Has any one ever put up a..........

by fairy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

This is true!

On arriving at the Kingdom Hall for the Sunday morning meeting there was a For Sale sign outside. As hall servant, I was asked to go round to the estate agents, who opened on Sunday, to ask them if they would take the sign down as quickly as possible.

I asked the P.O. if there was a problem regarding the sign as everyone in the congregation knew we were trying to sell the hall.

"We don't have For Sale signs outside of Kingdom Halls." he replied.

I never knew that! Apparently, KHs can be sold through estate agents but not advertised by sign - or was that just our elders being stupid???

Whatever, the guy who put the sign up came back to take it down - and the sign promptly ended up going through a large window Glass was everywhere!

Eventually the hall was sold - to a spiritualist!

Dansk

• Undecided
    Undecided

There was a forsale sign up for a year for the KH in Eden NC. No one wanted it I guess so they took it down. I helped design and build the original part of this hall. I can still remember how happy we were at our first meeting there. It was a memorial night and I was giving the memorial talk as it was called back then in the sixties. We had worked hard to get it built, it was the first KH in Eden. We didn't have the seats installed yet and we had borrowed some folding chairs from the funeral home.

Not all my memories are bad from my JW days, I had a lot of good times also, I know it was a waste of time and labor now. I never experienced the hurt that so many others have from the family shunning but I wasted so much of my life for that cult, but I did have some good times back then. I'm not full of anger like so many here except sometimes when I think of those old men who claim to be God's special dispensers of all truth and expect all the little grunts to even give their life to honor Jehovah them.

Ken P.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

There was a "For Sale" sign on the local KH for months! Nobody would buy it. I wonder why? That was a couple of years ago.

Spanner

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

At my old KH somebody put a big Santa poster on the door. They put stickies on the back of it to hold it up. One of the MS ripped it off and wanted to call the police. The PO said not to bother since there was no damage and the person who did it would love for them to call the police over something so petty. See not ALL elders are stupid.

• freedom96
    freedom96

This year I am going to put up Christmas decorations and take pictures. It will be so funny!

• jws
    jws
    I have never advocated vandalizing especially things pertaining to dubs. It serves no purpose and only solidifies their beliefs to a greater degree.

I think vandalism is all in whether damage is done. Did you break anything? Has what you've done cost them money?

I sorta like the idea of maybe jack-o-lanterns or maybe even x-mas lawn decorations. Something to mislead the passers by as to what the JW stand is on things. Leave them having to explain it. Maybe even stumble somebody.

But, for the most part, these things don't do any damage or cost them money (unless you plug in lights into their outdoor outlets - and even then, that's not a terrible amount of money - stash a "donation" if you feel bad about it). The only thing they have to do is remove it, so I wouldn't call it vandalism.

Although you are right. It may reinforce their beliefs that everybody is focused on them and trying to persecute them.

What might be funny (to me), but not as shocking as x-mas or Halloween items would be something like a banner that reads "God bless everyone" or "Jesus loves you". It's one of those little phrases that are incorrect for JWs, but really is a good thought that you would expect a religion to express and technically even a JW can't say it's unchristian. It's not like jack-o-lanterns or X-mas decorations where they have a ready-made case to say why they're against them. It's hard for them to say why these statements are wrong, especially to the public. Might leave people wondering why they would rush to take down such a banner? Why are those statements so embarassing to them? Are they Satan worshippers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit