't there. Perhaps God will make me a new one some day? I hope so, sometimes it gets lonely inside your head with only yourself to talk to.
    Your mother-in-law may be too old to change now, sometimes it's best to let things be. Loss of faith at an advanced age can kill.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi Sunbeam,
    Welcome aboard. Everyone here has a story, and we are happy to hear yours too. My mother is an 88 year old, died in the wool JW, and there is no way she will ever change. She drives me crazy, and at this point in my life, I am avoiding her to keep my sanity. I keep "losing it" when I am with her, so it's best for me to just stay away. I agree with the last poster that it is best to let it drop. Too old to change, and it wouldn't be good for them. For me, it would lay a huge problem at my feet, if she were to leave the organization. She would be all my problem again. Right now, she is theirs, and they can have her!! Don't lecture me anyone!! She isn't your mother, and you don't know what I go through. A good friend has called her a "toxic mother" and I think that pretty well describes her.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi Sunbeam,

Welcome aboard the board. I received the "Creator" book as a gift too. Still got mine and wrote a brief critique on this board in February. I'll see if I can find it later this evening.

BTW, my brother (1st son) lives up your way, between Chester-le-Street and Newcastle. I used to visit the region quite frequently 20 years ago.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• LDH
    LDH
    died in the wool JW

OK, anybody else but me out there laughing?

Mulan, I know you meant 'dyed' in the wool, but dangit girl, that was funny.

Sunbeam, welcome to our humble little abode.

I guess any religion is fine, as long as NOT taken to extremes. Ha ha your poor husband, though.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Okay, LDH,I'm embarrassed!! I did mean dyed in the wool. Freudian slip maybe, eh? Should be died in the wool. Never mind. That was mean of me.

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Sunbeam,
    Welcome to the group.

neyank

• COMF
    COMF
    died in the wool JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit