Will the Watchtower take down their website?

by integ 33 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

The Watchtower's website is just a feature of their campaign to misinform the public, serving to show the "world" that they are not against new technologies. Besides, they never come right out and tell their members to stay off the Internet any more than they came right out and said the end would come in 1975. They just give "encouragement" that the "spiritually strong" dutifully follow, protecting themselves from the dangers of the Internet.

Their website was never meant for the r/f, anyway. It's for those yet in spiritual darkness.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Welcome, Paterfamilias !!!!!

Great to have you with us !!!!

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Well I brought up a post some weeks ago re their site, link below, hope it works, it decribes the "generation" pre 95 definition and I quote

"How long a time period would these last days prove to be? Jesus said regarding the era that would experience the "beginning of pangs of distress" from 1914 onward: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:8, 34-36) Thus, all the features of the last days must take place within the lifetime of one generation, the generation of 1914. So some people who were alive in 1914 will still be alive when this system comes to its end. That generation of people is now very advanced in years, indicating that there is not much time left before God brings this present system of things to an end".

They are misleading the public on this...........I check the page periodically and it never changes,

http://www.watchtower.org/library/pr/index.htm

Jgull

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

Thanks for the welcome, Hamas.

Johnathan, thanks for that link showing that the old "generation" explanation is still on the site. I found the exact quote in the God's Purpose Soon to Be Realized article linked from that page. Unbelievable. I'm wondering if they're even aware that this is still there. Web site content management doesn't exactly seem to be their forte. If they're going to have a web site, they've got to keep it up with present truth™. Maybe the truth is just too much of a moving target. In that case, it might be better if they took the site down; it could save some embarrassment.

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Paterfamilias..........first of all a huge welcome here, you are amonst friends , my friend ........I've taken the opportunity to write to the headquarters here in Germany on the premise that I left the organisation due to the 95 change (ok I lied a little but that's theocratic war right?) and can they reply and explain exactly where they stand on the issue as I would like to start studying again (another white lie oooops sorry)....I personally feel they are misleading the public...........it's been two weeks, I don't expect a reply but you never know, I'll keep you posted..........by the way we look forward to your story if or as and when you wish to tell, welcome again.

Best regards

JGull

"What he had once hoped for the Flock, he now gained for himself alone; he learned to fly, and was not sorry for the price that he had paid. Jonathan Seagull discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that a gull's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long and fine life indeed." Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

I just remembered that the watchtower.org site itself is newer than the '95 change. I remember that for the longest time, that domain name had been registered, but there was nothing more than a blank page up. If memory serves, it wasn't until sometime in '96 that the site actually went live. That, of course, would mean the article was out-of-date at the time it was first posted, and they had to know that.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

By the way: Welcome PaterFamilias, glad to see you here.

There are times when I question why they 'the WTBTS' with their admonishment to their followers of the perils of the internet, that they too have a website.

Odd isn't it?

With the internet being such a bastion of demons and infidels, you'd have to wonder, what part of their on-line bandwidth is sactioned by Jehovah himself?

Hmmm

• sf
    sf

deleted

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I wonder if they even really understand this whole internet thing. Many people that I talk to that have never used a computer are quite frankly rather nervous about the internet. The media talks about the dangers and the WTS palys on those fears and worst case stories that are out there.

But more people have to work with computers at their jobs. They are learning computers are not in themselves evil. Some people have to use the internet at work and they are learning that elders won't ring their doorbell to see what they were doing on the net between 3 and 5 pm on Sat afternnon.

Warn anyone about something often enough and they will become curious. Many will obey but some will go hunting.

The borg can't stop that. Ever. Human curiousity is a wonderful thing that can take you to all sorts of informational places.

Yup the net will roll right over the borg in developing countries.

I'm scared for the rest of the world

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The only way for the WTS to make their problems go away is for them to directly, and openly address the issues put forward.

They have been hiding behind the cloak of authority for so long that they don't know how to address problems in this manner.

Freedom of information is the best way to defeat a tyranny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit