Question for elders or ex elders

by northern girl 73 Replies latest jw friends

• northern girl
    northern girl

Could anyone tell me what the policy is when a DFed person wants reinstatement?

Are they questioned about their behavior while DFed or does that have any relevance since they were outside WTS policy during that time?

northern girl.

• rocketman
    rocketman

When a person seeks reinstatement, the elders will want to know if whatever activity the person was df'd for has ceased. Whether they will be interested in what happened in the intervening months depends on the situation. If the person engaged in some activity during those months that still raise doubt in the elders' minds that they are truly repentant, they may be asked to wait until the elders are satisfied that the activity has ceased for a long enough time for them to feel comfortable about reinstating the person.

• gumby
    gumby

Ah! An Ex- Elder who gave the correct answer short and to the point. Well said rocketman

A dub seeking re-instatement is watched and judged much more carefully than a dub not in trouble. One must be on their best behavior with no foul-ups for re-instatement to be considered. I remember a poor brother trying to quit drinking to seek re-instatement and we had to ask him......"have you had ANY drinks"? His answer depended on whether or not to consider him for re-instatement.

Gumby

• northern girl
    northern girl

My point is though, not what a person was DFed for but their lifestyle while DFed. Is this any business of the elders since the person was not IN anyway.

I'm not talking about murder or anything like that, just not up to the standards of the WTS. Is the person expected to 'fess all?

northern girl.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It will just depend on the particular bros you're dealing with. Any group of elders will want to know what your lifestyle is NOW. If you were a guy, df'd for smoking, they might not bother to ask about other things beyond smoking. If you're a young attractive girl df'd for smoking, you'll likely be asked about your "dating" life.

Hey, they're just imperfect men!

• gumby
    gumby

Let's say you got DF'ed for smoking. While you were DF'ed you went to bars, slept around, and got into drugs. When it comes to re-instatement......then those things you did will not matter if you are completely free of them and the elder body is convinced of it.

( I think sixer said the same thing but it sounds better to me when I say it)

Gumby

• northern girl
    northern girl

gumby:

The way you say it, it sounds like the elders know about the persons 'short comings' while OUT. If they aren't aware, is the person obligated to tell them ... northern girl.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

Usually what is monitored is the persons behavior starting with the time they make an effort to come back. It is assumed that when a person is d-f'd they engage in all kinds of "unscriptural" things. If you blew out candles on a birthday cake while you were out they shouldn't care, just don't do it if you want to go back because then that will matter.

• gumby
    gumby
    If they aren't aware, is the person obligated to tell them ...

No. A person does not have to confess every sin they commited after they were disfellowshipped.

Elders are concerned with the sin you were DFed for and that it has ceased.

Gumby

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hey, don't forget the all-important "humility." If you're not sufficiently humble (translation: crawling on your belly and sucking up big time), then you have to wait a little longer until the elders are satisfied that you are properly repentant and humble.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit