"Beware the Voice of the WTS"

by undercover 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Sorry I'm posting this in here, and I don't mean the hijack the thread, but is the system jacked up right now or is it my ISP. I'm getting a lot of garble, things not coming in framed, etc etc etc.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    have found this though, among dubs not surprisingly, when I recounted a news item that I had read on the net and met with skepticism . They are unable to appreciate the difference between a BBC News site and say a chat room personal experience

This is often true. I wonder how many American dubs even know what the BBC is....

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watch Tower Publishing Corporation, by nature, is the media.

• jwsons
    jwsons

"Beware the Voice of the Strangers" I think it also published somewhere in the latest Watchtower. It stranges, for usually it will be published a couple of months after the District Convention.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Just an update on the recording of this talk - I have it formatted to MP3, all I have to do is upload it with my speedy dialup connection

I still have to go through the Great Teacher book before my mother places it with her bible study

• mizpah
    mizpah

The Watchtower Society has so many double standards that it would be difficult to list them all. It has never hesitated to use the News Media when it was to its own advantage. It encouraged JWs to use its resources when reporting assembly programs or the building of new Kingdom Halls. It put the Watchtower in a favorable light and helped to win new converts.

It is only when the media reports things which are unfavorable to the Society and Jehovah's Witnesses that it becomes part of the "Satan's organization." Then, JWs are warned not to have anything to do with this evil system.

However, in spite of the restrictions, I'm sure many JWs seek out information from curiosity or for knowledge. And this is the real danger that the Watchtower fears. In any repressive system, the freedom of the press is the greatest danger because it allows individuals the freedom of choice.

• smack
    smack

So does my friend the JW in Sydney have to sell his ISP? It's not bigpond, but it isn't small either.

Steve

• AlanF
    AlanF

VM44, I suspect that "run dont walk" is referring to the January 1, 1989 Watchtower which said that the preaching work would be completed "in our 20th century". This phrase was changed in the bound volume to read "in our day". The change has been the topic of much derision against Watchtower because of its obvious backpedaling.

Interestingly, the original article seems to have been written by one Gene Smalley, a rather unpleasant man who is now a "Given One" (Nethinim, GB helper, etc.) because of his amazing ability to suck up to the powers that be. I hear tell that he got some flack over it. But not too much, since as such a high official he was merely reflecting the majority sentiment among the Governing Body at the time. That's why the phrase passed muster with the GB "editors" first time around.

AlanF

• blondie
    blondie
    I wonder how many American dubs even know what the BBC is....

Beryl, sad to say, I wonder how many people in the US period know what the BBC is?

Blondie

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

At the convention I went to, the "Strangers" talk also had warnings to young dubs about listening to their classmates. The manipulativeness was so blatant it was almost funny. "Why would you trust your classmates rather than your parents who love you and have raised you?" I'm serious, they actually said that.

When discussing the Internet, the speaker asked: "What about websites that are supposedly developed by Jehovah's Witnesses? Do we know that for a certainty?" The loyal dubs at Jwzone and PLN must be feeling pretty shafted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit