Hugs from Geordieland!

by Sunbeam 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Oh COMF that is WAY too funny! I'm going to print it out.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, it's great that someone "wants you for a Sunbeam!"

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with mum, but mum's have so many agenda's on the go.

"I want the best for my son", "If only my son could meet a nice girl", "You're not good enough for him", " He's not good enough for you!" etc etc.

Now, if you think that mum's hold onto their sons, see how they hold on to their daughters!

Now throw in a pinch of dub teachngs and you have mayhem!

Englishman, who seen Newcastle United play a few times....

• mommy
    mommy

Sunbeam,
    What a great name! I lol at "affectionate stalker" Silly, aren't all stalkers affectionate? Glad you pulled up a chair and sat down with us.

A few days ago I talked to my mother, I was riled ater a post was made by TR. After being out for over 8 years I finally broke down,and was the first one to bring religion up. I had always "listened" as my mother preached to me, always respecting her choice. But then it hit me, she didn't respect mine, she doesn't even care what I believe in, since I am not a JW. So as I said I asked her a few basic things that contradictd themselves in the JW faith. And she was very receptive to me, admitting to not being familiar with all of the topics I spoke of. She also encouraged me to compile them, and send to her. Uggghhhh What had I gotten myself into?[8>] This is a bigger project than I had planned. I want to be precise and stick to the point so she will follow carefully.

I want to say that a small part of me is very excited, if I could help her leave the cult I will be so excited. But I also fear about her leaving, she has spent alot of years in this org. She has lost some of her family, and also a husband, when they left. And now she is older and also ill. I fear that this may be a great blow to her knowing that she spent her life in vain.

So I think all aspects need to be weighed out, and a personal decision needs to be made, based on each individual. Only you know your mother in law, and only you can make a decision on what you feel is best for her.

I wish you the best. And it is great to have you.
    wendy

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello Sunbeam:

What a lovely name...warm and inviting! Reminds me of the pet name by dear dad had for me..."Sunshine".

Welcome to the board and good to read your experience. I like the term you gave yourself.. "affectionate stalker".

I certainly hope you can find peace in your family with the mish-mash of religious beliefs you all have. You seem to be on the right track of gathering info on JWs by coming here and Randy's site. There's still a wealth of info out there which I believe can be accessed through his site. I'm sure others will guide you to where to find any answers you need.

I'm still at the point where I'm gathering scads of info and organizing it in a binder for the possible time when I can discuss things with my family. First I want to find my own "happy place" as I call it, of what I believe in, so I still have a lot of research to do.

Thank you for the mention and I look forward to more posts from you.

Had Enough

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Sunbeam

Love your name! Along with everyone else, let me say, welcome to the board!

Don't have any advice to add about the mum in law...I can't even figure out how to handle my own mom, much less anyones else's

I know what Mommy is saying, about not knowing if it would be better for them at their age to acknowledge anything different. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more from you. And take it easy on hubby!

think41self

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome, Sunbeam!

Look forward to more of your comments!

P.S. Did you ever post on H2O? Your story about meeting your guy sounds familar.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Welcome to the board Sunbeam,
    You are a braver woman than I. I am dealing with my parents who will speak to me if I call them. But they show zero interest in my personal life since I da'ed myself in June of 2000.
    Sometimes I really have to bite my tongue, especially when Dad starts talking about this system of things ending. I am not sure I really want to open that can of worms.
    Keep us updated on your progress with your M-in-law.
    TW

• bijou
    bijou
    'Oh yeah', he'll say, 'it's all
    different now that Jesus wants you for a ...

Sunbeam

That reminds me of my daughter. When she was around 3, I used to play that song for her all the time. I had a tape of Christan music for kids. She never heard the lyrics quite right. She used to sing proudly "A zombie, a zombie, Jesus wants me for a zombie!"

It was cute....but ominous, since I was studying with the JWs at the time

Welcome to the board. Lots of great info here. Some of these people saved me from ever becoming a witness thanks to the info they put up on their web pages!

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

My husband appreciates the sympathy vote. Although he does concede that I seem a lot happier these days, he's still bemused by my transformation from heavy metal rock chick to 'bible-hugging burger-phobe'(he's a devout carnivore, I'm a veggie).

ISP - I spent my undergraduate days in 'Mad'chester. How's the rain these days?

DM - cripes Chief, there's nothing special about me, all I did was follow the instructions, and it took me 5 years of JW-related research to find them! Eventually a friend pointed me to her church's web site - http://www.church.org.uk/ and I found the sermons there a really useful source of info about basic Christian beliefs. The gospel had never been presented to me before, so I found the content of their introductory 'invitation services' a revelation. At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, all I can say is just keep on asking ...

Thirdson - small world isn't it? We happen to live between Chester-le-Street and Newcastle too. Your brother probably knows my husband. If so, he's bound to remember him (and shudder) - an independent thinker with an untheocratic hairsytle! I don't remember seeing your 'Creator' critique, but if you've got some good leading questions that I could use in any follow-up discussions that would be a great help.

Prisca - I've never posted before, perhaps you are thinking about Gretchen...

I'll keep you updated on our progress with the m-in-law, but I don't expect it to be very rapid. She's only in her 50's, so I think time's still on our side. She's also a widow and quite isolated socially. She has the usual routine of typical JW part-time job and door-knocking, etc., but beyond that she's very alone. Her friends are all married and don't seem to involve her in their own family outings. Her JW-ness has alienated the rest of her family, so there's practically no contact there either. She's been quite depressed and ill recently, so we've tried to step in to fill some of the gaps in her social life. We're backing this up with letters and gifts.

So it's just a case of waiting for opportunities to plant doubts about God working through an organisation of infallible, over-enthusiastic, deaf men. If only God would stop playing Chinese whispers via the Holy Spirit perhaps they would get it right. Naughty God!

I've never heard of anyone who regrets finding out the truth about 'the truth', so I'll keep praying and planning for as long as it takes. Thanks again for the support and the info.

Sunbeam
    xxx

PS Have you noticed all the mother-related posts recently? Not so many father posts. Don't jump all over me girls, but why do so many women become such fanatical JWs?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi Sunbeam,

The "Creator" post asked some basic questions. The thread starts here: --> http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=2768&site=3

E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll tell you some things privately and see if there is a connection to some of my family.

Regards,

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit